java.util.logger

gwoodhouse

Sorry for the late reply Mark. I get very little time for my feet to
hit the ground before i'm moved onto something else.
Which file where, exactly? It matters.
tomcat/conf/logging.properties as specified in the tomcat startup by:
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=D:\opt\tomcat\conf\logging.properties
One of those "handlers" has no dots in front, the other has one.

Which way is correct?

Both lines are present in the logging file by default. One with a
preceding dot and one without a dot. I've read that a preceding .
means that the line is a global rather than local setting. At this
point i can't remember where i read that or the real meaning behind
this.
What's the full class name of Logger here?

Logger is being imported from java.util.logging.Logger where as
RegistrationEmail is in the uk.co.graeme.layout.element.register
package.

Hope that helps you in figuring out where this would log and how you
come to that answer.

Thanks in advance!

Graeme

markspace

This won't work because....

Logger is being imported from java.util.logging.Logger

java.util.logging.Logger does not use the same style config file as
org.apache.log4j.Logger.

Log4j understands the style of log configuration you quoted, but you
aren't using Log4j. You're using the standard logger from Sun. Please
RTFM.

gwoodhouse

java.util.logging.Logger does not use the same style config file as
org.apache.log4j.Logger.

Log4j understands the style oflogconfiguration you quoted,  but you
aren't using Log4j.  You're using the standard logger from Sun.  Please
RTFM.

Hi Mark,

I think your confusing yourself. The log file i'm using is the default
JULI logging.properties (You can see the example in the URL you
yourself posted on Sep 15, 4:52 pm - http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html).
You can see that if you "RTFM" that JULI and log4j are different
logging systems - further that i'm using both the java code to access
JULI and the properties file format for JULI. I'm asking a question
about JULI.

Just to clarify, I'm not currently using log4j nor am I asking any
questions about it. I have experience with log4j and understand it.
JULI i don't.

So the question still stands. In the JULI (java.util.logging) system,
how can you tell which handler will be used when you perform a logging
task from within a java file.

I think this thread may have currupted itself mostly from my own
inaccurate question so I will repost with the question stated more
clearly.

Graeme