    what is required and does anyone recommend any web hosting companies
    for doing this.

    thanks.
    C Student, Nov 16, 2006

  2. C Student wrote:
    > I was wondering what is required for java web start to work.

    1) A JNLP file (that connects to all the correct resources etc.)
    2) A server that will serve the JNLP file as the correct content-type.
    3) As a bonus, add a web page that checks for JWS and
    prompts download if not found.

    >...If I
    > wanted to get web hosting that supported java web start applications
    > what is required

    I guess that is a question, though questions usually end in '?'.

    See 'part 2' above. The host needs to either ensure that
    mime-type is set, or allows you the ability to set it for
    yourself.

    >..and does anyone recommend any web hosting companies
    > for doing this.

    Ditto the question mark - they are handy for the reader..

    Any (partly competent) host should be able to provide
    that simple requirement, it is not as if they need to
    run a 'servlet container' to get (basic) web-start working.

    I have used LunarPages, and consider them to
    be a bunch of useless incompetents on whom
    I would not waste urine should they be on fire,
    and currently user Prokmu*, who are fine..

    But then, both those choices were specifically made
    on the basis they provide a servlet container, which
    is not needed for basic web-start.

    * Reasonably priced plans - huge file-space and
    bandwidth, excellent support.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 16, 2006