Java Software Licensing

Discussion in 'Java' started by tava, Jan 11, 2008.

  1. tava

    tava Guest

    Hello all,

    I found some Java licensing tools:

    Licence Manager
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/licensemanager,

    JavaLicenseKit
    http://members.chello.at/stefan-schneider/JavaLicenseKit.html,

    JLicense tool
    http://www.websina.com/products/jlicense.html

    TrueLicense Library Collection (TLC)
    https://truelicense.dev.java.net/

    Has anyone tried out any of these tools, or have some other (free or
    not too expensive)
    to recomend?

    I am looking for something simple to integrate into a Java product,
    but with some features like expiration dates, posibilites to limit the
    license
    to a user or mashine.

    Thanks in advance!
    Tava.

    tava, Jan 11, 2008

  2. tava

    Guest

    On Jan 11, 6:08 am, tava <> wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I found some Java licensing tools:
    >
    > Licence Managerhttp://sourceforge.net/projects/licensemanager,
    >
    > JavaLicenseKithttp://members.chello.at/stefan-schneider/JavaLicenseKit.html,
    >
    > JLicense toolhttp://www.websina.com/products/jlicense.html
    >
    > TrueLicense Library Collection (TLC)https://truelicense.dev.java.net/
    >
    > Has anyone tried out any of these tools, or have some other (free or
    > not too expensive)
    > to recomend?
    >
    > I am looking for something simple to integrate into a Java product,
    > but with some features like expiration dates, posibilites to limit the
    > license
    > to a user or mashine.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Tava.

    Hi,

    I haven't tried these tools. But my evaluation wasn't very positive
    about these tools, except for the last TrueLicense Library Collection.
    I liked it and I am tempted to enhance it with the new
    java.net.NetworkInterfaces class in JDK 1.6 which contains a method to
    get the MAC address of a computer. So using MultiCast sockets, New IO
    and NetworkInterfaces class it is possible to have a reasonable
    license management.

    newmoon.n

    , Jan 11, 2008

  3. tava

    Guest

    On Jan 11, 7:08 am, tava <> wrote:
    [snip]

    Why do you want to go to extra, specific effort to make your software
    less valuable for your customers? Harder to install, buggier, and so
    forth?

    This is not the best way to ensure a revenue stream. Not by a long
    shot.

    Please don't cripple your software out of a misguided belief that it
    is somehow "necessary" in order to base a profitable business on
    software.

    , Jan 14, 2008
  4. tava

    tava Guest

    On Jan 11, 5:58 pm, "" <> wrote:

    > I haven't tried these tools. But my evaluation wasn't very positive
    > about these tools, except for the last TrueLicense Library Collection.
    > I liked it and I am tempted to enhance it with the new
    > java.net.NetworkInterfaces class in JDK 1.6 which contains a method to
    > get the MAC address of a computer. So using MultiCast sockets, New IO
    > and NetworkInterfaces class it is possible to have a reasonable
    > license management.

    I actualy tried out TLC and it was not too complicated to
    set it up (if you notice that it requieres 'commons-codec-1.3.jar').
    It gives the possibility of using a wizard to install and evaluate
    a license :)

    Good luck if you decide to expand it!
    Thanks for your comment!

    Tava.