    2) Using Java Applets (instead of Macromedia-flash) and use server like
    Web-Logic (don't forget customers having Windows' platform).

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Mr. x

    Chris Smith Guest

    Mr. x wrote:
    > I want to migrate an old program, to web-platformed one,
    > for customers, that generally used the Microsoft platform,
    > and for need to make a program that has many gui elements, and do some
    > manipulations with some databases (btrieve, sql-server),
    > what is best preffered (and please make an objective opinion, with reason
    > such as price, fast developing, security, etc...)
    >
    > 1) Using Microsoft .NET with Macromedia-flash.
    > 2) Using Java Applets (instead of Macromedia-flash) and use server like
    > Web-Logic (don't forget customers having Windows' platform).

    You need to consider a lot more options. Why are those your only two
    options? What ever happened to:

    3) Use Microsoft .NET server components with Java Applets?
    4) Use Macromedia Flash with WebLogic?
    5) Use a servlet container, some sufficient O/R, and Java Applets?
    6) Use a servlet container, some sufficient O/R, and Macromedia Flash?
    7-9) All of the above, but use Java WebStart?
    10-12) All of the above, but use HTML and JavaScript controls?

    Frankly, I'd be likely to shun choices that include WebLogic or .NET,
    and that's because I have too much experience with "we fix all your
    problems" frameworks, and I know that I'd be more productive in the
    Servlet/JSP framework than .NET.

    You'll want to consider all your options, and weigh them not just
    against a general "x is better" opinion from somewhere, but also against
    the skills and experience of your development team, the specific
    challenges posed by your project (which you haven't even mentioned), and
    the likely lifetime and extent of changes in the code base versus time-
    to-market considerations.

    Oh yeah, and applets are evil. Trust me on that one.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Oct 7, 2003

  3. Mr. x

    Mr. x Guest

    Thanks ...
    Though I have written a lot of code in .net, I am still feel as a newbie.
    I didn't know that I can use both Flash & Web-Logic, or both flash and Java
    Applets.

    What did you mean of Java Webstart ? Is it some of java free tools ?

    In my program, I should use Flash and not Java Applets (you stated that Java
    Applets are not really good/evil ... - did you really mean that Java applet
    is not good, or I missunderstood your English ?).
    I think that web-logic is quite expensive, and well, I don't know it's
    benefites againts IIS, but still, I think wheter I use JSP or ASPX, and
    because I am knowing .net better the JSP (well, it was easier to learn
    ..NET), I would preffer IIS, since there isn't any other services except IIS
    for .net technology.

    In bottom line : I should use Flash, and .NET technology - Am I right ?

    Right now I am using notepad for writing (and, believe me - I have written a
    lot), but still debugging is very difficult task - Is Visual Studio .NET is
    good enough to debug all of web-based scripts (.NET - like aspx, asmx, css,
    html, and any script I could imagine), and good enough for supporting
    scripts in language different than English (like Hebrew) ?
    I would like to feel what VS.NET is look like, and what benefites it has,
    please.

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Mr. x

    Daniel Guest

    I would go with Java because you can have more choice. You have choices in
    servlet/JSP container, you have choices in the OS you wish to deploy on.
    ..NET is MS's rip-off versio of Java, so if you know .NET, then Java will not
    be difficult. With .NET you only have IIS. You can obtain FREE servlet/JSP
    containers in Java like Tomcat or JBoss, and you can try many other vendors
    and see which one you like.

    "Mr. x" <> wrote in message news:3f834499@news.012.net.il...
    > Thanks ...
    > Though I have written a lot of code in .net, I am still feel as a newbie.
    > I didn't know that I can use both Flash & Web-Logic, or both flash and

    Java
    > Applets.
    >
    > What did you mean of Java Webstart ? Is it some of java free tools ?

    Webstart is pretty cool. Basically, it loads the application on the client
    from a central server, and will always fetch the latest release. If not, it
    will use the cache in your computer to load it. It can load an application
    on your computer with a click on a link.

