    place and which books to refer.

    pl guide
    , Feb 18, 2007

  2. On Feb 18, 9:22 pm, wrote:
    > What packages one should learn to become a java programmer.

    Can you vague that question up a bit for us?
    OK.. how about..

    The packages of the J2SE, though J2EE would
    be handy if you actually want employment.

    >.. which
    > backend database would be best and have more demand.

    Do you mean for volume of programming,
    or for actually serving clients?
    (BTW - I don't know.)
    > what softwares should i put in my computer in order to learn it at my
    > place

    The J2SE SDK, an editor/IDE, and the J2EE
    SDK if looking to do web services.

    >..and which books to refer.

    The Java Tutorial and JavaDocs are essential
    resources for Java programmers (just thought
    I should mention that in case you were not
    aware of the excellent HTML based resources
    available).

    Otherwise, you might check some of the
    reviews here..
    <http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html>

    > pl guide

    Please avoid SMS style text, we have
    the luxury of full keyboards and enough
    bandwidth to spell words fully.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 18, 2007

  3. murari garg Guest

    On Feb 18, 3:22 pm, wrote:
    > What packages one should learn to become a java programmer. which
    > backend database would be best and have more demand.

    For learning about java you can visit the tutorial on Sun Microsystem
    website. on this website you can find all the tutorial related to java
    with examples.

    > Had done Java 2 about 4 years back. need to brush up everything.

    If your oop's concept are clear till now than i think you will not
    going to have some trouble in learning java. java is very interesting
    language.

    > what softwares should i put in my computer in order to learn it at my
    > place and which books to refer.

    you can intall JDK 1.6 in your computer it .

    http://www.sun.com/download/

    and for compiling core java programme you can use Textpad software.

    www.textpad.com

    for books you go through orielly publication website. there you willl
    going to find all the books related to java books.

    murari garg, Feb 18, 2007
  4. Alex Hunsley Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 9:22 pm, wrote:
    >> What packages one should learn to become a java programmer.

    > Can you vague that question up a bit for us?
    > OK.. how about..
    >
    > The packages of the J2SE, though J2EE would
    > be handy if you actually want employment.
    >
    >> .. which
    >> backend database would be best and have more demand.

    > Do you mean for volume of programming,
    > or for actually serving clients?
    > (BTW - I don't know.)
    > ..
    >> what softwares should i put in my computer in order to learn it at my
    >> place

    > The J2SE SDK, an editor/IDE, and the J2EE
    > SDK if looking to do web services.

    The whole J2EE SDK shebang might be overkill to begin with - an first
    alternative might be to get hold of Tomcat to play with servlets/JSPs to
    begin with....
    Alex Hunsley, Feb 18, 2007
  5. On Feb 18, 10:18 pm, "murari garg" <> wrote:
    > and for compiling core java programme you can use Textpad software.
    >
    > www.textpad.com

    While TextPad* can invoke javac, and has
    a preconfigured menu item for it, it is
    *not* a compiler, but expects that the
    javac command has been installed/
    configured - through installing the JDK.

    * Note that I am referring to an old
    version, but I cannot see the author
    of TP complicating an editor that can
    edit HTML as easily as Java, by adding
    a java compiler.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 18, 2007

    On Feb 18, 4:22 pm, wrote:
    > What packages one should learn to become a java programmer.

    I suggest you learn about the java collections framework
    (java.util.*). Whatever line of work you do, this is bound to be
    useful.
    , Feb 18, 2007
  7. On Feb 18, 10:18 pm, "murari garg" <> wrote:

    ...me an email.

    Please note the 'Quote'..
    <http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?
    enc_user=7mTjyhYAAADCSWBnolz9mAH1YeBMyEJTo4cocwWvDVg2RHsu8f1bCg>

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 18, 2007
  8. Alex Hunsley Guest

    Alex Hunsley wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> On Feb 18, 9:22 pm, wrote:
    >>> What packages one should learn to become a java programmer.

    >> Can you vague that question up a bit for us?
    >> OK.. how about..
    >>
    >> The packages of the J2SE, though J2EE would
    >> be handy if you actually want employment.
    >>
    >>> .. which
    >>> backend database would be best and have more demand.

    >> Do you mean for volume of programming,
    >> or for actually serving clients?
    >> (BTW - I don't know.)
    >> ..
    >>> what softwares should i put in my computer in order to learn it at my
    >>> place

    >> The J2SE SDK, an editor/IDE, and the J2EE
    >> SDK if looking to do web services.

    > The whole J2EE SDK shebang

    .... which is now called Java EE, of course. I'm sure someone did a handy
    webpage that listed the numerous naming schemes Sun has used over Java's
    history, but I can't find it, can anyone point me at it again?
    lex

    Alex Hunsley, Feb 18, 2007
  9. murari garg wrote:
    > and for compiling core java programme you can use Textpad software.
    >
    > www.textpad.com

    The best general purpose text editor I've found for Windows is PFE,
    which can be downloaded from Winsite, http://www.winsite.com/

    PFE doesn't do syntax coloring, but does about anything else you'd want.
    It is completely configurable for all the usual stuff like auto-indent,
    line wrapping, etc, which are tied to the file extension. In addition
    its very fast, can handle huge numbers of files within an MDF master
    window and has the ability to pipe compiler output back into an editor
    window.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Feb 19, 2007
  10. Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > murari garg wrote:
    >> and for compiling core java programme you can use Textpad software.
    >>
    >> www.textpad.com
    >>

    > The best general purpose text editor I've found for Windows is PFE,
    > which can be downloaded from Winsite, http://www.winsite.com/
    >
    > PFE doesn't do syntax coloring, but does about anything else you'd want.
    > It is completely configurable for all the usual stuff like auto-indent,
    > line wrapping, etc, which are tied to the file extension. In addition
    > its very fast, can handle huge numbers of files within an MDF master
    > window and has the ability to pipe compiler output back into an editor
    > window.

