    resale?

    Thank You,
    Elliott
    E Tepp, Dec 6, 2003

  2. E Tepp

    Chris Smith Guest

    E Tepp wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I would like to know if it is possible to compile a java program, that
    > I have written, into an exe file for window and does not require a
    > virtual machine to run. I know I would only be able to run the program
    > on a windows platform but that would be fine.

    Yep, it's possible. Not necessarily free. Two good products that do it
    are "Excelsior Jet" and "Instantiations JOVE", and a Google search
    should turn up web sites for both.

    On Linux, there's also gcj, which is free but less full-featured. I'm
    not aware of free products to do this on Windows.

    > If this is not possible, does anyone know if it is legal to freely
    > distribute java virtaul machine with a program that is intended for
    > resale?

    Yes, of course it's possible. People do it every day. There are some
    restrictions (for example, you can only distribute the JRE, not the
    whole SDK; and if you install the JVM silently, you have to arrange for
    the user to agree to Sun's license terms and conditions first.). If you
    don't understand something about the license, you should of course have
    your attorney look it over first.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Dec 6, 2003

  3. E Tepp

    LDV Guest

    Chris Smith <> wrote in message news:<4.net>...
    > E Tepp wrote:
    > > Hello Everyone,
    > >
    > > I would like to know if it is possible to compile a java program, that
    > > I have written, into an exe file for window and does not require a
    > > virtual machine to run.

    > Two good products that do it are "Excelsior Jet" and "Instantiations JOVE",
    > and a Google search should turn up web sites for both.

    JOVE is discontinued, and its Web page suggests considering JET as an
    alternative:

    http://www.instantiations.com/jove/

    > On Linux, there's also gcj, which is free but less full-featured. I'm
    > not aware of free products to do this on Windows.

    Excelsior JET, Personal Edition is free for private non-commercial use
    (i.e. you cannot distribute the compiled program, but only run it on
    your own system, so that product looks more like a Java accelerator
    actually.)

    It should be possible to run GCJ on Windows under CygWin.

    LDV
    LDV, Dec 7, 2003
  4. E Tepp

    E Tepp Guest

    (LDV) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Chris Smith <> wrote in message news:<4.net>...
    > > E Tepp wrote:
    > > > Hello Everyone,
    > > >
    > > > I would like to know if it is possible to compile a java program, that
    > > > I have written, into an exe file for window and does not require a
    > > > virtual machine to run.

    > > Two good products that do it are "Excelsior Jet" and "Instantiations JOVE",
    > > and a Google search should turn up web sites for both.

    > JOVE is discontinued, and its Web page suggests considering JET as an
    > alternative:
    >
    > http://www.instantiations.com/jove/
    >
    > > On Linux, there's also gcj, which is free but less full-featured. I'm
    > > not aware of free products to do this on Windows.

    > Excelsior JET, Personal Edition is free for private non-commercial use
    > (i.e. you cannot distribute the compiled program, but only run it on
    > your own system, so that product looks more like a Java accelerator
    > actually.)
    >
    > It should be possible to run GCJ on Windows under CygWin.
    >
    > LDV

    Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful.

    Regards,
    E Tepp, Dec 8, 2003