    WWW Browser
    CVS client

    Did a couple of searches on google.com all I could find was a email client.

    Dan Peder Eriksen, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Dan Peder Eriksen

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Dan Peder Eriksen wrote:
    > Does there exists good java software that does this:
    > News reader
    > Ftp Client
    > Filesharing
    > Cd burner application
    > Irc client
    > WWW Browser
    > CVS client
    >
    > Did a couple of searches on google.com all I could find was a email client.

    Sounds like you need a little Google practice.

    My first try, I entered:
    java cvs client

    ( which gives me http://www.google.com/search?q=java cvs client )

    The first hits:

    jCVS Home Page
    www.jcvs.org/

    Java CVS Client
    javacvs.netbeans.org/library/

    Similar useful results for searching on "java irc client", "java ftp
    client", etc.

    Oh, and most email programs can do news.

    Jon A. Cruz, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Dan Peder Eriksen

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:58:12 +0200, Dan Peder Eriksen <>
    wrote:

    > Does there exists good java software that does this:
    > News reader
    > Ftp Client

    Don't know of any specific examples (try searching on Sourceforge), but
    there are several libraries that implement these protocols, attaching a GUI
    wouldn't be all that difficult.

    http://www.limewire.com

    > Cd burner application

    Not that I know of. It's too low level to do directly in Java without JNI,
    but you could write a Java app that wraps command lines tools such as
    cdrecord and mkisofs on Linux.

    > Irc client

    Several, one is http://jaicwain.sourceforge.net but there are literally
    hundreds. Did you try searching for "Java IRC client"? Try searching
    Sourceforge.

    > WWW Browser

    There are a few including Jazilla (http://jazilla.sourceforge.net) and
    WebRenderer (http://www.webrenderer.com/), but not as many as you might
    hope for.

    Again there are lots, my personal favourite is at http://www.smartcvs.com

    > Did a couple of searches on google.com all I could find was a email
    > client.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    Empathy Software (http://www.empathysoftware.com)

    Daniel Dyer, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Dan Peder Eriksen <> scribbled the following:
    > Does there exists good java software that does this:
    > News reader
    > Ftp Client
    > Filesharing
    > Cd burner application
    > Irc client
    > WWW Browser
    > CVS client

    > Did a couple of searches on google.com all I could find was a email client.

    If it's built on TCP/IP, Java can do it. CD burning relies on
    communication with physical hardware - that might be outside Java's
    grasp.
    Filesharing might use a different IP protocol than TCP or UDP (Java only
    provides support for those two), but the rest should be possible to
    write 100% in Java.

    "I am looking for myself. Have you seen me somewhere?"
    - Anon

    Joona I Palaste, Aug 21, 2003