    day. I'm a little suspicious. Has anyone tried the down-
    load?

    George
    George W. Cherry, Dec 29, 2003

  2. "George W. Cherry" <> wrote in
    message news:7eZHb.229262$_M.1009637@attbi_s54...
    > My computer displays an "Java Update Ready" message
    > everytime I turn it on, asking me if I want to download the
    > update. I ask it to remind me in 3 days and it reminds me
    > the next time I turn the computer on, even on the same
    > day. I'm a little suspicious. Has anyone tried the down-
    > load?

    I've never seen such a message George,
    and I would not follow it.

    What OS/version of Java are you using?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 30, 2003

  3. "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > and I would not follow it.

    'follow it', translated to human, means
    'allow the download'..
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 30, 2003
  4. "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > ..
    > > and I would not follow it.

    > 'follow it', translated to human, means
    > 'allow the download'..

    Right, Andrew, I haven't and won't allow the download.
    I suppose I should ask Sun whether it's really from them.
    George W. Cherry, Dec 30, 2003
  5. George W. Cherry

    ak Guest

    if you have MS-Windows start regedit then go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and look under
    various runs (run, runoneceex, runonce, runservices, runservecesonce)

    another way is to use msconfig and/or sysedit

    ____________

    http://reader.imagero.com the best java image reader.
    ak, Dec 30, 2003
  6. George W. Cherry

    Harald Hein Guest

    "George W. Cherry" wrote:

    > My computer displays an "Java Update Ready" message
    > everytime I turn it on, asking me if I want to download the
    > update. I ask it to remind me in 3 days and it reminds me
    > the next time I turn the computer on, even on the same
    > day. I'm a little suspicious. Has anyone tried the down-
    > load?

    I have never seen this. If this happens on Windows and if this would
    be my computer, I would

    - Update my virus scanners (use at least two different ones)

    - Update my spyware scanners (get at least both Ad-Aware and
    Spybot S&D)

    - Run them

    - Inspect the various autostart mechanisms of windows

    - Install Linux :)
    Harald Hein, Dec 30, 2003
  7. "George W. Cherry" <> wrote in
    message news:k18Ib.686253$HS4.4877645@attbi_s01...
    > Right, Andrew, I haven't and won't allow the download.
    > I suppose I should ask Sun whether it's really from them.

    You'll probably get more sensible
    answers from them.. :)

    What's your OS and Java version?
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 30, 2003
  8. George W. Cherry

    Sudsy Guest

    George W. Cherry wrote:
    <snip>
    > Right, Andrew, I haven't and won't allow the download.
    > I suppose I should ask Sun whether it's really from them.

    My guess: you're running an M$ program launcher and you've downloaded
    something just ITCHING to get full control. That's why it ignores
    your request to be reminded in 3 days; a virus is compelled to
    reproduce as quickly as possible. If you were using something which
    includes security domains (like NT) then the software probably got
    loaded at the user level but now it needs administrator privileges.
    In any case, find the source of infection and wipe it out.
    Sudsy, Dec 30, 2003
  9. George W. Cherry

    Filip Larsen Guest

    George W. Cherry wrote

    > My computer displays an "Java Update Ready" message
    > everytime I turn it on, asking me if I want to download the
    > update.

    Since noone else seems to have mentioned it, I would like point out that
    newer Java versions can be configured to automatically check for
    updates. Run Java-plugin setup from your Windows control panel, and
    check the settings under the Update tab to see if you have it enabled.

    Regards,
    --
    Filip Larsen
    Filip Larsen, Dec 30, 2003
  10. I have, It downloaded JRE 1.4.2_03 and set it as default JRE.
    I have WinXP.

    David

    David Rabinowitz, Dec 30, 2003
  11. George W. Cherry

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:22:57 +0200, David Rabinowitz
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I have, It downloaded JRE 1.4.2_03 and set it as default JRE.
    >I have WinXP.

    You can find the latest JDK via http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html
    and the latest JRE via http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html

    On the Java plugin in the control panel is also a check for JRE
    update.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Dec 30, 2003
  12. "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > "George W. Cherry" <> wrote in
    > message news:k18Ib.686253$HS4.4877645@attbi_s01...
    > > Right, Andrew, I haven't and won't allow the download.
    > > I suppose I should ask Sun whether it's really from them.

    > You'll probably get more sensible
    > answers from them.. :)
    >
    > What's your OS and Java version?

    OS: Windows XP Professional
    Java SDK: j2sdk-1_4_2_02-windows-i586-p-iftw

    I install MS updates to the OS frequently.
    Good God, don't tell me that I trust MS and don't
    trust Sun. Of course, I don't believe the updates
    are from Sun.

    George
    George W. Cherry, Dec 31, 2003
  13. "David Rabinowitz" <> wrote in message
    > I have, It downloaded JRE 1.4.2_03 and set it as default JRE.
    > I have WinXP.
    >
    > David
    >
    > George W. Cherry wrote:
    > > My computer displays an "Java Update Ready" message
    > > everytime I turn it on, asking me if I want to download the
    > > update. I ask it to remind me in 3 days and it reminds me
    > > the next time I turn the computer on, even on the same
    > > day. I'm a little suspicious. Has anyone tried the down-
    > > load?
    > >
    > > George

    Thanks to everyone for the advice they've given.
    David had done the download--and like me he
    was running JRE 1.4.2_02 on Win XP. The up-
    date he downloaded was JRE 1.4.2_03. Maybe
    all you other guys have dumb OS'es--like Linux. :eek:)

    But maybe David is part of the viral conspiracy!
    :eek:) :eek:) :eek:)

    George ("Even paranoids have enemies.")
    George W. Cherry, Dec 31, 2003
  14. George W. Cherry

    Sudsy Guest

    George W. Cherry wrote:

    <snip>
    > Thanks to everyone for the advice they've given.
    > David had done the download--and like me he
    > was running JRE 1.4.2_02 on Win XP. The up-
    > date he downloaded was JRE 1.4.2_03. Maybe
    > all you other guys have dumb OS'es--like Linux. :eek:)

    Just paranoid, as you noted. Any unsolicited recommendation to "update"
    software annoys the heck out of me. It may or may not be legit. If I
    fire up Eclipse and it offers me an update then I know from whence it
    came: I fired up the application. Having something hooked-into the
    program launcher which pops-up on system boot...that just gives me the
    screaming meemies. Could explain why we don't run S/W from that
    particular vendor around these here parts. YMMV
    Sudsy, Dec 31, 2003
  15. "George W. Cherry" <> wrote in
    message news:ERpIb.17620$xX.52088@attbi_s02...
    > "David Rabinowitz" <> wrote in message
    > > I have, It downloaded JRE 1.4.2_03 and set it as default JRE.
    > > I have WinXP.

    > But maybe David is part of the viral conspiracy!
    > :eek:) :eek:) :eek:)

    Or maybe the virus is merely
    _impersonating_ him? In fact,
    looking carefully at my _own_