    infinite depth? I'd like to zoom in and out of an environment without
    limits, and with no clipping.

    Thank you for any help!

    Hoagie, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Hoagie

    Rick Guest

    Don't know about the clipping in Java but as for the infinite depth, is it
    possible? Yes and No. As far as I know you can't totally switch it off but
    you can give it a very high value. It depends on the size of you're world.
    But be aware! If you're using a big landscape or something with a huge depth
    of view you'll most probably slow down because of that polygons that need to
    be drawn.

    Besides, what you're doing is not really 'zooming' I think. If you increase
    / decrease the distance between the camera and the object you're depending
    on the depth of view. But you could also use the focallength of the
    camera(don't know where they put that in Java but it's probably somewhere).
    When changing the focallength, the camera stays at the same position but
    you're view 'zooms in/out'. Never tried it but if I'm right the clipping
    effect would be gone and you're not depending on the depth(unless the real
    distance between the object and the cam is already too large).

    Greetings,
    Rick

    Rick, Oct 15, 2003