java.security.cert.CertificateException: Could not find trusted certificate

Wendy S

I was asked to do a little command line program that will make sure a server
is up and listening on a port. I need to send it a little transaction and
print out the reply. It's an https:// connection, and I'm getting
"java.security.cert.CertificateException: Could not find trusted
certificate"

On Redhat 8, Mozilla and Konqueror both complain that the certificate
signing authority is unknown or invalid. It is a Verisign certificate, but
it does appear to be slightly different, it comes from "Verisign
International Server CA - Class 3". IE on WinXP does not complain about
the certificate.

I think I got past this once by exporting the certificate on the server and
importing it into the keystore with the 'keytool' utility. However, this
time the server isn't mine. I've tried exporting the certificate from IE
and importing it with 'keytool' (the default password is 'changeit'). But
I still get the same error.

Any ideas on what to try next would be appreciated!