    tools.

    Links to tutorials etc. are welcome.

    Bruce

    bruce phipps, Jul 7, 2004

  2. bruce phipps

    Phaero Guest

    Javadoc:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/javadoc/index.jsp
    Howto:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/javadoc/writingdoccomments/index.html

    /Johan

    Phaero, Jul 7, 2004

  3. bruce phipps

    Hal Rosser Guest

    Easiest way is to use something like BlueJ (BlueJ.org)

    "bruce phipps" <> wrote in message
    > I am working as a technical author with some developers who have
    > written some Java packages.
    >
    > I want to generate API docs similar to the ones distributed by Sun --
    > HTML format using frames. Click on the class name and the info is
    > displayed.
    >
    > Is it possible to do all this using javadoc, or do I need some other
    > tools.
    >
    > Links to tutorials etc. are welcome.
    >
    > Bruce

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Jul 8, 2004
  4. bruce phipps

    bruce phipps Guest

    Thanks Hal, looks interesting.

    bruce phipps, Jul 8, 2004
  5. bruce phipps

    bruce phipps Guest

    Thanks, Johan. I have looked at those links.
    However, I would prefer a step-by-step tutorial on how to build
    Sun-style API docs starting from being given the code by a programmer.
    Any other good javadoc tutorials on the web?

    bruce phipps, Jul 8, 2004
  6. bruce phipps

    Chris Uppal Guest

    bruce phipps wrote:

    > Thanks, Johan. I have looked at those links.
    > However, I would prefer a step-by-step tutorial on how to build
    > Sun-style API docs starting from being given the code by a programmer.

    Since you've said that you are working with some Java programmers, I suggest
    you ask one of them to run through the basics with you.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Jul 8, 2004
  7. bruce phipps wrote:
    > Thanks, Johan. I have looked at those links.
    > However, I would prefer a step-by-step tutorial on how to build
    > Sun-style API docs starting from being given the code by a programmer.

    Where else should it start? You are apparently missing how JavaDoc and
    similar tools (doxygen, DOC++, etc.) work:

    Someone (a programmer or a tech writer) places documentation in(!) the
    source code. Using a thing called an editor :). In Java the standard is
    that the API documentation is embedded in the source code, it is not
    lying around separately. You just add a few additional HTML pages with
    general descriptions if you feel like it. You feed the source code
    through JavaDoc, and it generates all the nice web pages you are so keen on.

    If you want to change the documentation, you drag that particular source
    code out of the version control system, and edit the comments containing
    the documentation. Then you run JavaDoc on the whole source code again.
    When you are satisfied, you put the changed code back into the version
    control system.

    So you better brace yourself for having to deal with real programmers
    and real source if you want to use JavaDoc documentation. Especially,
    talk to them so you get the JavaDoc invocation added to the build system
    instead of having to run it manually.

    /Thomas

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jul 8, 2004
  8. bruce phipps wrote:

    > I am working as a technical author with some developers who have
    > written some Java packages.
    >
    > I want to generate API docs similar to the ones distributed by Sun --
    > HTML format using frames. Click on the class name and the info is
    > displayed.
    >
    > Is it possible to do all this using javadoc, or do I need some other
    > tools.
    >
    > Links to tutorials etc. are welcome.
    >
    > Bruce

    Doxygen is my favourite.
    Doxygen is a documentation system for C++, C, Java, Objective-C, IDL (Corba
    and Microsoft flavors) and to some extent PHP, C# and D.
    Usually company uses not only Java but also other languages, thanks to
    Doxygen you have one type of documentation for all.

    Documentation you can find here:
    http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/manual.html

    It isn't very easy to use and configure for the first time, but I think it
    is worth of sacrifice.
    It also draws class diagrams and has simple GUI for configuration.

    --
    Cheers
    grundig

    Marcin Grunwald, Jul 8, 2004