Java Servlet counterpart in .Net?

Christofer Dutz

Hi,

I am thinking about migrating an application of mine to .Net and have run
into this small "problem"
At the moment I would generally compare ASP.Net to JSPs in the Java world. I
know that this might not be 100% correct, but as far as addressing a page
from the browser it is. The real-path of an ASP.Net Site is equal to the
url-path. I would like to register a comonent as listener for an entire
portion of the url. For example let all urls starting with
http://hostname/app1/shop be handled by a servlet-like component.

Ist there a way to do this and if yes - what do I have to do?

Regards,
Chris

John Timney \(MVP\)

ASP.NET and JSP are not that well connected at a conceptual level and there
really isn't a direct equivalent to a servlet, you can probably equate
asp.net and ihttpmodules/handlers to the classic jsp/servlet model in the
scenario you describe below, but you'd be coding asp.net like JSP.

The closest you probably have to a true servlet is the code behind model but
only if you try and code it like a servlet, embedding html type responses
into it for example, which is not the most appropriate use of the
technology. The front controller model your probably eluding too isn't
heavily used in asp.net.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

Christofer Dutz

Hi,

I am trying to completely separate Url and File structure. I was just using
JSPs and Servlets as examples, because of their behaviour concerning Url
handling. Basically I want to create an application framework with wich I
can create a web application and decide if I will deploy it on Java or .Net
without this decision having effect on the code.

I found out about these HTTPModules and HTTPHandlers and am having a look at
them now.

Tanks to you all.

Chris