    language. So to me it makes sense to know the advantages and
    disadvantages, so you study the one that makes the most sense for what
    you want to do eventually.

    genericaudioperson, Jul 16, 2008

  2. genericaudioperson

    Christopher Guest

    On Jul 16, 2:29 pm, genericaudioperson
    <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was trying to see what the main differences are between Java and C+
    > +. If you were going to learn to program your first language other
    > than Basic, which one would you choose?
    >
    > Websites that compare the two use very technical descriptions. I'm
    > trying to get a more general introductory idea to the main
    > differences.... something like "C++ runs faster, but Java is easier to
    > learn" or "Use Java for web-enabled programs, use C++ for game
    > programming."
    >
    > It takes a lot of work to get good at programming a real computer
    > language. So to me it makes sense to know the advantages and
    > disadvantages, so you study the one that makes the most sense for what
    > you want to do eventually.

    I'd ask my self some questions and then ask those of the specific
    language:

    Do I intend to ever seek a job using this language?
    If yes, then I'd look at some adds and see what is in demand.
    What kind of software am I interested in creating?
    What environment would I like to target?
    Are there widely supported libraries already in place for my needs for
    either language?

    In the end though, 80% of what you learn about one is going to
    transfer to the other. So, if you can't choose, a random roll of the
    dice is not going to hurt you badly. After learning one it is just a
    matter of grasping some nuances to learn the other at a usable level.
    Of course to attain guru level of understanding could take years and
    years with either. I imagine after spending some years with one, most
    people naturally dabble in the other anyway.

    Christopher, Jul 16, 2008

  3. genericaudioperson wrote:

    > I was trying to see what the main differences are between Java and C+
    > +. If you were going to learn to program your first language other
    > than Basic, which one would you choose?

    Probably DrScheme or something similar (a clean, educational language of
    some sorts) would be a good idea. Both C++ and Java are imho not
    suitable for "first" languages. The idea of having to learn programming
    with those really scares me. It's a bit like a child-soldiery
    introduction of what life is all about.

    Matthias Buelow, Jul 17, 2008