    Randolf Richardson -
    The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch)
    http://www.lumbercartel.ca/
    Randolf Richardson, Feb 2, 2007

  2. Re: Javadoc including "java.lang.String" instead of just "String"for return values

    Randolf Richardson wrote:
    > How does one get the javadoc utility to show just "String" instead
    > of "java.lang.String" in its output?
    >
    > I've noticed that, for example, Sun's "awt.TextField.ParamString()"
    > method is documented as follows, and I'd like to make mine appear this
    > way for extremely well-known objects such as "String" as well:
    >
    > protected String paramString()

    You can use the "-link" (or may be the "linkoffline") option in your
    javadoc-run. This will for example generate
    protected String paramString()
    where "String" is a HTML-link to the JavaDoc page of java.lang.String.

    See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/windows/javadoc.html#link
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/windows/javadoc.html#linkoffline

    --
    Thomas
    Thomas Fritsch, Feb 2, 2007

  3. On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:21:09 -0800, Thomas Fritsch
    <> wrote:
    > Randolf Richardson wrote:
    >> How does one get the javadoc utility to show just "String" instead
    >> of "java.lang.String" in its output?
    >> I've noticed that, for example, Sun's
    >> "awt.TextField.ParamString()" method is documented as follows, and I'd
    >> like to make mine appear this way for extremely well-known objects
    >> such as "String" as well:
    >>
    >> protected String paramString()

    > You can use the "-link" (or may be the "linkoffline") option in your
    > javadoc-run. This will for example generate
    > protected String paramString()
    > where "String" is a HTML-link to the JavaDoc page of java.lang.String.
    >
    > See
    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/windows/javadoc.html#link
    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/windows/javadoc.html#linkoffline

    Thanks for the suggestion, and for the URI. It looks like "-link" is not
    exactly what I'm after, but in reading the document you referenced I found
    my answer -- for those who might be interested, the "-noqualifier"
    parameter solved my problem (specifically, I'm using "-noqualifier
    java.lang" since this section of the Java API is so well-known).

    Your help is greatly appreciated, and was what I needed to get the right
    solution. Thanks again!

    Randolf Richardson, Feb 3, 2007