Java Thumbnail/Resize Image App

Barkster

I'm looking for an java image resize app that is very simple. I'm
looking for something like the old ebay ipix app where I can resize
jpg,jpeg,gif,bmp,png to a max width of 600px and display a preview on
the page until ready to upload. I've used thinimage but too much for
me, I want simplier than that. Are there any apps out there? I've
never done java before.

jmcgill

Barkster said:
I'm looking for an java image resize app that is very simple. I'm
looking for something like the old ebay ipix app where I can resize
jpg,jpeg,gif,bmp,png to a max width of 600px and display a preview on
the page until ready to upload. I've used thinimage but too much for
me, I want simplier than that. Are there any apps out there? I've
never done java before.

I don't understand why you're looking for an entire app. Java has
built-in methods to scale images. It's in Image.getScaledInstance().

But your message sounds like you're looking for a user application as
opposed to information to help you write your own program. In that
case, you're sort of in the wrong place.

Here's something (The first google hit for "java image scale")
I wouldn't do it this way, but it probably works:

http://schmidt.devlib.org/java/save-jpeg-thumbnail.html

Barkster

Yeah don't know much about java, used javascript a lot but never built
anything in java. I've seen that posting but don't know how to
implement how I'm trying to. You are right though, I guess I'm not
looking for an app, I'm looking for a user application for a web page.
Thanks

jcsnippets.atspace.com

Barkster said:
I'm looking for an java image resize app that is very simple. I'm
looking for something like the old ebay ipix app where I can resize
jpg,jpeg,gif,bmp,png to a max width of 600px and display a preview on
the page until ready to upload. I've used thinimage but too much for
me, I want simplier than that. Are there any apps out there? I've
never done java before.

If you're looking for a piece of code that will do this, have a look at the
following:
http://jcsnippets.atspace.com/java/gui-graphics/create-thumbnail.html

Best regards,

JayCee

Barkster

Thanks, now I just need to figure out how to implement it into a
webpage to allow user to browse to the file and get ready to upload.

jcsnippets.atspace.com

Barkster said:
Thanks, now I just need to figure out how to implement it into a
webpage to allow user to browse to the file and get ready to upload.

A quick search on Google provided me with a link to the following page
(amongst many many others):
http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=160

There are plenty of links with examples on how to achieve a file upload
available there.

Best regards,

JayCee

Barkster

Hmmn, I'm not sure if that is what I need. I'm using php and what to
make some simple applet like www.thinfile.com but don't need any of the
features. I've bought theirs but doesn't quite handle the files the
way I want. I want to resize up to 6 images client side then after the
users selects the files they want then they send to upload page. I'll
do another google search but I've been searching for a week on some
type of example to do this, I found a class that resizes just like I
want but you have to send the filename/path etc when you run the class.
I'm looking for something to browse to the file, it resizes it and
stores on users temp folder till they hit upload. Thanks for any help.

G Winstanley

I'm looking for an java image resize app that is very simple. I'm
looking for something like the old ebay ipix app where I can resize
jpg,jpeg,gif,bmp,png to a max width of 600px and display a preview on
the page until ready to upload. I've used thinimage but too much for
me, I want simplier than that. Are there any apps out there? I've
never done java before.

I wrote something a little while ago to do this, although it doesn't
handle BMP images (I may add that at some point). There are still a few
small GUI glitches, but it may help with what you want.
http://www.snaq.net/java/PhotoGallery/

Stan

jcsnippets.atspace.com

Barkster said:
Hmmn, I'm not sure if that is what I need. I'm using php and what to
make some simple applet like www.thinfile.com but don't need any of the
features. I've bought theirs but doesn't quite handle the files the
way I want. I want to resize up to 6 images client side then after the
users selects the files they want then they send to upload page. I'll
do another google search but I've been searching for a week on some
type of example to do this, I found a class that resizes just like I
want but you have to send the filename/path etc when you run the class.
I'm looking for something to browse to the file, it resizes it and
stores on users temp folder till they hit upload. Thanks for any help.

Ah, now I see. I've had a quick look at the url you specified, and trusted
applets is indeed the way to go imho.

I'm afraid I don't have any examples at hand for your specific request - if
I find something, I'll post it asap.

Best of luck,

JayCee

Barkster

I'm having a hard time evening finding how to build an applet for a
webpage. Everything I find is for standalone app. I just don't know
anything about java apps, what can I search for to find any help in
developing a web app like I'm looking for? Thanks