    > In my program, I should use Flash and not Java Applets (you stated that

    Java
    > Applets are not really good/evil ... - did you really mean that Java

    applet
    > is not good, or I missunderstood your English ?).

    Applets are okay but you need to be careful to use them because there are so
    many different JVMs in machines and they may not all have the latest
    updates. This may cause imcompatibilities. But you should be okay if you
    compile them for an earlier JVM version or if you have a link that users can
    download the latest JVM.

    > I think that web-logic is quite expensive, and well, I don't know it's
    > benefites againts IIS, but still, I think wheter I use JSP or ASPX, and
    > because I am knowing .net better the JSP (well, it was easier to learn
    > .NET), I would preffer IIS, since there isn't any other services except

    IIS
    > for .net technology.

    JSP is basically the same as ASP.NET with some slightly different syntax (if
    you use C#) and different class names. Same concept, though. And the same
    applies to Java. .NET is a rip-off of Java so it will be easy for you to use
    Java. This is assuming you are using C#.

    > In bottom line : I should use Flash, and .NET technology - Am I right ?
    >
    > Right now I am using notepad for writing (and, believe me - I have written

    > lot), but still debugging is very difficult task - Is Visual Studio .NET

    is
    > good enough to debug all of web-based scripts (.NET - like aspx, asmx,

    css,
    > html, and any script I could imagine), and good enough for supporting
    > scripts in language different than English (like Hebrew) ?
    > I would like to feel what VS.NET is look like, and what benefites it has,
    > please.

    If you went with Java, you could try lots of FREE IDEs like JBuilder
    Personal, NetBeans, Eclipse. It is quite similar to VS.NET without the
    price.

    That's the good thing about Java: CHOICE and FREE software! With .NET, all
    you have is MS (although that will likely change in the future - like
    C#Builder which is free).

    Give Java a try!

    Daniel, Oct 8, 2003
  5. Mr. x

    Chris Smith Guest

    Mr. x wrote:
    > Though I have written a lot of code in .net, I am still feel as a newbie.
    > I didn't know that I can use both Flash & Web-Logic, or both flash and Java
    > Applets.

    Flash and Java applets and Java WebStart are client-side technologies.
    They all speak to the server using HTTP communication. You can use them
    with whatever server-side components you desire.

    > What did you mean of Java Webstart ? Is it some of java free tools ?

    It is, indeed, a free Java tool. It's a better option for client-side
    development in Java than applets, at least for most situations.

    > In my program, I should use Flash and not Java Applets (you stated that Java
    > Applets are not really good/evil ... - did you really mean that Java applet
    > is not good, or I missunderstood your English ?).

    Well, I was partly joking, but there are some very important
    disadvantages of Java applets. There are very few situations in which
    they are a good idea, in my opinion.

    > I think that web-logic is quite expensive,

    Oh yes. That's the understatement of the year. WebLogic is more that
    "quite expensive". The term "ludicrously expensive" is better.

    It's not required to use JSPs or servlets, though. WebLogic is a J2EE
    application server, and is intended for deploying EJBs for enterprise
    middleware. It's only a web application server only as a sideline. If
    what you want is a web application, look into Jakarta Tomcat (which is
    free) or Caucho Resin (which costs a lot less than WebLogic). Combined
    with a *good* O/R mapper like Oracle TopLink (rather expensive...) or
    Hibernate (free), you get something that works far better than WebLogic
    for most problems, anyway.

    > In bottom line : I should use Flash, and .NET technology - Am I right ?

    I still think you're too quick to eliminate options before you
    understand them. I can't answer that question for you, but I can say
    that if you eliminate JSPs as an architectural choice because you think
    you'd have to buy WebLogic to use them, you're on very poor ground.
    Take the time to understand your options, and then make a choice. It's
    much more pleasant than making a choice only to later discover that your
    motivation for the decision was really a misunderstanding.

    You still haven't provided any detail on the specific challenges that
    your application will face. Except perhaps to imply that you'll
    possibly be communicating with the user in Hebrew???

