java , ssl, and active directory

Discussion in 'Java' started by Brandon McCombs, Dec 12, 2006.

  1. I have a java app that uses JNDI to talk to Active Directory through
    LDAP. In order to set passwords ADS requires a SSL connection. At one
    point I had this working but part of the virtual machine that I have
    Active Directory running in got corrupted and I had to redo the
    certificates and since then I can't get a SSL connection to be
    established using my app.

    The error is javax.naming.CommunicationException: simple bind failed:
    192.168.15.129:636 [Root exception is
    javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
    sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed:
    java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: signature check failed]

    I'm not quite sure what this means (not sure why Sun thinks I should
    know). I documented that I need to export the CA certificate from ADS
    and so I did that again. It also seems I had created a user certificate
    for the administrator (the user I'm testing my app with) so I redid the
    user cert. I've put both of those certs into my keystore and I'm
    specifying the keystore and the keystore password in my code. The code
    hasn't changed as far as SSL is concerned. However I have changed the
    format of the username that I have my app use to authenticate users. I
    used to use just "administrator" but I changed it to
    "". I'm not sure how that affects anything
    since the domain is still okay (I only had to reinstall Cert Services to
    create a new CA cert and then create a new user cert).

    Any ideas on how to go about diagnosing this?

    thanks
    Brandon McCombs, Dec 12, 2006