Java Web Services: what tools do I need?

bruce_phipps

What software do I need to start learning how to code and deploy
Java-based web services?
At the moment I have a Linux box with J2SDK and Apache installed.

What do I need from:
Java Web Service Developers kit
JAXM
Apache SOAP
Apache Tomcat
Java Application Server
GlassFish

Any *basic* introductions available on to how these all fit together?

Thanks
Bruce

Tomek

Hi,
You need 2 things:
- Server which supports Java Servlet technology like Orion, Jetty,
Tomcat or anything you want
- Webservice framework you want to work with: I strongly advice XFire
from http://xfire.codehaus.org

What you need to do :
1. Create web web aplication project in you favorite IDE
2. Create regular java class with your logic ( any POJO )
3. Put jars from webservice framework distribution to you lib folder
4. Create config file which points to your java class which should be
exposed as webservice
5. Build webapplication
6. Deploy application on your server
6.a Run server
THE END

7. Generate you client code form service wsdl
8. Run client
9. Get promoted by running webservice in 25 min ;)

(e-mail address removed) napisal(a):

bruce_phipps

Thanks, Tomek. But this all looks a little bit advanced for me at the
moment...

Say I want to take the first newbie steps and code and deploy a "Hello
World" web service.
I don't think I'll need XFire or an IDE to do that, will I?
Do I need an applications server -- or will Apache + Tomcat be OK?

Thanks
Bruce

William Markito

Hi Bruce!
The easiest way to do a webservice in java (my opinion) is using
Axis. Go read a little bit about it 'cause it's pretty easy.
Basically, you will install and deploy Axis as a webapp in your
container (Tomcat for eg) and then you will create your simple java
program that you'd like to use as a webservice. After this, just put
this .java file inside a specific folder under Axis webapp structure
and you will be able to access the wsdl for this webservice from a url.
It's very simple, try search and read about Axis and you'll find out.

Regards

Tomek

Hmm, you need some webservice engine to run webservice, for sure :).
And ofcourse you don't need any IDE, but creating project and its
classes without any IDE can be a little painful.

Tomcat is enough.

Try to download xfire distribution and take a look at book example,
this one of the simplest webservice sample ( java service + interface,
object returnd by service, client class and 1 config file).
( Sorry i'm writing only about xfire example, but i stoped using axis
long time ago )

William Markito napisal(a):
Hi Bruce!
The easiest way to do a webservice in java (my opinion) is using
Axis. Go read a little bit about it 'cause it's pretty easy.
Basically, you will install and deploy Axis as a webapp in your
container (Tomcat for eg) and then you will create your simple java
program that you'd like to use as a webservice. After this, just put
this .java file inside a specific folder under Axis webapp structure
and you will be able to access the wsdl for this webservice from a url.
It's very simple, try search and read about Axis and you'll find out.

As i remeber you should also add .jws extention to java class. But you
can create service in such way only for fun or to check if your axis is
running, personaly don't know anyony who is using it.
ps.
And belive me, axis isn't the easiest way to do webservices :) Since i
started using XFire on my project, i never run axis again.

William Markito

Great! I never heard about xfire... I'll also take a look too!
Thanks for the tips Tomek! ;)

Part Pic

hello,
If you are interested in the computer,you can come to my picture
www.flickr.com/photos/partpic/.
We are the professional photograph website about the computer.
there are o lot of picture of some kinds of computer ,include
BIM,SUN,HP,EMC,HDS and others.Welcome you!

olle.sundblad

To learn the basics (which you should) you just need Tomcat.

Look at/edit their examples jsp/servlet, which you can get to from the
Tomcat start page after starting Tomcat (default:
http://localhost:8080).

After getting that to work you could start looking at various
frameworks etc.

/Olle