    > Right now I am using notepad for writing (and, believe me - I have written a
    > lot), but still debugging is very difficult task - Is Visual Studio .NET is
    > good enough to debug all of web-based scripts (.NET - like aspx, asmx, css,
    > html, and any script I could imagine), and good enough for supporting
    > scripts in language different than English (like Hebrew) ?

    I don't know much about .NET. The former is almost certainly possible
    with Visual Studio (though I can't imagine what you mean by "debugging"
    CSS and HTML, since they aren't procedural in nature, and I'd be
    surprised to see a debugger in VS.NET for client-side scripting
    languages like JavaScript). You'll be better off asking in a Microsoft
    newsgroup about the latter. This is the wrong forum for that question.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Oct 8, 2003
  6. Mr. x

    Mr. x Guest

    Hi, Daniel.

    I have tried in the past using tomcat apache on windows platform, and it had
    many problem on working at windows environment.
    Finally I have seen the Web-Logic, so it was the easiest and best server I
    ever seen that supports Java server side scripts (like JSP).

    I think that WebLogic's jsp is not the same as other servers JSP - am I
    right ? Is there any common standard for all JSPs at any server ?
    I also see the java applets, and it simmiliar to moderm flash (I see that
    flash 6.0 has only 7 components : checkbox, combobox, listbox, pushbutton,
    radiobutton, scrollbar, scollpane - Is it true, because I don't want a
    pretty animation, I want a program that works, and if flash has too few
    components, so it is a good reason, why I should use Java Applets instead).

    Does hosting companies take much more money in Java platform, than .NET
    platform ?
    I would like to know about some companies that supports java, and also has
    drivers for btrieve and sql-server, please.

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Oct 8, 2003
  7. Mr. x

    Mr. x Guest

    For what you've said :

    * What may be the disatvantages you think of Java Applet (but I think, that
    flash has less components, and has less abilities then applets) ?
    * WebLogic, for curiousity, how much does it cost ?
    * Well, I am using windows-xp platform, and try to use the free - lot of
    installation, that doesn't work, can you give me some good links, please.
    * May I use applets that calls every page I would like (even *.aspx) or a
    web-service ?
    * I had a problem of JBuilder 8, that supports of hebrew was bad, and every
    time writting single character in Hebrew + save causing hunging the system.
    Is there any problem supporting Hebrew ?

    Mr. x, Oct 8, 2003
  8. Mr. x

    Chris Smith Guest

    Mr. x wrote:
    > For what you've said :
    >
    > * What may be the disatvantages you think of Java Applet (but I think, that
    > flash has less components, and has less abilities then applets) ?

    Java applets are mostly problematic because of versioning issues. You
    have to deal with the possibility that any of several different Java
    versions are available on the client. Additionally, a rich user
    interface embedded into a web page and yet isolated from the page ina
    box appears clunky to the user. I've found that in practice, few
    applications need to walk the line that applets do. They are either
    part of a web page (in which case JavaScript is the way to go) or are
    not (in which case Java WebStart allows client-side Java to be
    distributed over the web, but without the hassle and without pretending
    to be part of a web page).

    > * WebLogic, for curiousity, how much does it cost ?

    Depends. You can't get a price until you work with a sales team, and
    it's different depending on what the company thinks they can get from
    you. Prices in the hundreds of thousands of dollars are not unusual for
    larger installations.

    > * Well, I am using windows-xp platform, and try to use the free - lot of
    > installation, that doesn't work, can you give me some good links, please.

    I don't understand the question. All the software I mentioned runs fine
    on Windows XP.

    > * May I use applets that calls every page I would like (even *.aspx) or a
    > web-service ?

    Sure. With the caveat that "calling a web page" is essentially
    meaningless... so I'm not sure what you mean, but I imagine that
    whatever it is, it's possible from an applet.

    > * I had a problem of JBuilder 8, that supports of hebrew was bad, and every
    > time writting single character in Hebrew + save causing hunging the system.
    > Is there any problem supporting Hebrew ?

