Java3d - modelling 3d map

Dave

I want to create a 3d map so that you can see roads and elevation (i.e.
terrain... so you can see hills). What objects should I use in the java3d
hierarchy to achieve this?

The package has a bunch of geometric objects such as Box, Cone, Cylinder and
Sphere... should I use a combination of these? Or is there some other
approach which will model terrain suitably?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ingo R. Homann

Hi Dave,
I want to create a 3d map so that you can see roads and elevation (i.e.
terrain... so you can see hills). What objects should I use in the java3d
hierarchy to achieve this?

The package has a bunch of geometric objects such as Box, Cone, Cylinder and
Sphere... should I use a combination of these? Or is there some other
approach which will model terrain suitably?

Any advice would be appreciated.

It has been a long time since I did anything with Java3D but I remember
that there was the possibility to define rectangles and polygons for
yourself without using the "highlevel"-objects Box, Cone, Cylinder and
Sphere. I think, a 'matrix' of rectangles or triangles (with texture)
would be apropriate for your purpose (view from top):

+-+-+-+-+
|/|/|/|/|
+-+-+-+-+
|/|/|/|/|
+-+-+-+-+
|/|/|/|/|
+-+-+-+-+

Ciao,
Ingo

nationdemon

Ingo said:
Hi Dave,

It has been a long time since I did anything with Java3D but I remember
that there was the possibility to define rectangles and polygons for
yourself without using the "highlevel"-objects Box, Cone, Cylinder and
Sphere. I think, a 'matrix' of rectangles or triangles (with texture)
would be apropriate for your purpose (view from top):

+-+-+-+-+
|/|/|/|/|
+-+-+-+-+
|/|/|/|/|
+-+-+-+-+
|/|/|/|/|
+-+-+-+-+

Ciao,
Ingo

Best way is using Shape3D Objects with GeometryArrays or
IndexedTriangleArrays. It's a lil bit tricky but it seems - to me - to
be the easiest way to do what you wanna do. As you'll see if you'll
take a closer look the Box Object is build out of Shape3D objects too.