Java Web Start app icons keep going in user profile not All Users profile

Discussion in 'Java' started by Brad, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    We are deploying a java web start application that has been programmed
    and delivered to us by an outside vendor onto several machines that
    are shared by different users.

    All of the users log onto our network and authenticate to a windows
    domain.

    We would like all of the icons and java items to be deployed into the
    All Users profile so that other people that use these PCs don't have
    to keep reinstalling the applications and the icons.

    We have changed some of the jnlp files and the temporary files section
    of the javaws preferences to point to the all users profile section
    and have told javaws not to create icons and generally have
    accomplished our goal, BUT...

    When a new jar file is deployed, (which happens automatically at app
    launch to keep weveryone in sync with the correct versions), javaws
    deletes the all users icon and creates a new one on the users personal
    desktop.

    When the next user logs in, they will not see any icons.

    Are we missing something? We have tried this with several versions of
    javaws including the most current and all seem to behave identically.

    ....or is there something the app vendor must specify to make this
    work?

    Thanks,
    Brad

    Brad, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Brad

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:30:44 GMT, Brad
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Are we missing something? We have tried this with several versions of
    >javaws including the most current and all seem to behave identically.

    the first thing to understand is that JAWS itself knows nothing about
    features of windows peculiar to windows. Your JAWS app is just as
    happy to install on a Mac or Unix. The notion of the end user
    installing just for himself for everyone is a windows notion. In any
    other operating system the idea would be considered a ludicrous breach
    of security. Normally installing for everyone is done by the
    administrator.

    I would try an experiment and see what JAWS does if the administrator
    does the install.

    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 19, 2005