    have been hearing that all content behind java is not searchable.
    Should I use java for this? or maybe c# with ASP.NET?
    , Mar 16, 2006

  2. Oliver Wong Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hey
    >
    > Im trying to make a tag cloud for my site. Does anyone know where I can
    > find the code for this. I was also wondering if the content in the
    > cloud was searchable by google?
    >
    > I want to create a cloud like object for my web page that pulls its
    > info from a database, but i want it to be searchable by google and i
    > have been hearing that all content behind java is not searchable.
    > Should I use java for this? or maybe c# with ASP.NET?

    If you want your site to be indexable by search engines, design your
    site so that it is accessible to people with disabilities. E.g. make sure
    that blind people, deaf people, and people who have trouble using keyboards
    and mice, can still use your site. That means providing alternative content
    for visual elements, auditory elements, and not requiring specific cursor
    motions or keypresses for navigation.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Mar 16, 2006

    Im new to any fo this.
    How would this help exactly?
    , Mar 16, 2006
  4. Roedy Green Guest

    On 16 Mar 2006 12:39:48 -0800, wrote, quoted
    or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >Im trying to make a tag cloud for my site. Does anyone know where I can
    >find the code for this. I was also wondering if the content in the
    >cloud was searchable by google?

    You mean little clouds floating around moving slowly, each with some
    text? You click them and something happens.

    Check out JFrame LayeredPane
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Mar 16, 2006
  5. Roedy Green Guest

    On 16 Mar 2006 12:39:48 -0800, wrote, quoted
    or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    > I was also wondering if the content in the
    >cloud was searchable by google?

    the anything searchable by google is HTML/PDF text. If it is
    something you generate dynamically with an Applet or JavaScript,
    Google won't see it.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Mar 16, 2006

    I was thinking "tag clouds" like in

    techzingo.com

    I didnt know how those were called, so I called them tag clouds srry
    guys.
    , Mar 16, 2006
  7. Roedy Green Guest

    On 16 Mar 2006 13:20:59 -0800, wrote, quoted
    or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >I was thinking "tag clouds" like in
    >
    >techzingo.com
    >
    >I didnt know how those were called, so I called them tag clouds srry
    >guys.

    If you do a view source you will see:

    <a class="tag2"
    href="http://techzingo.com/tag/acquisition">acquisition</a> &nbsp;
    &nbsp;

    <a class="tag2"
    href="http://techzingo.com/tag/alienware">alienware</a> &nbsp; &nbsp;

    <a class="tag5" href="http://techzingo.com/tag/amazon">amazon</a>
    &nbsp; &nbsp;

    <a class="tag0"
    href="http://techzingo.com/tag/amberpoint">amberpoint</a> &nbsp;
    &nbsp;

    <a class="tag3" href="http://techzingo.com/tag/amd">amd</a> &nbsp;
    &nbsp;

    <a class="tag2" href="http://techzingo.com/tag/apple">apple</a> &nbsp;
    &nbsp;

    <a class="tag0" href="http://techzingo.com/tag/apple%2520execs">apple
    execs</a> &nbsp; &nbsp;

    Now look at the CSS style sheet:

    #tagcloud a.tag0 { color: #ff8888; font-size: 13pt; }
    #tagcloud a.tag1 { color: #ff7777; font-size: 17pt; }
    #tagcloud a.tag2 { color: #ff6666; font-size: 21pt; }
    #tagcloud a.tag3 { color: #ff5555; font-size: 25pt; }
    #tagcloud a.tag4 { color: #ff4444; font-size: 29pt; }
    #tagcloud a.tag5 { color: #ff3333; font-size: 35pt; }
    #tagcloud a.tag6 { color: #ff2222; font-size: 41pt; }
    #tagcloud a.tag7 { color: #ff1111; font-size: 45pt; }

    #tagcloud a:hover {
    color: #116611;
    }

    It is all done with HTML. You could generate such a page statically
    or dynamically with JSP.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Mar 16, 2006

    Yea i was looking at that
    but i was wondering how to go about creating this dinamically from a
    database where the word are stored.

    how do i go about connecting to the database? do you have a string that
    would help me do this?

    how do i make it generate the html? or create the page dinamically?
    , Mar 16, 2006
  9. Oliver Wong Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Im new to any fo this.
    > How would this help exactly?

    You wanted Google to be able to still index your site, right? I'm
    telling you the general strategy to ensure that this happens.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Mar 16, 2006

    Kool
    I think I got it
    Ill post up the resulting page once I finish it
    awesome!
    , Mar 16, 2006
  11. Timo Stamm Guest

    Roedy Green schrieb:
    > On 16 Mar 2006 12:39:48 -0800, wrote, quoted
    > or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    >> Im trying to make a tag cloud for my site. Does anyone know where I can
    >> find the code for this. I was also wondering if the content in the
    >> cloud was searchable by google?

    > You mean little clouds floating around moving slowly, each with some
    > text?

    A "tag cloud" is a visual representation of the frequency of tags. It
    can be a very useful tool in a content management system that assigns
    tags to data entities.

    It's really simple: The more frequently a tag is used, the larger it is
    displayed.

