java vs. c++ (non-technical comparison)

genericaudioperson

Hello,

I was trying to see what the main differences are between Java and C+
+. If you were going to learn to program your first language other
than Basic, which one would you choose?

Websites that compare the two use very technical descriptions. I'm
trying to get a more general introductory idea to the main
differences.... something like "C++ runs faster, but Java is easier to
learn" or "Use Java for web-enabled programs, use C++ for game
programming."

It takes a lot of work to get good at programming a real computer
language. So to me it makes sense to know the advantages and
disadvantages, so you study the one that makes the most sense for what
you want to do eventually.

Christopher

Hello,

I was trying to see what the main differences are between Java and C+
+. If you were going to learn to program your first language other
than Basic, which one would you choose?

Websites that compare the two use very technical descriptions. I'm
trying to get a more general introductory idea to the main
differences.... something like "C++ runs faster, but Java is easier to
learn" or "Use Java for web-enabled programs, use C++ for game
programming."

It takes a lot of work to get good at programming a real computer
language. So to me it makes sense to know the advantages and
disadvantages, so you study the one that makes the most sense for what
you want to do eventually.

I'd ask my self some questions and then ask those of the specific
language:

Do I intend to ever seek a job using this language?
If yes, then I'd look at some adds and see what is in demand.
What kind of software am I interested in creating?
What environment would I like to target?
Are there widely supported libraries already in place for my needs for
either language?

In the end though, 80% of what you learn about one is going to
transfer to the other. So, if you can't choose, a random roll of the
dice is not going to hurt you badly. After learning one it is just a
matter of grasping some nuances to learn the other at a usable level.
Of course to attain guru level of understanding could take years and
years with either. I imagine after spending some years with one, most
people naturally dabble in the other anyway.

Matthias Buelow

genericaudioperson said:
I was trying to see what the main differences are between Java and C+
+. If you were going to learn to program your first language other
than Basic, which one would you choose?

Probably DrScheme or something similar (a clean, educational language of
some sorts) would be a good idea. Both C++ and Java are imho not
suitable for "first" languages. The idea of having to learn programming
with those really scares me. It's a bit like a child-soldiery
introduction of what life is all about.