Java RTE problem

Howard Brazee

I think I have some Java RTE problems on my Windows machine. So I
tried to uninstall it and then reinstall it, but the Windows Control
Panel/Add or Remove Programs utility fails to uninstall it.

I see that the Registry lists 1.4, 1.4.1, 1.5, 1.5.0_06, 1.6, 1.6_03,
and under that last one MSI.

My C:\Program Files\Java has the following directories jre1.5.0_06,
jre1.6.0_02, & jre1.6.0_03, although the middle one seems to be
missing most of what's in the other two.

When I try running Eclipse, nothing happens. When I try running
JGrasp, it tells me that my JRE is corrupted. I haven't noticed any
other problems.

What are my safe steps from here (or whom should I contact for better
assistance)?

Knute Johnson

Howard said:
I think I have some Java RTE problems on my Windows machine. So I
tried to uninstall it and then reinstall it, but the Windows Control
Panel/Add or Remove Programs utility fails to uninstall it.

I see that the Registry lists 1.4, 1.4.1, 1.5, 1.5.0_06, 1.6, 1.6_03,
and under that last one MSI.

My C:\Program Files\Java has the following directories jre1.5.0_06,
jre1.6.0_02, & jre1.6.0_03, although the middle one seems to be
missing most of what's in the other two.

When I try running Eclipse, nothing happens. When I try running
JGrasp, it tells me that my JRE is corrupted. I haven't noticed any
other problems.

What are my safe steps from here (or whom should I contact for better
assistance)?

Try to remove it with the control panel then go into C:\Program
Files\Java and delete all the JRE and JDK directories. Download the
latest JDK version, 1.6.0_03 and install it. Remember that on Windows,
XP anyway, you have to set the path to the compiler bin directory. Do
that via Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System,
Advanced Tab, Environment Variables button.

Add C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_03\bin to either PATH. I prefer the
user PATH but that is just me. Remember that it doesn't effect any
already open DOS windows.

That's it, you should be good to go.

Howard Brazee

Try to remove it with the control panel then go into C:\Program
Files\Java and delete all the JRE and JDK directories.

I tried the control panel remove, then did the directory remove.

I rebooted.

I tried installing jre-1_5_0_06-windows-i586-p.exe, but it wouldn't
let me, as it found there was one already installed.
Download the
latest JDK version, 1.6.0_03 and install it.

I downloaded the offline installation file: jdk-6u3-windows-i586-p.exe

This worked for a while then told me there was already a public JRE of
this version installed, do I want to reinstall it?

Yes.
Remember that on Windows,
XP anyway, you have to set the path to the compiler bin directory. Do
that via Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System,
Advanced Tab, Environment Variables button.

I added C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ to the path, I did not
see a user path setting.
Add C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_03\bin to either PATH. I prefer the
user PATH but that is just me. Remember that it doesn't effect any
already open DOS windows.

I did notice that
JAVA_HOME = C:\JBuilderX\jdk1.4
JAVA_RUNTIME= %JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin;%JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib
JBUILDER_HOME = C:\JBuilderX
JUNIT_HOME = C:\junit3.8.1
QTJAVA = C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

Path=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\PROGRA~1\CA\SHARED~1\SCANEN~1;%JAVA_HOME%\bin;%ANT_HOME%\bin;C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1;C:\Program
Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit-32;c:\webapps;C:\Program
Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\

I then rebooted, and was able to run Eclipse.

Thanks for your help in solving my problem.