Java, Ruby, JRuby, JRubify some Java?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Audrey A Lee, Sep 23, 2009.

  1. Audrey A Lee

    Audrey A Lee Guest

    Hello JRuby People,

    I'm not quite ready to JRubyify yet but,
    I'm working on a mini-project which requires that I screen-capture a
    portion of my x-display on a linux box.

    It looks like I can use a class in Java named "Robot" to do this:
    - http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/awt/Robot.html

    I figure any class (even if it is a Java class) named "Robot" deserves
    my attention.

    So I ran this query:
    - http://www.google.com/search?q=java robot screencapture

    And this page looks good:
    - http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0489.html

    I see this example:

    import java.awt.AWTException;
    import java.awt.Robot;
    import java.awt.Rectangle;
    import java.awt.Toolkit;
    import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;
    import java.io.*;
    import javax.imageio.ImageIO;

    class ScreenCapture {
    public static void main(String args[]) throws
    AWTException, IOException {
    // capture the whole screen
    BufferedImage screencapture = new Robot().createScreenCapture(
    new Rectangle(Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getScreenSize
    ()) );

    // Save as JPEG
    File file = new File("screencapture.jpg");
    ImageIO.write(screencapture, "jpg", file);

    // Save as PNG
    // File file = new File("screencapture.png");
    // ImageIO.write(screencapture, "png", file);

    My question:
    Is it possible to transform the above Java-syntax into Ruby-syntax
    which could be interpreted by JRuby?

    Or I could ask it this way:
    How do I transform the above Java-syntax into JRuby-syntax?

    --Audrey
    Audrey A Lee, Sep 23, 2009

  2. Audrey A Lee

    Axel Etzold Guest

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    > Datum: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:25:11 +0900
    > Von: Audrey A Lee <>
    > Betreff: Java, Ruby, JRuby, JRubify some Java?

    > Hello JRuby People,
    >
    > I'm not quite ready to JRubyify yet but,
    > I'm working on a mini-project which requires that I screen-capture a
    > portion of my x-display on a linux box.
    >
    > It looks like I can use a class in Java named "Robot" to do this:
    > - http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/awt/Robot.html
    >
    > I figure any class (even if it is a Java class) named "Robot" deserves
    > my attention.
    >
    > So I ran this query:
    > - http://www.google.com/search?q=java robot screencapture
    >
    > And this page looks good:
    > - http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0489.html
    >
    > I see this example:
    >
    > import java.awt.AWTException;
    > import java.awt.Robot;
    > import java.awt.Rectangle;
    > import java.awt.Toolkit;
    > import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;
    > import java.io.*;
    > import javax.imageio.ImageIO;
    >
    > class ScreenCapture {
    > public static void main(String args[]) throws
    > AWTException, IOException {
    > // capture the whole screen
    > BufferedImage screencapture = new Robot().createScreenCapture(
    > new Rectangle(Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getScreenSize
    > ()) );
    >
    > // Save as JPEG
    > File file = new File("screencapture.jpg");
    > ImageIO.write(screencapture, "jpg", file);
    >
    > // Save as PNG
    > // File file = new File("screencapture.png");
    > // ImageIO.write(screencapture, "png", file);
    >
    > My question:
    > Is it possible to transform the above Java-syntax into Ruby-syntax
    > which could be interpreted by JRuby?
    >
    > Or I could ask it this way:
    > How do I transform the above Java-syntax into JRuby-syntax?
    >
    > --Audrey

    Dear Audrey,

    you can use Java classes in Jruby straight away:

    http://blogs.sun.com/coolstuff/entry/using_java_classes_in_jruby

    For Linux automation, you might want to look at (the non-Java)
    xdotool and its Ruby gem binding xdo:

    http://osdir.com/ml/ruby-talk/2009-08/msg01393.html

    You might combine that with one of the many ways to take screenshots
    in Linux:

    http://tips.webdesign10.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-ubuntu-linux

    Best regards,

    Axel

    Axel Etzold, Sep 23, 2009

  3. Audrey A Lee

    Ilan Berci Guest

    Axel Etzold wrote:

    Your responses were amazingly concise and to the point, I was hoping you
    could provide me with some marriage counseling when you have the time :)

    ilan

    Ilan Berci, Sep 23, 2009