Java Web Start for Mac is a disaster

Discussion in 'Java' started by kj, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. kj

    kj Guest

    As usual, Java for the MacOS X is a disaster. The tradition
    continues.

    I tried to download Java Web Start for the Mac and I was dumped at
    a bug-report page. A very auspicious beginning for a potential
    customer.

    Then I tried to download the Panther 1.4.1 update. Another disaster.
    The pkg file just sits there after one double-clicks it. No visible
    installation, no feedback, nothing.

    By this point 99.9% of potential customers would have already given
    up on one's application and moved on. In short, if your customer
    base has many Mac users, forget about Java Web Start.

    One would think that by now the Apple and Sun folks would finally
    get it right...

    kj

    kj, Dec 15, 2003

  2. kj

    J Krugman Guest

    In <brl8d1$ejq$> kj <> writes:

    >I tried to download Java Web Start for the Mac and I was dumped at
    >a bug-report page. A very auspicious beginning for a potential
    >customer.

    I had the same problem. It's really a shame. Web Start is such
    a great idea, it's really unbelievable that they (Apple and/or Sun)
    would ruin its potential like that. I was going to recommend Web
    Start as a key technology in a major government grant proposal the
    lab I work in is putting together, but our user base (research
    biologists) is very Mac-oriented. With my disappointing experience
    of Web Start on Macs, recommending it is out of the question, even
    if it works flawlessly on Windows. As I said, what a shame.

    Jill

    J Krugman, Dec 16, 2003

  3. In article <brmtp5$n7$>,
    J Krugman <> wrote:

    >:In <brl8d1$ejq$> kj <> writes:
    >:
    >:>I tried to download Java Web Start for the Mac and I was dumped at
    >:>a bug-report page. A very auspicious beginning for a potential
    >:>customer.
    >:
    >:I had the same problem. It's really a shame. Web Start is such
    >:a great idea, it's really unbelievable that they (Apple and/or Sun)
    >:would ruin its potential like that. I was going to recommend Web
    >:Start as a key technology in a major government grant proposal the
    >:lab I work in is putting together, but our user base (research
    >:biologists) is very Mac-oriented. With my disappointing experience
    >:eek:f Web Start on Macs, recommending it is out of the question, even
    >:if it works flawlessly on Windows. As I said, what a shame.
    >:
    >:Jill
    >:

    Where did either of you try to download Java Web Start for the Mac?
    It's included in the Java 1.4.1 that's installed with OS X -- what's to
    download? It works for me just the way it should.

    As for the OP's complaint that double-clicking an installer package
    didn't do anything -- that's a problem with system configuration, if a
    pkg file isn't automatically opened with the Installer program. How can
    you blame that on Java?

    Get real, folks. If you piss and moan about things without knowing what
    you're talking about, you won't get resolutions.
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

    Steve W. Jackson, Dec 17, 2003
  4. "Steve W. Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <brmtp5$n7$>,
    > J Krugman <> wrote:
    >
    > >:In <brl8d1$ejq$> kj <> writes:
    > >:
    > >:>I tried to download Java Web Start for the Mac and I was dumped at
    > >:>a bug-report page. A very auspicious beginning for a potential
    > >:>customer.

    > Get real, folks. If you piss and moan about things without knowing what
    > you're talking about, you won't get resolutions.

    Your post gives me some hope Steve.

    I delayed launching into 1.4 functionality until the
    Mac VM was released. It was rather disappointing
    to hear of the above experiences.

    Could you do me a great service and check how the
    JWS install of my project works for you?
    [ This goes for all Mac users really, the more info, the better ]
    http://www.physci.org/install/download.htm
    The jar is around 1 Meg.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Dec 18, 2003
  5. In article <69aEb.56802$>,
    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:

