Java Sound

garskof

I am intersted in building an applet that can both play and record
sound files. I would like this to work on the widest range of platforms
(MAC, Linux, WinXP, WinNT, etc) and browsers. What would be the best
file format for the sound files to accomplish this? Would it be MP3,
WAV, or what? I am looking to have this work without any added packages
over and above JDK 1.4.x.

Thanks for any and all info.

Chris Smith

garskof said:
I am intersted in building an applet that can both play and record
sound files. I would like this to work on the widest range of platforms
(MAC, Linux, WinXP, WinNT, etc) and browsers. What would be the best
file format for the sound files to accomplish this? Would it be MP3,
WAV, or what? I am looking to have this work without any added packages
over and above JDK 1.4.x.

You want the JavaSound API. There's a list of common file types in the
API docs for AudioFileFormat.Type. If I had to guess, I'd say AU format
is safest, since applets are required to be able to play them anyway.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Roedy Green

I am intersted in building an applet that can both play and record
sound files. I would like this to work on the widest range of platforms
(MAC, Linux, WinXP, WinNT, etc) and browsers. What would be the best
file format for the sound files to accomplish this? Would it be MP3,
WAV, or what? I am looking to have this work without any added packages
over and above JDK 1.4.x.

Thanks for any and all info.
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sound.html
for your options