    takes 0.3 second! Is that to be expected or is it fixable?

    Thanks!

    Bura
    Bura Tino, Jul 1, 2003

  2. Bura Tino

    S. Balk Guest

    > I draw a little arrow and, as it should, it takes 0.000 seconds. Then
    > I set the composite to .5 to draw it in a semi-transparent way and it
    > takes 0.3 second! Is that to be expected or is it fixable?

    the transparancy in J2SDK 1.4.2 has been optimized according to the "what's
    new"
    S. Balk, Jul 1, 2003

  3. : I draw a little arrow and, as it should, it takes 0.000 seconds. Then
    : I set the composite to .5 to draw it in a semi-transparent way and it
    : takes 0.3 second! Is that to be expected or is it fixable?

    That seems long. Anyway you do know that transparency is not
    accellerated? This means that it will always be very much slower than
    drawing things in full color.
    Also how do you measure time of the draw? some may be accellerated...
    The best optimization is to stay away from transparency.

    /robo
    Robert Olofsson, Jul 1, 2003
  4. Bura Tino

    Bura Tino Guest

    (Robert Olofsson) wrote in message news:<bdsd1e$q9r$>...
    > : I draw a little arrow and, as it should, it takes 0.000 seconds. Then
    > : I set the composite to .5 to draw it in a semi-transparent way and it
    > : takes 0.3 second! Is that to be expected or is it fixable?
    >
    > That seems long. Anyway you do know that transparency is not
    > accellerated? This means that it will always be very much slower than
    > drawing things in full color.
    > Also how do you measure time of the draw? some may be accellerated...
    > The best optimization is to stay away from transparency.
    >
    > /robo

    I do System.currentTimeInMillis() just before the draw and just after.
    So the call is to stay away from transparency? BTW, what does
    "optimized according to 'what's new'" mean? That it's not optimized at
    all?

    Bura
    Bura Tino, Jul 2, 2003
  5. Bura Tino

    S. Balk Guest

    > what does "optimized according to 'what's new'" mean?
    > That it's not optimized at all?

    In J2SDK1.4.2 it should be faster than 1.4.1
    S. Balk, Jul 2, 2003