    I'm not sure what you were trying to *do* with Hebrew, so I can't answer
    that. Were you trying to actually write your code in Hebrew? That's
    the only reason I can think of to write Hebrew from within JBuilder.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Oct 8, 2003
  9. Mr. x

    Guest

    Hello.

    I have developed a web system using servlets and jsp. I think servlets
    work really well. The drawback using this is that you are using HTML.
    This means that you dont have alot of options when the GUI is
    concerned. But if you can live with a easy GUI i would recommend a
    combination of Servlets jsp.

    When applets are concerned , dont use them. They demand alot of
    resources on the client side and they are so slooowwwwwww.....

    Mikal

    , Oct 8, 2003
  10. Mr. x

    Ike Guest

    Who are you? What are you talking about?

    How are applets any sloooooooooooower than MS's crap? Are they slower on a
    solaris or linux or mac than MS's counterfeit java?

    Finally, where did you get the idea that you have to use html with a
    servlet??

    -Ike

    Ike, Oct 8, 2003
  11. Mr. x

    Daniel Guest

    "Mr. x" <> wrote in message news:3f837791@news.012.net.il...
    > Hi, Daniel.
    >
    > I have tried in the past using tomcat apache on windows platform, and it

    had
    > many problem on working at windows environment.
    > Finally I have seen the Web-Logic, so it was the easiest and best server I
    > ever seen that supports Java server side scripts (like JSP).

    What kind of problems did you have? Try getting a good Tomcat book and then
    trying again. It runs fine on my Windows 2000 and XP machines. Also, there's
    a very good alternative called Resin that you can evaluate. Don't go with
    WebLogic unless you are using EJBs. WebLogic costs alot of money and there
    is a lot of overhead associated with it. If you want to experiment with EJBs
    try JBOSS which is free.

    > I think that WebLogic's jsp is not the same as other servers JSP - am I
    > right ? Is there any common standard for all JSPs at any server ?

    WebLogic does EJBs. For a beginner, you will NOT need it.

    Yes, there is a standard for JSPs, that is why you have many vendors
    offering JSP containers. You have choices with Java.

    > I also see the java applets, and it simmiliar to moderm flash (I see that
    > flash 6.0 has only 7 components : checkbox, combobox, listbox, pushbutton,
    > radiobutton, scrollbar, scollpane - Is it true, because I don't want a
    > pretty animation, I want a program that works, and if flash has too few
    > components, so it is a good reason, why I should use Java Applets

    instead).

    What exactly do you want to do with Flash/Applets? Is it merely some
    decorative graphics or it is an application? For decoration, Flash is more
    used. If you are running an application type of program, then go with
    Applets. Again, the only thing with applets is that you want to program the
    code using an earlier version of Java, or be sure that the client has the
    latest Java on their machine. If you use the latest Java, and the client
    doesn't have it, it may not work.

    > Does hosting companies take much more money in Java platform, than .NET
    > platform ?
    > I would like to know about some companies that supports java, and also has
    > drivers for btrieve and sql-server, please.

    There are tons of companies that support Java: IBM, Oracle, MS (SQL Server
    Drivers, JVMS). It's huge. Do some more research on Java on the net. Go to
    Yahoo and go to programming languages and Java.

    Daniel, Oct 8, 2003
  12. Mr. x

    Guest

    > Finally, where did you get the idea that you have to use html with a
    > servlet??

    Sorry i servlets have nothing to do with HTMl , i misunderstood the question.

    , Oct 9, 2003
  13. Mr. x

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Mr. x <> wrote or quoted:

    > I want to migrate an old program, to web-platformed one,
    > for customers, that generally used the Microsoft platform [...]
    >
    > 1) Using Microsoft .NET with Macromedia-flash.
    > 2) Using Java Applets (instead of Macromedia-flash) and use server like
    > Web-Logic (don't forget customers having Windows' platform).

    I think you'll find most here are Java programmers - so you are
    unlikely to receive unbiased advice on the issue.

    comp.lang.java.advocacy might be another forum to consider for
    threads with titles like: "Java technology versus .net".
    --

    Tim Tyler, Oct 11, 2003