Java Web Start limitations

Roedy Green

Often an application has some auxiliary things you can do and you set
these up from the command line to be kicked off by clicking a
different icon. Java Web Start does not seem to have any facility to
invoke alternate main classes or pass them parameters other than hard
coded properties in the JNLP file. Is this correct?

Gerbrand van Dieijen

Often an application has some auxiliary things you can do and you set
these up from the command line to be kicked off by clicking a
different icon. Java Web Start does not seem to have any facility to
invoke alternate main classes or pass them parameters other than hard
coded properties in the JNLP file. Is this correct?
Yes imho.
There seems to be no other way then to make the jnlp file itself a dynamic
file, by generating it via a jsp or servlet with the mime type of jnlp
(application/jnlp I thought).

Christophe Vanfleteren

Gerbrand said:
Yes imho.
There seems to be no other way then to make the jnlp file itself a dynamic
file, by generating it via a jsp or servlet with the mime type of jnlp
(application/jnlp I thought).

close, but not exactly :)
It should be application/x-java-jnlp-file

Dale King

Roedy Green said:
Often an application has some auxiliary things you can do and you set
these up from the command line to be kicked off by clicking a
different icon. Java Web Start does not seem to have any facility to
invoke alternate main classes or pass them parameters other than hard
coded properties in the JNLP file. Is this correct?

Roedy, you are asking a lot of JNLP questions lately. You might want to
check out Gerald Bauer's unofficial FAQ:

http://lopica.sourceforge.net/faq.html

you might also want to ask your advanced questions here:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum=lopica-talk

The home page for all this is http://lopica.sourceforge.net

I happened to notice a link to information about what is coming in 1.5 for
WebStart which might interest you. It sounds like they are finally adding
something I asked for a long time ago the ability to associate file types
with WebStart apps:

http://servlet.java.sun.com/javaone/sf2003/conf/sessions/display-1486.en.jsp