    It's been online for only a few days but already a couple people have
    written to me about it.

    Bushido Hacks
    Bushido Hacks, May 31, 2005

  2. It's legit. I just doned on me with all those phony Paypal spams, using
    the path cgi-bin and ending it with the Perl extention was not a very
    good idea when posting a link. The link is still good. It's only Perl
    page because I needed a page counter. I'll see ya later.
    Bushido Hacks, May 31, 2005

  3. Bushido Hacks

    Ross Bamford Guest

    On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 23:00 -0700, Bushido Hacks wrote:
    > It's legit. I just doned on me with all those phony Paypal spams, using
    > the path cgi-bin and ending it with the Perl extention was not a very
    > good idea when posting a link. The link is still good. It's only Perl
    > page because I needed a page counter. I'll see ya later.

    It didn't seem to steal my credit card number if thats what you mean :).

    Seriously though, good to see a decent step-by-step for the beginner. I
    have a couple of suggestions if you're interested:

    1) We don't require an IDE - it just helps. I worked for many years with
    JEdit and a command line. Only recently did I switch to Eclipse, because
    only recently have I had enough hardware to make it worthwhile.

    2) Since you're aiming at the beginner, it might be worth including at
    least links to some alternatives. One that springs to mind, and has been
    mentioned in this group before, is BlueJ (http://bluej.org). I have no
    experience with it personally, but it's described on the website as "an
    integrated Java environment specifically designed for introductory
    teaching". Some others are Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) and IntelliJ IDEA
    (http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/) although this last is a commercial
    product.

    3) Have a read of http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html and
    consider linking it from your page.

    Anyway, thanks again for your efforts. Keep up the good work :)

    --
    ++ Ross A. Bamford in ++
    Roscopeco Open Tech ++ Open Source + Java + Apache + 2EE
    Ross Bamford, May 31, 2005