"Java Update"???

George W. Cherry

My computer displays an "Java Update Ready" message
everytime I turn it on, asking me if I want to download the
update. I ask it to remind me in 3 days and it reminds me
the next time I turn the computer on, even on the same
day. I'm a little suspicious. Has anyone tried the down-
load?

George

Andrew Thompson

George W. Cherry said:
My computer displays an "Java Update Ready" message
everytime I turn it on, asking me if I want to download the
update. I ask it to remind me in 3 days and it reminds me
the next time I turn the computer on, even on the same
day. I'm a little suspicious. Has anyone tried the down-
load?

I've never seen such a message George,
and I would not follow it.

What OS/version of Java are you using?

George W. Cherry

Andrew Thompson said:
..

'follow it', translated to human, means
'allow the download'..

Right, Andrew, I haven't and won't allow the download.
I suppose I should ask Sun whether it's really from them.

ak

if you have MS-Windows start regedit then go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and look under
various runs (run, runoneceex, runonce, runservices, runservecesonce)

another way is to use msconfig and/or sysedit

____________

http://reader.imagero.com the best java image reader.

Harald Hein

George W. Cherry said:
My computer displays an "Java Update Ready" message
everytime I turn it on, asking me if I want to download the
update. I ask it to remind me in 3 days and it reminds me
the next time I turn the computer on, even on the same
day. I'm a little suspicious. Has anyone tried the down-
load?

I have never seen this. If this happens on Windows and if this would
be my computer, I would

- Update my virus scanners (use at least two different ones)

- Update my spyware scanners (get at least both Ad-Aware and
Spybot S&D)

- Run them

- Inspect the various autostart mechanisms of windows

- Install Linux :)

Andrew Thompson

message ....
Right, Andrew, I haven't and won't allow the download.
I suppose I should ask Sun whether it's really from them.

You'll probably get more sensible
answers from them.. :)

What's your OS and Java version?

Sudsy

George W. Cherry wrote:
Right, Andrew, I haven't and won't allow the download.
I suppose I should ask Sun whether it's really from them.

My guess: you're running an M$ program launcher and you've downloaded
something just ITCHING to get full control. That's why it ignores
your request to be reminded in 3 days; a virus is compelled to
reproduce as quickly as possible. If you were using something which
includes security domains (like NT) then the software probably got
loaded at the user level but now it needs administrator privileges.
In any case, find the source of infection and wipe it out.

Filip Larsen

George W. Cherry wrote
My computer displays an "Java Update Ready" message
everytime I turn it on, asking me if I want to download the
update.

Since noone else seems to have mentioned it, I would like point out that
newer Java versions can be configured to automatically check for
updates. Run Java-plugin setup from your Windows control panel, and
check the settings under the Update tab to see if you have it enabled.

Regards,

David Rabinowitz

I have, It downloaded JRE 1.4.2_03 and set it as default JRE.
I have WinXP.

David

George W. Cherry

Andrew Thompson said:
message ...

You'll probably get more sensible
answers from them.. :)

What's your OS and Java version?

OS: Windows XP Professional
Java SDK: j2sdk-1_4_2_02-windows-i586-p-iftw

I install MS updates to the OS frequently.
Good God, don't tell me that I trust MS and don't
trust Sun. Of course, I don't believe the updates
are from Sun.

George

George W. Cherry

David Rabinowitz said:
I have, It downloaded JRE 1.4.2_03 and set it as default JRE.
I have WinXP.

David

Thanks to everyone for the advice they've given.
David had done the download--and like me he
was running JRE 1.4.2_02 on Win XP. The up-
date he downloaded was JRE 1.4.2_03. Maybe
all you other guys have dumb OS'es--like Linux. :eek:)

But maybe David is part of the viral conspiracy!
:eek:) :eek:) :eek:)

George ("Even paranoids have enemies.")

Sudsy

George W. Cherry wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the advice they've given.
David had done the download--and like me he
was running JRE 1.4.2_02 on Win XP. The up-
date he downloaded was JRE 1.4.2_03. Maybe
all you other guys have dumb OS'es--like Linux. :eek:)

Just paranoid, as you noted. Any unsolicited recommendation to "update"
software annoys the heck out of me. It may or may not be legit. If I
fire up Eclipse and it offers me an update then I know from whence it
came: I fired up the application. Having something hooked-into the
program launcher which pops-up on system boot...that just gives me the
screaming meemies. Could explain why we don't run S/W from that
particular vendor around these here parts. YMMV

Andrew Thompson

George W. Cherry said:
But maybe David is part of the viral conspiracy!
:eek:) :eek:) :eek:)

Or maybe the virus is merely
_impersonating_ him? In fact,
looking carefully at my _own_