    then email that picture and/or count to an email address. Is this
    possible/ feasable for a moderately talented C++ programmer with some
    but limited experience with java?

    Kevin Mader, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Kevin Mader <> wrote:
    > I have a project where I would like to use a nice cell phone equipped
    > with web access and a decent camera and write a program in Java? i
    > think thats what most cell phones use. Make a tone with the speaker.
    > To take a picture with the camera. Count the number of red pixels,
    > then email that picture and/or count to an email address. Is this
    > possible/ feasable for a moderately talented C++ programmer with some
    > but limited experience with java?

    Java 2 Mobile Edition (J2ME) is what you'd be looking for.

    J2ME's feature set is actually much more limited than that of Java2 Standard
    or Enterprise editions, so it'll likely take much less time to learn, but
    you really need a good grounding in basic Java concepts first. That having
    been said, if you know C++, you shouldn't find Java difficult to learn at all.

    Do note that you may not be able to do things that are specific to certain
    phone models (like using the camera) easily, unless the phone manufacturer's
    implementation of J2ME has specific extensions that allow for this. Also,
    I am not sure about accessing files on the phone - that'd probably also fall
    under the category "requiring manufacturer's extensions"...

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    Steven J Sobol, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Kevin Mader

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 26 Jul 2004 17:33:05 -0700, (Kevin Mader)
    wrote or quoted :

    >I have a project where I would like to use a nice cell phone equipped
    >with web access and a decent camera and write a program in Java? i
    >think thats what most cell phones use. Make a tone with the speaker.
    >To take a picture with the camera. Count the number of red pixels,
    >then email that picture and/or count to an email address. Is this
    >possible/ feasable for a moderately talented C++ programmer with some
    >but limited experience with java?

    Yo would count the pixels in the server where you have more
    computational ability and room to do it.

    To get started see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/j2me.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 27, 2004