    Is there any such "tool" available for coverting Java to Lisp or
    Prolog?

    Thanks in advance.

    Andy, Nov 13, 2007

  2. Andy wrote:
    > Is there any such "tool" available for coverting Java to Lisp or
    > Prolog?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Can you convert an object-oriented language into a constraint-solving
    language? No. Generic Java code has way too many structures that are
    impossible to represent in Prolog, AFAIK.

    Looking into Java to LISP, which is theoretically much easier but still
    far from trivial, the only reference was to an off-hand comment in an
    IRC chatroom (irc://freenode.net/#lisp if you were wondering). The logs
    were of a recent date--September 1, 2007--so you might be able to get
    something there, but don't hold your breath.

    The better question to ask here is "Why do you want to go from Java to
    LISP or Prolog?"

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

    Joshua Cranmer, Nov 13, 2007

  3. On Nov 13, 1:51 pm, Joshua Cranmer <> wrote:
    > Andy wrote:
    > > Is there any such "tool" available for coverting Java to Lisp or
    > > Prolog?

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > Can you convert an object-oriented language into a constraint-solving
    > language? No. Generic Java code has way too many structures that are
    > impossible to represent in Prolog, AFAIK.
    >
    > Looking into Java to LISP, which is theoretically much easier but still
    > far from trivial, the only reference was to an off-hand comment in an
    > IRC chatroom (irc://freenode.net/#lisp if you were wondering). The logs
    > were of a recent date--September 1, 2007--so you might be able to get
    > something there, but don't hold your breath.

    That's probably the same guy we've been getting in ##java. He's
    working on a project where lisp was compiled to java bytecode[1] and
    wants to reverse-engineer java (the language) out of it[1]. He's
    making amazing progress, but I still think his requirements are a
    little unreasonable.

    [1] Whaaaaa..?

    Owen Jacobson, Nov 13, 2007
  4. Andy

    Patrick May Guest

    Andy <> writes:
    > Is there any such "tool" available for coverting Java to Lisp or
    > Prolog?

    Just rewrite your Java code in Lisp. It should only take 10% of
    the original lines of code, after all.

    Regards,

    Patrick

    S P Engineering, Inc. | Large scale, mission-critical, distributed OO

    Patrick May, Nov 14, 2007
  5. Owen Jacobson <> writes:

    > That's probably the same guy we've been getting in ##java. He's
    > working on a project where lisp was compiled to java bytecode[1] ...
    > [1] Whaaaaa..?

    Armed Bear Common Lisp comes to mind.
    http://armedbear.org/abcl.html

    (Supporting your right to keep and arm bears.)

    --
    Mark Jeffcoat
    Austin, TX

    Mark Jeffcoat, Nov 14, 2007