java with ISAM , flat-file database with multiple keys

Mohammad S Khan

basically i need an example or some resources on developing a very low
level flat file database using java... i am working with very tight
space constraints and cannot use JDBC ...

I have been doing some searching but did not have much luck .. i did
find an article ..

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-1999/jw-01-step.html ...

i was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction with
some more resources ...

-
Mohammad S Khan
(e-mail address removed)

JKV

Have a look at Berkeley db. They have a C native version accessible through
Java wrappers via JNI and recently they also announced the pure Java
version.

I used the C version and I was very pleased with it. It uses minimal system
resources and allows different kind of indexes.

It's used a lot for embedded applications that don't require SQL.

It's also open source and, depending on how you use it, free.

More info on http://www.sleepycat.com

Jan

Dave Monroe

basically i need an example or some resources on developing a very low
level flat file database using java... i am working with very tight
space constraints and cannot use JDBC ...

Have a look at the HashTable class and the Serializable interface.

That may be appropriate.

Chris Uppal

Mohammad said:
basically i need an example or some resources on developing a very low
level flat file database using java... i am working with very tight
space constraints and cannot use JDBC ...

You don't say /how/ tight your space constraints are.

Still, a lightweight database like hsqldb:
<http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net>

or, Jisp:
<http://www.coyotegulch.com/products/jisp/index.html>

or one of the many DB-like offerings of Konstantin Knizhnik,
<http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/java.html>

or one of several others (that I can't remember offf-hand) might do what you
want. If you are willing to use a solution that is not pure Java, then the
field expands even more, SQLite for instance:
<http://www.sqlite.org/>

-- chris