    Ditto for the duplicate JREs in J2SDK and Program Files

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 1, 2003

  2. On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 01:08:58 GMT, Roedy Green <> wrote:

    > Starting with JDK 1.4.2 Java Web Start gets installed many times. This
    > provides potential for using out of date copies. Here are places I
    > have seen it install:
    >
    > C:\j2sdk\jre\javaws\Java Web Start 1.2.0_03
    > C:\j2sdk\jre\javaws\
    > C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\javaws
    > C:\Program Files\Java Web Start
    >
    > This is getting ridiculous. Installing more than one copy just causes
    > confusion and creates potential for strange errors where you use an
    > out of date copy alternately with an up to date one.
    >
    > Ditto for the duplicate JREs in J2SDK and Program Files

    Amen. Although my experience is not as bad as yours, it's
    still mysterious to me why Sun insists on duplicate JRE's
    when installing J2SDK. Granted, you can turn off the install
    of the 2nd JRE in the Progam Files dir, but it shouldn't
    even be there in the first place. I would love to see the
    rationale behind this one. Perhaps they have a good reason,
    but I sure don't see it.

    If you allowed the install to add the 2nd JRE, you can easily
    remove it using the Add/Remove Programs icon from the Control
    Panel.

    As for the javaws stuff, I did not get the Java Web Start
    directories that you seem to have. Since javaws is part
    of the JRE (no idea why), it gets installed in each place
    the JRE does, so I end up with two copies of it, one in
    each JRE. I wonder why you ended up with those extra dirs?

    --Joe

    Joseph Millar, Jul 1, 2003

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:15:11 GMT, Joseph Millar
    <> wrote or quoted :

    > Granted, you can turn off the install
    >of the 2nd JRE in the Progam Files dir, but it shouldn't
    >even be there in the first place.

    that one does belong there because that is where it will be when you
    deploy. The one you don't need in the one is the JDK.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 1, 2003
  4. On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:40:31 GMT, Roedy Green <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:15:11 GMT, Joseph Millar
    > <> wrote or quoted :
    >
    > > Granted, you can turn off the install
    > >of the 2nd JRE in the Progam Files dir, but it shouldn't
    > >even be there in the first place.

    > that one does belong there because that is where it will be when you
    > deploy. The one you don't need in the one is the JDK.

    It doesn't matter to me which one they keep and which one
    they get rid of, but it would be easier on me the developer
    to keep the one in the JDK, that way the JDK and JRE are
    together and treated as one unit, especially when I go to
    upgrade to a new version. Valid arguments can be made both
    ways for which one to retain and which to deep six, I guess.
    The real consideration is the duplication of a fairly large
    piece of software. Wasteful and unnecessary.

    This is only an issue in JDK installations, which only
    developers with have, usually. A typical JRE install
    only installs into one directory, afaik.

    --Joe

    Joseph Millar, Jul 2, 2003
  5. Roedy Green

    xarax Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Starting with JDK 1.4.2 Java Web Start gets installed many times. This
    > provides potential for using out of date copies. Here are places I
    > have seen it install:
    >
    > C:\j2sdk\jre\javaws\Java Web Start 1.2.0_03
    > C:\j2sdk\jre\javaws\
    > C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\javaws
    > C:\Program Files\Java Web Start
    >
    > This is getting ridiculous. Installing more than one copy just causes
    > confusion and creates potential for strange errors where you use an
    > out of date copy alternately with an up to date one.
    >
    > Ditto for the duplicate JREs in J2SDK and Program Files

    Look at the bottom of the page for an explanation.

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/install-windows.html

    xarax, Jul 4, 2003