Java / Tool bar

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Smitro, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. Smitro

    Smitro Guest

    Hi,

    Wondering if anyone has seen something in there travels that looks
    something like this.

    http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/cascade-menu.html

    It's a java tool bar, I'm wanting to put something like this on one of
    my web pages, I like this one, but then I noticed that it doesn't seem
    to work in firefox. :-( (not sure about other browsers, I've only seen
    it work in IE)

    Because I'm a big fan of alternate software (those other than MS) I
    would like to be able to have ym web site availible to every one.

    Is it possible to maybe fix this?

    What I'm looking for is a tool bar like this, but one that I can place
    the HTML in the place that I want and not have to hope that it will look
    the same in all browsers when I use CSS. You'll notice that this one is
    dependent on where the html is put in the page as to where it is located
    on the page.

    If any one could help me out on this it would be great. I'm hopeing
    someone may be useing something like this already.

    Smitro.

    Smitro, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Smitro

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Smitro wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Wondering if anyone has seen something in there travels that looks
    > something like this.
    >
    > http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/cascade-menu.html
    >
    > It's a java tool bar, I'm wanting to put something like this on one of
    > my web pages, I like this one, but then I noticed that it doesn't seem
    > to work in firefox. :-( (not sure about other browsers, I've only seen
    > it work in IE)
    >
    > Because I'm a big fan of alternate software (those other than MS) I
    > would like to be able to have ym web site availible to every one.
    >
    > Is it possible to maybe fix this?
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a tool bar like this, but one that I can place
    > the HTML in the place that I want and not have to hope that it will look
    > the same in all browsers when I use CSS. You'll notice that this one is
    > dependent on where the html is put in the page as to where it is located
    > on the page.
    >
    > If any one could help me out on this it would be great. I'm hopeing
    > someone may be useing something like this already.
    >
    > Smitro.

    That's not Java. That's JavaScript. They are two completely different
    languages.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Smitro

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Smitro wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Wondering if anyone has seen something in there travels that looks
    > something like this.
    >
    > http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/cascade-menu.html
    >
    > It's a java tool bar, I'm wanting to put something like this on one of
    > my web pages, I like this one, but then I noticed that it doesn't seem
    > to work in firefox. :-( (not sure about other browsers, I've only seen
    > it work in IE)
    >
    > Because I'm a big fan of alternate software (those other than MS) I
    > would like to be able to have ym web site availible to every one.
    >
    > Is it possible to maybe fix this?
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a tool bar like this, but one that I can place
    > the HTML in the place that I want and not have to hope that it will look
    > the same in all browsers when I use CSS. You'll notice that this one is
    > dependent on where the html is put in the page as to where it is located
    > on the page.
    >
    > If any one could help me out on this it would be great. I'm hopeing
    > someone may be useing something like this already.
    >
    > Smitro.

    Annnyyyyway. Now I'm at work, I can reply properly. Really you should
    AVOID javascript menus; they tend not to fail safe. If your visiting
    user does NOT have javascript turned on (approx 4% of all people), they
    cannot navigate your site. Okay, so perhaps you can say "well, my site
    requires JS", which sometimes can be true... but then what about Search
    Engine spiders? Spiders (bots) follow links in your site so that they
    can add you to their indexes. They do not run JavaScript. So if your
    menu is hidden away inside a script they simply wont be able to find the
    pages on your site and you will never get listed... If you dont care
    about Spiders and you dont care about people who cant use JS... well
    that's up to you :)

    There are CSS and "fail safe" js alternatives. Take a look
    www.alistapart.com for examples.

    S.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 6, 2004
  4. On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:49:49 +1000, Smitro
    <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/cascade-menu.html

    From what I've seen, "The JavaScript Source" is a *horrible* place for
    obtaining scripts. Most online collections are, including Dynamic Drive.

    Oh, by the way: that script doesn't work in Opera, either.

    [snip]

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Dec 6, 2004
  5. On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:49:49 +1000, Smitro wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Wondering if anyone has seen something in there travels that looks
    > something like this.
    >
    > http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/cascade-menu.html
    >
    > It's a java tool bar, I'm wanting to put something like this on one of
    > my web pages, I like this one, but then I noticed that it doesn't seem
    > to work in firefox. :-( (not sure about other browsers, I've only seen
    > it work in IE)

    Its actually a "JavaScript" tool bar[1]. More specifically, even, it is a
    JScript toolbar because it appears to only work in MSIE.

    Try DynamicDrive.com. They have some DHTML dropdown menus that *will*
    work in every modern browser.

    Examples:
    <http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm>
    <http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jimmenu/index.htm>
    <http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddtabmenu.htm>

    [1] Java != JavaScript

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 6, 2004
  6. On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:08:34 +0000, Michael Winter wrote:

    > From what I've seen, "The JavaScript Source" is a *horrible* place for
    > obtaining scripts. Most online collections are, including Dynamic Drive.

    Look, some are, some aren't. With careful and judicious choice of which
    scripts you use, you can find and use some well-made, well-conceived, and
    cross-browser DHTML/JavaScript thingies.

    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 6, 2004
  7. Smitro

    Smitro Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Smitro wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Wondering if anyone has seen something in there travels that looks
    >> something like this.
    >>
    >> http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/cascade-menu.html
    >>
    >> It's a java tool bar, I'm wanting to put something like this on one
    >> of my web pages, I like this one, but then I noticed that it doesn't
    >> seem to work in firefox. :-( (not sure about other browsers, I've
    >> only seen it work in IE)
    >>
    >> Because I'm a big fan of alternate software (those other than MS) I
    >> would like to be able to have ym web site availible to every one.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to maybe fix this?
    >>
    >> What I'm looking for is a tool bar like this, but one that I can
    >> place the HTML in the place that I want and not have to hope that it
    >> will look the same in all browsers when I use CSS. You'll notice that
    >> this one is dependent on where the html is put in the page as to
    >> where it is located on the page.
    >>
    >> If any one could help me out on this it would be great. I'm hopeing
    >> someone may be useing something like this already.
    >>
    >> Smitro.
    >>

    > Annnyyyyway. Now I'm at work, I can reply properly. Really you should
    > AVOID javascript menus; they tend not to fail safe. If your visiting
    > user does NOT have javascript turned on (approx 4% of all people),
    > they cannot navigate your site. Okay, so perhaps you can say "well, my
    > site requires JS", which sometimes can be true... but then what about
    > Search Engine spiders? Spiders (bots) follow links in your site so
    > that they can add you to their indexes. They do not run JavaScript. So
    > if your menu is hidden away inside a script they simply wont be able
    > to find the pages on your site and you will never get listed... If you
    > dont care about Spiders and you dont care about people who cant use
    > JS... well that's up to you :)
    >
    > There are CSS and "fail safe" js alternatives. Take a look
    > www.alistapart.com for examples.
    >
    > S.

    Thanks for your advice, I did what you said and I found 2 scripts and I
    manged to adapted them into one to create the menus I was after. Thanks.

    Smitro, Dec 8, 2004