java socket vs tcp stack parameters in XP

Discussion in 'Java' started by antoine, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. antoine

    antoine Guest

    Hello,

    I'm running a java application on my XP Pro box that should send
    messages to a server.

    I use a regular java socket, and all is fine on this side. all messages
    are sent and received with no problem.

    however, when I analyze the traffic with a sniffer, I can see that, for
    example, when sending 3 messages in a row (writing 3 the 3 messages on
    the socket, but with very little interval time < 1ms), then:
    - the FIRST message is sent immediatly on the wire
    - the SECOND and THIRD messages are sent TOGETHER, but roughly 100ms
    AFTER the first one.

    it looks like the box is waiting for some kind of TCP ACK or heartbeat
    before sending the second and third messages.

    I've looked into ways of improving this, and read a few things about
    TCP/IP stack tuning on solaris (tcp_naglim_def), but have found very
    little info about XP tcp stack tuning apart from modifying the window
    size.

    would anybody know of a good reference to find a solution to this
    problem ?
    would you know which tcp parameters are tunable on XP, and how ?
    what are tcp_deferred_ack_interval ? tcp_nodelay ?
    any help would be greatly appreciated...

    thanks !

    Antoine.
    antoine, Dec 15, 2004