java rename and NFS directory

loial

I see lots of messages in the past re java rename command failing when
accessing files on NFS mounted filesystems. Should this still be an
issue??...I think we are hitting it on AIX. A unix mv command works
fine.

Is there a workaround?

Gordon Beaton

I see lots of messages in the past re java rename command failing
when accessing files on NFS mounted filesystems. Should this still
be an issue??...I think we are hitting it on AIX. A unix mv command
works fine.

Is there a workaround?

Renaming presumably fails when you attempt to move a file across
multiple file systems, which shouldn't be expected to work. The
workaround is to copy then delete the original. Unfortunately it's not
possible to preserve permissions or other attributes when you copy
files in Java.

/gordon

Mike Schilling

Gordon said:
Renaming presumably fails when you attempt to move a file across
multiple file systems, which shouldn't be expected to work. The
workaround is to copy then delete the original. Unfortunately it's not
possible to preserve permissions or other attributes when you copy
files in Java.

You also can't do this atomically; if some failure occurs partway through,
you might wind up with both files existing.