    Sphere... should I use a combination of these? Or is there some other
    approach which will model terrain suitably?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Dave, Apr 9, 2006

  2. Hi Dave,

    Dave wrote:
    > I want to create a 3d map so that you can see roads and elevation (i.e.
    > terrain... so you can see hills). What objects should I use in the java3d
    > hierarchy to achieve this?
    >
    > The package has a bunch of geometric objects such as Box, Cone, Cylinder and
    > Sphere... should I use a combination of these? Or is there some other
    > approach which will model terrain suitably?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.

    It has been a long time since I did anything with Java3D but I remember
    that there was the possibility to define rectangles and polygons for
    yourself without using the "highlevel"-objects Box, Cone, Cylinder and
    Sphere. I think, a 'matrix' of rectangles or triangles (with texture)
    would be apropriate for your purpose (view from top):

    +-+-+-+-+
    |/|/|/|/|
    +-+-+-+-+
    |/|/|/|/|
    +-+-+-+-+
    |/|/|/|/|
    +-+-+-+-+

    Ciao,
    Ingo

    Ingo R. Homann, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Dave

    nationdemon Guest

    Ingo R. Homann schrieb:

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > Dave wrote:
    > > I want to create a 3d map so that you can see roads and elevation (i.e.
    > > terrain... so you can see hills). What objects should I use in the java3d
    > > hierarchy to achieve this?
    > >
    > > The package has a bunch of geometric objects such as Box, Cone, Cylinder and
    > > Sphere... should I use a combination of these? Or is there some other
    > > approach which will model terrain suitably?
    > >
    > > Any advice would be appreciated.

    > It has been a long time since I did anything with Java3D but I remember
    > that there was the possibility to define rectangles and polygons for
    > yourself without using the "highlevel"-objects Box, Cone, Cylinder and
    > Sphere. I think, a 'matrix' of rectangles or triangles (with texture)
    > would be apropriate for your purpose (view from top):
    >
    > +-+-+-+-+
    > |/|/|/|/|
    > +-+-+-+-+
    > |/|/|/|/|
    > +-+-+-+-+
    > |/|/|/|/|
    > +-+-+-+-+
    >
    > Ciao,
    > Ingo

    Best way is using Shape3D Objects with GeometryArrays or
    IndexedTriangleArrays. It's a lil bit tricky but it seems - to me - to
    be the easiest way to do what you wanna do. As you'll see if you'll
    take a closer look the Box Object is build out of Shape3D objects too.

    nationdemon, Apr 20, 2006