JAVA web site monitor application

mike

Hi All
I am looking for a simple Javascript that I can embed in a webpage
that will monitor several websites to ensure that they are active.
I beleive the javascript would have to connect to the specified website and
check that it could access a sertain line of text from that website. If it
does this ok then I need it to diplay a graphic (Green icon) if it cannot
get the text because the webpage is unavailable or the text has changed then
display a red icon. I need to check that the webserver is available every
15 minutes or so.
If anyone can point me in the right direction it will be very much
appreciated.
P.S I have seen this in operation on some website that show the mirrors
available for downloading programs etc.
Regards
Mike

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]>, Thu,
16 Apr 2009 17:46:37, mike <[email protected]> posted:

Subject line is unreasonable.
I am looking for a simple Javascript that I can embed in a webpage
that will monitor several websites to ensure that they are active.

IMHO, you should not be trying to use a Web page to do that, since -
*if* you were successful, you would be publishing a tool readily
modifiable to be a waste of resources or to have other antisocial
effects.

If a page is not put on a public access site, it is of course not a web
page.

I suspect that you would do better to use an HTA page <http://en.wikiped
ia.org/wiki/HTA_(programming_language)>, for which the Microsoft
newsgroups should be a better choice.

mike

John
Thank you for your reply however..
I am looking for advice on the possability of resourcing an java tool so
hence the reason for my post. I have seen this done with JAVA and I thought
that the more knowledgeable members of this newsgroup might be able to point
me in the right direction!

The type of thing I am after is used on many websites already in the public
domain! Check out http://www.gamecopyworld.com/ for an ideal example.

In my instance I am intending to run this 'application' (Definition is the
act of bringing something to bear; using it for a particular purpose) on a
large intranet where it is more important to show the availability of the
web server than the relativly small overhead that test that a page is
available would produce.

Regards
Mike
IT Practitioner.

Jeremy J Starcher

John
Thank you for your reply however..
I am looking for advice on the possability of resourcing an java tool so
hence the reason for my post. I have seen this done with JAVA and I
thought that the more knowledgeable members of this newsgroup might be
able to point me in the right direction!

The type of thing I am after is used on many websites already in the
public domain! Check out http://www.gamecopyworld.com/ for an ideal
example.

In my instance I am intending to run this 'application' (Definition is
the act of bringing something to bear; using it for a particular
purpose) on a large intranet where it is more important to show the
availability of the web server than the relativly small overhead that
test that a page is available would produce.

While it is possible to do this kind of monitoring through client-side
Javascript with server-side cooperation, thats not your best route.

If you are running a Windows client, then HTAs are a good choice since
they are able to bypass the same-origin policy. (HTAs run with
application level access and could even beep a pager if a server is
offline.)

Under Firefox, a GreaseMonkey script would have a similar effect and is
much easier to code than a regular extension.

The best implementation would need more information, like how many
servers you are monitoring and if they are on a LAN or WAN.

Jorge

Hi All
I am looking for a simple Javascript that I can embed in a webpage
that will monitor several websites to ensure that they are active.
I beleive the javascript would have to connect to the specified website and
check that it could access a sertain line of text from that website.

If you manage the websites that you'd like to monitor then yes, that's
easy to do in JavaScript from within a webpage. Forget about HTA's,
JAVA, etc. as JavaScript alone will do.
If it
does this ok then I need it to diplay a graphic (Green icon) if it cannot
get the text because the webpage is unavailable or the text has changed then
display a red icon.  I need to check that the webserver is available every
15 minutes or so.

No problem.