Java Webstart hangs and gobbles up 95% CPU

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz

set-up:
Debian Linux
Blackdown 1.4.2 / Sun SDK 1.4.2

I start javaws from the cmd-line without parameters.

logged in as user x, Webstart Application Manager starts successfully:

y 10620 00:00:32 /usr/java/j2re1.4.2/bin/java ... com.sun.javaws.Main

logged in as user y on the same machine, the process hangs and eats 95%
cpu

y 10620 00:03:32 /usr/java/j2re1.4.2/javaws/javawsbin
y 10629 00:00:00 [java] <defunct>

If user y enters the command java ... com.sun.javaws.Main explicitly,
rather than calling javaws, the Webstart Application Manager is launched
sucessfully.

Other people have experienced the same problem:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-26423.html
concluding that this version of webstart does not function.
However, as demonstrated above, webstart does work. There must be
something about y's environment, which causes the problem.
Any ideas what that could be?

I experience exactly the same problem on a different machine which has
Sun's SDK 1.4.2 installed. If launching Webstart via java ...
com.sun.javaws.Main, the Webstart Application Manager comes up.

As you probably know, javaws is a shell script, which calls javawsbin,
which in turn calls java ... com.sun.javaws.Main.

Regards,
Tarlika