Java software distribution

Berlin Brown

Andrew said:
| Is there any program that will help with the instalation
process?

Java Webstart. Jar your app (maybe) sign it,
make an html document that calls the install
file (a .jnlp extension) and burn the lot
to a CD. Easy peasy (for the user)

| After the instalation , how do i make executable file , so the
client can
| just click on it and be able to use software?

After the installation, it is added to their menus
'single click'. Brill.

| I can connect to the database only if i write a full direcrory
to it ex:
| c:/myproject/database.file . Is there other way to connect to
database , if
| i could usy only /myproject/database.file in case if someone
installs it
| on a different drive?

Use Class.getResource( "database.file" );
to find it..

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson

Just thinking, you probably could install some small jvm, of course
jview(MS) uses 10Mb, probably want something smaller.

Berlin Brown

Andrew said:
message ...
| Just thinking, you probably could install some small jvm, of
course
| jview(MS) uses 10Mb, probably want something smaller.

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us
/vjcore98/html/vjhowviewingapplicationswithjview.asp>
"JVIEW.EXE (JVIEW) is a tool used to view Java
applications and applets. JVIEW provides console
window where your Java programs can run. JVIEW
supports both debug and retail versions of your
applications and applets."

...hmmm. Does anybody besides me have a
peculiar sense of deja-vu when reading that?

[ ..And yes, it was the _same_ cat! ]

--
Andrew Thompson
Has anybody done this with any other jvms, I know they put jvms in

Andrew Thompson

| Is there any program that will help with the instalation
process?

Java Webstart. Jar your app (maybe) sign it,
make an html document that calls the install
file (a .jnlp extension) and burn the lot
to a CD. Easy peasy (for the user)

| After the instalation , how do i make executable file , so the
client can
| just click on it and be able to use software?

After the installation, it is added to their menus
'single click'. Brill.

| I can connect to the database only if i write a full direcrory
to it ex:
| c:/myproject/database.file . Is there other way to connect to
database , if
| i could usy only /myproject/database.file in case if someone
installs it
| on a different drive?

Use Class.getResource( "database.file" );
to find it..

HTH

g_danko

Recently one of my friends asked me if i can write an applet for him wich
will connect to MS Access database file db1.mdb and query some information
from there. I have no problem coding the program for it but i have no idea
how to make it distributable on the cd . Please if you can help these are my
questions ?

Is there any program that will help with the instalation process?
After the instalation , how do i make executable file , so the client can
just click on it and be able to use software?
I can connect to the database only if i write a full direcrory to it ex:
c:/myproject/database.file . Is there other way to connect to database , if
i could usy only /myproject/database.file in case if someone installs it
on a different drive?

The program will be used on a window platforms.

Thank you
Greg

Andrew Thompson

message ....
| Just thinking, you probably could install some small jvm, of
course
| jview(MS) uses 10Mb, probably want something smaller.

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us
/vjcore98/html/vjhowviewingapplicationswithjview.asp>
"JVIEW.EXE (JVIEW) is a tool used to view Java
applications and applets. JVIEW provides console
window where your Java programs can run. JVIEW
supports both debug and retail versions of your
applications and applets."

....hmmm. Does anybody besides me have a
peculiar sense of deja-vu when reading that?

[ ..And yes, it was the _same_ cat! ]

Andrew Thompson

| thank you for your help, unfortunatly i cannot use java web
start , becouse
| it need a connection to the net to get its application,..

No it does not. You can install off a CD.

|...As far a jview , where
| do i download that from , i don't have a J++ .

I do not understand that sentence.

| Thank you. Are there any orher installers?

I suggest you try Webstart off a CD
before you do _anything_ else.

If you cannot make it work, you might
try here for further info. on others..
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html#INSTALLER

g_danko

thank you for your help, unfortunatly i cannot use java web start , becouse
it need a connection to the net to get its application, udates etc, i know
many of the customers will not have internet access. As far a jview , where
do i download that from , i don't have a J++ .
Thank you. Are there any orher installers?
Berlin Brown said:
message ...