Java Web Start for Mac is a disaster

kj

As usual, Java for the MacOS X is a disaster. The tradition
continues.

I tried to download Java Web Start for the Mac and I was dumped at
a bug-report page. A very auspicious beginning for a potential
customer.

Then I tried to download the Panther 1.4.1 update. Another disaster.
The pkg file just sits there after one double-clicks it. No visible
installation, no feedback, nothing.

By this point 99.9% of potential customers would have already given
up on one's application and moved on. In short, if your customer
base has many Mac users, forget about Java Web Start.

One would think that by now the Apple and Sun folks would finally
get it right...

kj

J Krugman

In said:
I tried to download Java Web Start for the Mac and I was dumped at
a bug-report page. A very auspicious beginning for a potential
customer.

I had the same problem. It's really a shame. Web Start is such
a great idea, it's really unbelievable that they (Apple and/or Sun)
would ruin its potential like that. I was going to recommend Web
Start as a key technology in a major government grant proposal the
lab I work in is putting together, but our user base (research
biologists) is very Mac-oriented. With my disappointing experience
of Web Start on Macs, recommending it is out of the question, even
if it works flawlessly on Windows. As I said, what a shame.

Jill

Steve W. Jackson

:
:I had the same problem. It's really a shame. Web Start is such
:a great idea, it's really unbelievable that they (Apple and/or Sun)
:would ruin its potential like that. I was going to recommend Web
:Start as a key technology in a major government grant proposal the
:lab I work in is putting together, but our user base (research
:biologists) is very Mac-oriented. With my disappointing experience
:eek:f Web Start on Macs, recommending it is out of the question, even
:if it works flawlessly on Windows. As I said, what a shame.
:
:Jill
:[/QUOTE]

Where did either of you try to download Java Web Start for the Mac?
It's included in the Java 1.4.1 that's installed with OS X -- what's to
download? It works for me just the way it should.

As for the OP's complaint that double-clicking an installer package
didn't do anything -- that's a problem with system configuration, if a
pkg file isn't automatically opened with the Installer program. How can
you blame that on Java?

Get real, folks. If you piss and moan about things without knowing what
you're talking about, you won't get resolutions.

Andrew Thompson

Steve W. Jackson said:
:>I tried to download Java Web Start for the Mac and I was dumped at
:>a bug-report page. A very auspicious beginning for a potential
:>customer.
Get real, folks. If you piss and moan about things without knowing what
you're talking about, you won't get resolutions.[/QUOTE]

Your post gives me some hope Steve.

I delayed launching into 1.4 functionality until the
Mac VM was released. It was rather disappointing
to hear of the above experiences.

Could you do me a great service and check how the
JWS install of my project works for you?
[ This goes for all Mac users really, the more info, the better ]
http://www.physci.org/install/download.htm
The jar is around 1 Meg.

Steve W. Jackson

Andrew Thompson said:
::> In article <[email protected]>,
:>
:> >:
:> >:>I tried to download Java Web Start for the Mac and I was dumped at
:> >:>a bug-report page. A very auspicious beginning for a potential
:> >:>customer.
:....
:> Get real, folks. If you piss and moan about things without knowing what
:> you're talking about, you won't get resolutions.
:
:Your post gives me some hope Steve.
:
:I delayed launching into 1.4 functionality until the
:Mac VM was released. It was rather disappointing
:to hear of the above experiences.
:
:Could you do me a great service and check how the
:JWS install of my project works for you?
:[ This goes for all Mac users really, the more info, the better ]
:http://www.physci.org/install/download.htm
:The jar is around 1 Meg.
:
:--
:Andrew Thompson
:* http://www.PhySci.org/ PhySci software suite
:* http://www.1point1C.org/ 1.1C - Superluminal!
:* http://www.AThompson.info/andrew/ personal site

For some reason, the "plug-in" that Apple provides doesn't satisfy your
page's check for plug-in version, so each time I hit that page I get an
annoying page popping up in front of the main one telling me that I need
a newer plug-in. But when I actually clicked the download link, after a
brief delay I got a security warning. When I gave the OK, it downloaded
and ran just fine. Now I just have to hope that your program didn't do
anything malicious while I was running it. :)

= Steve =

Andrew Thompson

Steve W. Jackson said:
For some reason, the "plug-in" that Apple provides doesn't satisfy your
page's check for plug-in version, so each time I hit that page I get an
annoying page popping up in front of the main one telling me that I need
a newer plug-in.

I have 'rolled my own' primitive, but apparently effective
replacement for Sun's mehtods of ensuring JVM versions.

I merely specify a major Java version number in a hidden
Applet and redirect to another page if the installed Java is
not new enough.
..But when I actually clicked the download link, after a
brief delay I got a security warning.

A rather ugly one, at that, eh?
..When I gave the OK, it downloaded
and ran just fine. Now I just have to hope that your program didn't do
anything malicious while I was running it. :)

[ ..right now my software is analysing your system and
preparing a report for Bill Gates as it writes 'Java based
viruses' all over your system....

Bwah-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! (S**t! I wish I could keep a
straight face as I'm saying stuff like that - it'd be so
much more funnier..) ]

Thanks Steve! If I read your comments right, the page
seems to work as I expect. Much appreciated. :)

Steve W. Jackson

Andrew Thompson said:
::> In article <[email protected]>,
:.....
[...]