    >:"Steve W. Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >:news:-berlin.de...
    >:> In article <brmtp5$n7$>,
    >:> J Krugman <> wrote:
    >:>
    >:> >:In <brl8d1$ejq$> kj <> writes:
    >:> >:
    >:> >:>I tried to download Java Web Start for the Mac and I was dumped at
    >:> >:>a bug-report page. A very auspicious beginning for a potential
    >:> >:>customer.
    >:....
    >:> Get real, folks. If you piss and moan about things without knowing what
    >:> you're talking about, you won't get resolutions.
    >:
    >:Your post gives me some hope Steve.
    >:
    >:I delayed launching into 1.4 functionality until the
    >:Mac VM was released. It was rather disappointing
    >:to hear of the above experiences.
    >:
    >:Could you do me a great service and check how the
    >:JWS install of my project works for you?
    >:[ This goes for all Mac users really, the more info, the better ]
    >:http://www.physci.org/install/download.htm
    >:The jar is around 1 Meg.
    >:
    >:--
    >:Andrew Thompson
    >:* http://www.PhySci.org/ PhySci software suite
    >:* http://www.1point1C.org/ 1.1C - Superluminal!
    >:* http://www.AThompson.info/andrew/ personal site

    For some reason, the "plug-in" that Apple provides doesn't satisfy your
    page's check for plug-in version, so each time I hit that page I get an
    annoying page popping up in front of the main one telling me that I need
    a newer plug-in. But when I actually clicked the download link, after a
    brief delay I got a security warning. When I gave the OK, it downloaded
    and ran just fine. Now I just have to hope that your program didn't do
    anything malicious while I was running it. :)

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

    Steve W. Jackson, Dec 23, 2003
  6. "Steve W. Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <69aEb.56802$>,
    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:

    > For some reason, the "plug-in" that Apple provides doesn't satisfy your
    > page's check for plug-in version, so each time I hit that page I get an
    > annoying page popping up in front of the main one telling me that I need
    > a newer plug-in.

    I have 'rolled my own' primitive, but apparently effective
    replacement for Sun's mehtods of ensuring JVM versions.

    I merely specify a major Java version number in a hidden
    Applet and redirect to another page if the installed Java is
    not new enough.

    >..But when I actually clicked the download link, after a
    > brief delay I got a security warning.

    A rather ugly one, at that, eh?

    > ..When I gave the OK, it downloaded
    > and ran just fine. Now I just have to hope that your program didn't do
    > anything malicious while I was running it. :)

    [ ..right now my software is analysing your system and
    preparing a report for Bill Gates as it writes 'Java based
    viruses' all over your system....

    Bwah-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! (S**t! I wish I could keep a
    straight face as I'm saying stuff like that - it'd be so
    much more funnier..) ]

    Thanks Steve! If I read your comments right, the page
    seems to work as I expect. Much appreciated. :)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Dec 24, 2003
  7. In article <QlaGb.63686$>,
    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:

    >:"Steve W. Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >:news:-berlin.de...
    >:> In article <69aEb.56802$>,
    >:> "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:
    >:.....
    >:> For some reason, the "plug-in" that Apple provides doesn't satisfy your
    >:> page's check for plug-in version, so each time I hit that page I get an
    >:> annoying page popping up in front of the main one telling me that I need
    >:> a newer plug-in.
    >:
    >:I have 'rolled my own' primitive, but apparently effective
    >:replacement for Sun's mehtods of ensuring JVM versions.
    >:
    >:I merely specify a major Java version number in a hidden
    >:Applet and redirect to another page if the installed Java is
    >:not new enough.
    >:
    >:>..But when I actually clicked the download link, after a
    >:> brief delay I got a security warning.
    >:
    >:A rather ugly one, at that, eh?
    >:
    >:> ..When I gave the OK, it downloaded
    >:> and ran just fine. Now I just have to hope that your program didn't do
    >:> anything malicious while I was running it. :)
    >:
    >:[ ..right now my software is analysing your system and
    >:preparing a report for Bill Gates as it writes 'Java based
    >:viruses' all over your system....
    >:
    >:Bwah-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! (S**t! I wish I could keep a
    >:straight face as I'm saying stuff like that - it'd be so
    >:much more funnier..) ]
    >:
    >:Thanks Steve! If I read your comments right, the page
    >:seems to work as I expect. Much appreciated. :)
    >:
    >:--
    >:Andrew Thompson
    >:* http://www.PhySci.org/ PhySci software suite