Java (swing heavy) performance with XP SP2

Discussion in 'Java' started by jaj_developer@yahoo.co.uk, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    All,

    The application I am currently working on has a major performance issue
    when we run the system (via webstart) on Windows XP with SP2. (i.e. 50%
    extra load).

    I have checked around and MS removed the MS java from the system (via
    SP2) and I have tried the fix in:

    http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=574093&messageID=2860292

    However this seems to have limtied results (i.e. the performance is not
    like it was without SP2).

    Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue is (e.g. what Microsoft
    didn't to knacker the Sun JVM) and how we can improve the performance?

    Thanks

    Jaj

    , Oct 20, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > The application I am currently working on has a major performance issue
    > when we run the system (via webstart) on Windows XP with SP2. (i.e. 50%
    > extra load).

    Is that what your benchmarks are supporting?
    Or is it a 'rough guess' based on how a PC that used to run
    the application 'fine', and is now 'bogged down'?

    > I have checked around and MS removed the MS java from the system

    I had not heard that MS was again removing the MSVM. The
    last time they tried that with the MSJVM removal tool,
    they 'managed' to ruin IE's ability to understand the
    applet element, and made it ineffective for any Java.
    I created a tool of my own to remove the MSVM*, but thought
    it would become a minor thing when MS stopped distributing
    the tool soon after.

    * <http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp>

    >..(via
    > SP2) and I have tried the fix in:
    >
    > http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=574093&messageID=2860292
    >
    > However this seems to have limtied results (i.e. the performance is not
    > like it was without SP2).

    Benchmarks?

    > Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue is (e.g. what Microsoft
    > didn't to knacker the Sun JVM) and how we can improve the performance?

    Dump IE. ..or are you referring to users external to
    your organisation?

    Is this an applet or application? What Java version
    do you specify in the JNLP? What is the minimum Java
    required to run your application?

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    On 20 Oct 2005 05:30:19 -0700, ""
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue is (e.g. what Microsoft
    >didn't to knacker the Sun JVM) and how we can improve the performance?

    First let's make sure the problem is truly IE. Try starting the app
    outside IE with javaws http://.....jnlp

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Oct 21, 2005
  4. Pradyut Guest

    wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > The application I am currently working on has a major performance issue
    > when we run the system (via webstart) on Windows XP with SP2. (i.e. 50%
    > extra load).

    It's normal
    swing runs very slow in windows
    the RAM consuption also increases and during load also the system is
    quite slow

    Pradyut
    http://pradyut.tk
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/oop-edge/