    Tag clouds became popular with flickr:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/

    Timo
    Timo Stamm, Mar 16, 2006
  12. Roedy Green Guest

    On 16 Mar 2006 13:35:34 -0800, wrote, quoted
    or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >Yea i was looking at that
    >but i was wondering how to go about creating this dinamically from a
    >database where the word are stored.
    >
    >how do i go about connecting to the database? do you have a string that
    >would help me do this?
    >
    >how do i make it generate the html? or create the page dinamically?

    this is the sort of thing Servlets do for a living. You would do some
    sort of SQL query to get your words. That gives you a ResultSet.

    You then compose the HTML by mixing boiler plate, randomly selected
    tag numbers, and the words.

    You have a lot to learn: HTML, Servlets, Database. I suggest you
    start with getting the effect you want first with hand-composed HTML.

    You will need to learn HTML and CSS to do this.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlcheat.html
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss/css.html

    Then write a simple Servlet to generate that web page. Then finally
    add the complexity of a SQL database to store the world.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/servlet.html
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sql.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Mar 16, 2006
  13. Oliver Wong Guest

    "Timo Stamm" <> wrote in message
    > Roedy Green schrieb:
    >> On 16 Mar 2006 12:39:48 -0800, wrote, quoted
    >> or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >>
    >>> Im trying to make a tag cloud for my site. Does anyone know where I can
    >>> find the code for this. I was also wondering if the content in the
    >>> cloud was searchable by google?

    >> You mean little clouds floating around moving slowly, each with some
    >> text?

    > A "tag cloud" is a visual representation of the frequency of tags. It can
    > be a very useful tool in a content management system that assigns tags to
    > data entities.
    >
    > It's really simple: The more frequently a tag is used, the larger it is
    > displayed.
    >
    > Tag clouds became popular with flickr:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/

    Some sites actually have a Flash where there are words literally
    floating around on your screen. When you mouse-over one of those words, they
    immobilize, and clicking on them makes them the "center" of the cloud,
    around which new, related words, will float.

    I'm more willing to call that a "cloud" than Flickr's static list of
    words of varying sizes. On some blogs, I've seen Flickr's thing call a "tag
    soup". I'd call it a "size-popularity correlated list", or SPCL (pronounced
    Speckl).

    And for what it's worth, I wouldn't call that first Flash thing a
    "cloud" either; it's more like a "semantic web".

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Mar 17, 2006
  14. Roedy Green wrote:
    > On 16 Mar 2006 12:39:48 -0800, wrote, quoted
    > or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >

    >>I was also wondering if the content in the
    >>cloud was searchable by google?

    > the anything searchable by google is HTML/PDF text. If it is
    > something you generate dynamically with an Applet or JavaScript,
    > Google won't see it.

    I think it indexes some other types of data, such PowerPoint. However,
    the main point is that it only indexes static content. It would not make
    much sense to index dynamic content.

    Patricia
    Patricia Shanahan, Mar 17, 2006
  15. Timo Stamm Guest

    Oliver Wong schrieb:

    > On some blogs, I've seen Flickr's thing call a "tag soup".

    A lot of HTML pages can be considered "tag soup", too.

    :)

    Timo
    Timo Stamm, Mar 17, 2006
  16. Oliver Wong Guest

    "Patricia Shanahan" <> wrote in message
    > Roedy Green wrote:
    >> On 16 Mar 2006 12:39:48 -0800, wrote, quoted
    >> or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >>

    >>>I was also wondering if the content in the
    >>>cloud was searchable by google?

    >> the anything searchable by google is HTML/PDF text. If it is
    >> something you generate dynamically with an Applet or JavaScript,
    >> Google won't see it.

    > I think it indexes some other types of data, such PowerPoint. However,
    > the main point is that it only indexes static content. It would not make
    > much sense to index dynamic content.

    I also avoided saying "Google doesn't index applets" because although
    that may be true now, it might not always be true. It's conceivable to
    imagine the Google bot downloading the applet, disassembling it, and looking
    at the String Constants pool or something similar.

    That's why I stuck with the more generic advice of making one's site
    accessible to those with disabilities. This usually, as a side effect,
    provides more "hints" for the bots to use for indexing.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Mar 17, 2006
  17. Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:28:59 GMT, Patricia Shanahan <>

    >I think it indexes some other types of data, such PowerPoint. However,
    >the main point is that it only indexes static content. It would not make
    >much sense to index dynamic content.

    It will index dynamic html content too, trusting it won't change all
    that much. When you do your Google site map, you can give the spider
    hints as to how to generate the dynamic content to index.

    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/google.html#SITEMAPS
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Mar 17, 2006
  18. Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:03:06 GMT, "Oliver Wong" <>

    > I also avoided saying "Google doesn't index applets" because although
    >that may be true now, it might not always be true. It's conceivable to
    >imagine the Google bot downloading the applet, disassembling it, and looking
    >at the String Constants pool or something similar.

    You can write a plug-in in Java to get Google Desktop to index
    anything. Perhaps eventually these plugins will be migrated into the
    general spider or your website will provide the plugins to help the
    spider.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Mar 17, 2006