Java2D transparency: a long delay

Bura Tino

Hi,

I draw a little arrow and, as it should, it takes 0.000 seconds. Then
I set the composite to .5 to draw it in a semi-transparent way and it
takes 0.3 second! Is that to be expected or is it fixable?

Thanks!

Bura

S. Balk

I draw a little arrow and, as it should, it takes 0.000 seconds. Then
I set the composite to .5 to draw it in a semi-transparent way and it
takes 0.3 second! Is that to be expected or is it fixable?

the transparancy in J2SDK 1.4.2 has been optimized according to the "what's
new"

Robert Olofsson

: I draw a little arrow and, as it should, it takes 0.000 seconds. Then
: I set the composite to .5 to draw it in a semi-transparent way and it
: takes 0.3 second! Is that to be expected or is it fixable?

That seems long. Anyway you do know that transparency is not
accellerated? This means that it will always be very much slower than
drawing things in full color.
Also how do you measure time of the draw? some may be accellerated...
The best optimization is to stay away from transparency.

/robo

Bura Tino

: I draw a little arrow and, as it should, it takes 0.000 seconds. Then
: I set the composite to .5 to draw it in a semi-transparent way and it
: takes 0.3 second! Is that to be expected or is it fixable?

That seems long. Anyway you do know that transparency is not
accellerated? This means that it will always be very much slower than
drawing things in full color.
Also how do you measure time of the draw? some may be accellerated...
The best optimization is to stay away from transparency.

/robo

I do System.currentTimeInMillis() just before the draw and just after.
So the call is to stay away from transparency? BTW, what does
"optimized according to 'what's new'" mean? That it's not optimized at
all?

Bura