Java

virach.vyas

What packages one should learn to become a java programmer. which
backend database would be best and have more demand.

Had done Java 2 about 4 years back. need to brush up everything.

what softwares should i put in my computer in order to learn it at my
place and which books to refer.

pl guide

Andrew Thompson

What packages one should learn to become a java programmer.

Can you vague that question up a bit for us?
OK.. how about..

The packages of the J2SE, though J2EE would
be handy if you actually want employment.
.. which
backend database would be best and have more demand.

Do you mean for volume of programming,
or for actually serving clients?
(BTW - I don't know.)
what softwares should i put in my computer in order to learn it at my
place

The J2SE SDK, an editor/IDE, and the J2EE
SDK if looking to do web services.
..and which books to refer.

The Java Tutorial and JavaDocs are essential
resources for Java programmers (just thought
I should mention that in case you were not
aware of the excellent HTML based resources
available).

Otherwise, you might check some of the
reviews here..

Please avoid SMS style text, we have
the luxury of full keyboards and enough
bandwidth to spell words fully.

Andrew T.

murari garg

What packages one should learn to become a java programmer. which
backend database would be best and have more demand.

For learning about java you can visit the tutorial on Sun Microsystem
website. on this website you can find all the tutorial related to java
with examples.

Had done Java 2 about 4 years back. need to brush up everything.
If your oop's concept are clear till now than i think you will not
going to have some trouble in learning java. java is very interesting
language.

what softwares should i put in my computer in order to learn it at my
place and which books to refer.

you can intall JDK 1.6 in your computer it .

http://www.sun.com/download/

and for compiling core java programme you can use Textpad software.

www.textpad.com

for books you go through orielly publication website. there you willl
going to find all the books related to java books.

Alex Hunsley

Andrew said:
Can you vague that question up a bit for us?
OK.. how about..

The packages of the J2SE, though J2EE would
be handy if you actually want employment.

Do you mean for volume of programming,
or for actually serving clients?
(BTW - I don't know.)
..

The J2SE SDK, an editor/IDE, and the J2EE
SDK if looking to do web services.

The whole J2EE SDK shebang might be overkill to begin with - an first
alternative might be to get hold of Tomcat to play with servlets/JSPs to
begin with....

Andrew Thompson

and for compiling core java programme you can use Textpad software.

www.textpad.com

While TextPad* can invoke javac, and has
a preconfigured menu item for it, it is
*not* a compiler, but expects that the
javac command has been installed/
configured - through installing the JDK.

* Note that I am referring to an old
version, but I cannot see the author
of TP complicating an editor that can
edit HTML as easily as Java, by adding
a java compiler.

Andrew T.

muntasir.khan

What packages one should learn to become a java programmer.

I suggest you learn about the java collections framework
(java.util.*). Whatever line of work you do, this is bound to be
useful.

Alex Hunsley

Alex said:
The whole J2EE SDK shebang

.... which is now called Java EE, of course. I'm sure someone did a handy
webpage that listed the numerous naming schemes Sun has used over Java's
history, but I can't find it, can anyone point me at it again?
lex

might be overkill to begin with - an first

Martin Gregorie

murari said:
and for compiling core java programme you can use Textpad software.

www.textpad.com
The best general purpose text editor I've found for Windows is PFE,
which can be downloaded from Winsite, http://www.winsite.com/

PFE doesn't do syntax coloring, but does about anything else you'd want.
It is completely configurable for all the usual stuff like auto-indent,
line wrapping, etc, which are tied to the file extension. In addition
its very fast, can handle huge numbers of files within an MDF master
window and has the ability to pipe compiler output back into an editor
window.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Martin said:
The best general purpose text editor I've found for Windows is PFE,
which can be downloaded from Winsite, http://www.winsite.com/

PFE doesn't do syntax coloring, but does about anything else you'd want.
It is completely configurable for all the usual stuff like auto-indent,
line wrapping, etc, which are tied to the file extension. In addition
its very fast, can handle huge numbers of files within an MDF master
window and has the ability to pipe compiler output back into an editor
window.

PFE has not been updated since 1999.

I used it until 2001 or so. I liked it a lot.

But it is not competive today.

I am using JEdit today.

Arne

Martin Gregorie

Arne said:
PFE has not been updated since 1999.

I used it until 2001 or so. I liked it a lot.

But it is not competive today.

I am using JEdit today.
If JEdit matches or surpasses PFE then that's a good recommendation indeed.

I haven't edited anything on a 'doze box for 2-3 years and my copy of
Win95 is slowly dieing of bitrot. These days my main editor is
microEmacs on Fedora or Microware's OS-9. Theres a decent Windows port
of microEmacs too, though its probably not to everybody's taste.

John W. Kennedy

Martin said:
If JEdit matches or surpasses PFE then that's a good recommendation indeed.

I haven't edited anything on a 'doze box for 2-3 years and my copy of
Win95 is slowly dieing of bitrot. These days my main editor is
microEmacs on Fedora or Microware's OS-9. Theres a decent Windows port
of microEmacs too, though its probably not to everybody's taste.

For Java, I almost never use anything but Eclipse.

Otherwise, on Windows, I tend to use SciTE for Ruby. Otherwise, I
generally use EMEditor, because it has full programmable macros. But I
keep TextPad as a backup, since it can edit hex data.

When my ThinkPad was in the shop, and I had to use my wife's Mac for a
while, I tried JEdit, but it seemed unnatural. vi (which I was familiar
with from Irix) kept making trouble because of LF/CRLF issues. I really
don't know what I'm going to do when (as I plan) I switch to a Mac,
myself -- probably start huntine up Eclipse extensions.

In many ways, I miss IBM's epm (for OS/2), especially the downloadable
enhanced version that included the source code and compiler. (It was
coded in a special language called E.)

Martin Gregorie

John said:
When my ThinkPad was in the shop, and I had to use my wife's Mac for a
while, I tried JEdit, but it seemed unnatural. vi (which I was familiar
with from Irix) kept making trouble because of LF/CRLF issues. I really
don't know what I'm going to do when (as I plan) I switch to a Mac,
myself -- probably start huntine up Eclipse extensions.
Its always good to know vi because it works with minimal display
capabilities and doesn't require much from the keyboard - not even arrow
keys are needed, which is handy if you're really stuck with a bad
termcap or terminfo definition. I've yet to see a *nix that doesn't have
a version installed.

OS X probably uses the vim flavor of vi. Its the standard version on
Linux these days. Its has various improvements over the original and is
pretty good as far as vi clones go - certainly better IMO that stevie or
elvis. To complete the picture, I rather like pvic. This is a minimal vi
clone that's written in pure C. I've used it with OS-9 and DOS.

Ed Jensen

John W. Kennedy said:
vi (which I was familiar > with from Irix) kept making trouble
because of LF/CRLF issues.

VIM (Vi IMproved) and GVIM (Graphical VIM) can recognize the newline
sequence used by the file you're editing and adjust themselves
automagically.