java to java networking

VisionSet

I have not written any socket code before or done any RMI.
I'd like to do the developer certification and also I have my own project
waiting in the wings that would benefit from this. The latter is my primary
concern.

I have a distibuted java application (is this the right term?) that exists
on many users PCs on a network. This is essentially just gui code. I then
have a central java 'server' application that applies the model & all the
business rules.
The view application needs to deal just with the business app, which in turn
deals with the data layer, MySQL, Flatfile or whatever. I think this is
pretty standard practice?

My basic understanding so far is that I should define the interface by which
the protocol operates. I'm not entirely sure how to do this and what else I
need to do, though I imagine proper threading will form a crucial aspect of
this.

Can anyone recommend a good book that assumes half decent OO & java skills,
and that I can apply to the developer certification. I've got the Sybex
book 'complete java2 certification' but it glosses over a great deal of
networking.

Does anyone know of anything online that would help me?

Perhaps people could profer a Joshua Bloch style list of networking does and
don'ts?

TIA