    some more resources ...

    -
    Mohammad S Khan
    Mohammad S Khan, Aug 30, 2004

  2. Mohammad S Khan

    JKV Guest

    Have a look at Berkeley db. They have a C native version accessible through
    Java wrappers via JNI and recently they also announced the pure Java
    version.

    I used the C version and I was very pleased with it. It uses minimal system
    resources and allows different kind of indexes.

    It's used a lot for embedded applications that don't require SQL.

    It's also open source and, depending on how you use it, free.

    More info on http://www.sleepycat.com

    Jan

    JKV, Aug 30, 2004

  3. Mohammad S Khan

    Dave Monroe Guest

    (Mohammad S Khan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > basically i need an example or some resources on developing a very low
    > level flat file database using java... i am working with very tight
    > space constraints and cannot use JDBC ...

    Have a look at the HashTable class and the Serializable interface.

    That may be appropriate.
    Dave Monroe, Aug 31, 2004
  4. Mohammad S Khan

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Mohammad S Khan wrote:

    > basically i need an example or some resources on developing a very low
    > level flat file database using java... i am working with very tight
    > space constraints and cannot use JDBC ...

    You don't say /how/ tight your space constraints are.

    Still, a lightweight database like hsqldb:
    <http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net>

    or, Jisp:
    <http://www.coyotegulch.com/products/jisp/index.html>

    or one of the many DB-like offerings of Konstantin Knizhnik,
    <http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/java.html>

    or one of several others (that I can't remember offf-hand) might do what you
    want. If you are willing to use a solution that is not pure Java, then the
    field expands even more, SQLite for instance:
    <http://www.sqlite.org/>

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Aug 31, 2004