Java Software

Dan Peder Eriksen

Does there exists good java software that does this:
News reader
Ftp Client
Filesharing
Cd burner application
Irc client
WWW Browser
CVS client

Did a couple of searches on google.com all I could find was a email client.

Jon A. Cruz

Dan said:
Does there exists good java software that does this:
News reader
Ftp Client
Filesharing
Cd burner application
Irc client
WWW Browser
CVS client

Did a couple of searches on google.com all I could find was a email client.

Sounds like you need a little Google practice.

My first try, I entered:
java cvs client

( which gives me http://www.google.com/search?q=java+cvs+client )

The first hits:

jCVS Home Page
www.jcvs.org/

Java CVS Client
javacvs.netbeans.org/library/

Similar useful results for searching on "java irc client", "java ftp
client", etc.

Oh, and most email programs can do news.

Daniel Dyer

Does there exists good java software that does this:
News reader
Ftp Client

Don't know of any specific examples (try searching on Sourceforge), but
there are several libraries that implement these protocols, attaching a GUI
wouldn't be all that difficult.
Filesharing
http://www.limewire.com

Cd burner application

Not that I know of. It's too low level to do directly in Java without JNI,
but you could write a Java app that wraps command lines tools such as
cdrecord and mkisofs on Linux.
Irc client

Several, one is http://jaicwain.sourceforge.net but there are literally
hundreds. Did you try searching for "Java IRC client"? Try searching
Sourceforge.
WWW Browser

There are a few including Jazilla (http://jazilla.sourceforge.net) and
WebRenderer (http://www.webrenderer.com/), but not as many as you might
hope for.
CVS client

Again there are lots, my personal favourite is at http://www.smartcvs.com
Did a couple of searches on google.com all I could find was a email
client.

Dan.

Joona I Palaste

Dan Peder Eriksen said:
Does there exists good java software that does this:
News reader
Ftp Client
Filesharing
Cd burner application
Irc client
WWW Browser
CVS client
Did a couple of searches on google.com all I could find was a email client.

If it's built on TCP/IP, Java can do it. CD burning relies on
communication with physical hardware - that might be outside Java's
grasp.
Filesharing might use a different IP protocol than TCP or UDP (Java only
provides support for those two), but the rest should be possible to
write 100% in Java.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"I am looking for myself. Have you seen me somewhere?"