    PFE has not been updated since 1999.

    I used it until 2001 or so. I liked it a lot.

    But it is not competive today.

    I am using JEdit today.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Feb 21, 2007

    , Feb 21, 2007
  12. Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Martin Gregorie wrote:
    >> murari garg wrote:
    >>> and for compiling core java programme you can use Textpad software.
    >>>
    >>> www.textpad.com
    >>>

    >> The best general purpose text editor I've found for Windows is PFE,
    >> which can be downloaded from Winsite, http://www.winsite.com/
    >>
    >> PFE doesn't do syntax coloring, but does about anything else you'd
    >> want. It is completely configurable for all the usual stuff like
    >> auto-indent, line wrapping, etc, which are tied to the file extension.
    >> In addition its very fast, can handle huge numbers of files within an
    >> MDF master window and has the ability to pipe compiler output back
    >> into an editor window.

    > PFE has not been updated since 1999.
    >
    > I used it until 2001 or so. I liked it a lot.
    >
    > But it is not competive today.
    >
    > I am using JEdit today.

    If JEdit matches or surpasses PFE then that's a good recommendation indeed.

    I haven't edited anything on a 'doze box for 2-3 years and my copy of
    Win95 is slowly dieing of bitrot. These days my main editor is
    microEmacs on Fedora or Microware's OS-9. Theres a decent Windows port
    of microEmacs too, though its probably not to everybody's taste.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Feb 21, 2007
  13. Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> Martin Gregorie wrote:

    >>> The best general purpose text editor I've found for Windows is PFE,
    >>> which can be downloaded from Winsite, http://www.winsite.com/
    >>>
    >>> PFE doesn't do syntax coloring, but does about anything else you'd
    >>> want. It is completely configurable for all the usual stuff like
    >>> auto-indent, line wrapping, etc, which are tied to the file
    >>> extension. In addition its very fast, can handle huge numbers of
    >>> files within an MDF master window and has the ability to pipe
    >>> compiler output back into an editor window.

    >> PFE has not been updated since 1999.
    >>
    >> I used it until 2001 or so. I liked it a lot.
    >>
    >> But it is not competive today.
    >>
    >> I am using JEdit today.
    >>

    > If JEdit matches or surpasses PFE then that's a good recommendation indeed.
    >
    > I haven't edited anything on a 'doze box for 2-3 years and my copy of
    > Win95 is slowly dieing of bitrot. These days my main editor is
    > microEmacs on Fedora or Microware's OS-9. Theres a decent Windows port
    > of microEmacs too, though its probably not to everybody's taste.

    For Java, I almost never use anything but Eclipse.

    Otherwise, on Windows, I tend to use SciTE for Ruby. Otherwise, I
    generally use EMEditor, because it has full programmable macros. But I
    keep TextPad as a backup, since it can edit hex data.

    When my ThinkPad was in the shop, and I had to use my wife's Mac for a
    while, I tried JEdit, but it seemed unnatural. vi (which I was familiar
    with from Irix) kept making trouble because of LF/CRLF issues. I really
    don't know what I'm going to do when (as I plan) I switch to a Mac,
    myself -- probably start huntine up Eclipse extensions.

    In many ways, I miss IBM's epm (for OS/2), especially the downloadable
    enhanced version that included the source code and compiler. (It was
    coded in a special language called E.)

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres
    John W. Kennedy, Feb 23, 2007
  14. Lew Guest

    John W. Kennedy wrote:
    > For Java, I almost never use anything but Eclipse.

    For Java, I use whatever the employer demands, but if they don't make demands,
    I use Netbeans. Mostly - my alternative is emacs.

    "Editor wars" <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_wars> have been around for
    a really long time.

    - Lew
    Lew, Feb 23, 2007
  15. John W. Kennedy wrote:
    > When my ThinkPad was in the shop, and I had to use my wife's Mac for a
    > while, I tried JEdit, but it seemed unnatural. vi (which I was familiar
    > with from Irix) kept making trouble because of LF/CRLF issues. I really
    > don't know what I'm going to do when (as I plan) I switch to a Mac,
    > myself -- probably start huntine up Eclipse extensions.

    Its always good to know vi because it works with minimal display
    capabilities and doesn't require much from the keyboard - not even arrow
    keys are needed, which is handy if you're really stuck with a bad
    termcap or terminfo definition. I've yet to see a *nix that doesn't have
    a version installed.

    OS X probably uses the vim flavor of vi. Its the standard version on
    Linux these days. Its has various improvements over the original and is
    pretty good as far as vi clones go - certainly better IMO that stevie or
    elvis. To complete the picture, I rather like pvic. This is a minimal vi
    clone that's written in pure C. I've used it with OS-9 and DOS.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Feb 24, 2007
  16. Ed Jensen Guest

    John W. Kennedy <> wrote:
    > vi (which I was familiar > with from Irix) kept making trouble
    > because of LF/CRLF issues.

    VIM (Vi IMproved) and GVIM (Graphical VIM) can recognize the newline
    sequence used by the file you're editing and adjust themselves
    automagically.
    Ed Jensen, Feb 24, 2007
  17. JussiJ Guest

    On Feb 24, 8:51 am, "John W. Kennedy" <> wrote:

    > Otherwise, I generally use EMEditor, because it has full
    > programmable macros.

    FWIW Zeus is also fully scriptable:

    http://www.zeusedit.com

    In fact Zeus scripts can be written in Lua, Python, TCL,
    Java Script, VB Script or Ruby ;)

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author: Zeus for Windows IDE
    JussiJ, Feb 28, 2007