JavaFX unsupported media problem with demos

Qu0ll

Is anyone able to get the Big Buck Bunny video sample on the JavaFX.com site
to work with Java 6 Update 12 or 14? I get an exception about unsupported
media format on Vista and Server 2003.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Qu0ll

Sabine Dinis Blochberger said:
A stab in the dark (haven't looked the example up) - missing codecs?

On my machine or on the web site? Surely it doesn't need anything special
to exist on my machine to run a web demo? Are you saying that it works for
you with Update 12 or 14?

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Qu0ll

[...]
The site presents a valid certificate, but it wants to downloaded a
runtime and allow an incoming connection.

Yes, and? Are you saying that you (or your firewall) are blocking it?
With JavaScript disabled, the
page shows a commented example and a link to the movie trailer:

So you can't run this example? Having JavaScript disabled must limit your
web enjoyment.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

John B. Matthews

"Qu0ll said:
[...]
The site presents a valid certificate, but it wants to downloaded a
runtime and allow an incoming connection.

Yes, and? Are you saying that you (or your firewall) are blocking it?

I'm saying that your firewall or browser may be blocking it.

[...]

Qu0ll

John B. Matthews said:
Qu0ll said:
[...]
The site presents a valid certificate, but it wants to downloaded a
runtime and allow an incoming connection.

Yes, and? Are you saying that you (or your firewall) are blocking it?

I'm saying that your firewall or browser may be blocking it.

No, I don't think that's the problem. I have tried it on a few different
machines and OSes and the only thing in common is that they use the same
version of Java.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Lew

Qu0ll said:
[...]
The site presents a valid certificate, but it wants to downloaded a
runtime and allow an incoming connection.

Yes, and? Are you saying that you (or your firewall) are blocking it?
With JavaScript disabled, the
page shows a commented example and a link to the movie trailer:

So you can't run this example? Having JavaScript disabled must limit
your web enjoyment.

Say, rather, that it enhances one's web enjoyment, by prevention of exploits
and malware and other garbage.

Qu0ll

Lew said:
Qu0ll said:
[...]
The site presents a valid certificate, but it wants to downloaded a
runtime and allow an incoming connection.

Yes, and? Are you saying that you (or your firewall) are blocking it?
With JavaScript disabled, the
page shows a commented example and a link to the movie trailer:

So you can't run this example? Having JavaScript disabled must limit
your web enjoyment.

Say, rather, that it enhances one's web enjoyment, by prevention of
exploits and malware and other garbage.

Do you include JavaFX in that category?

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Lew

Qu0ll said:
Lew said:
Qu0ll said:
[...]

The site presents a valid certificate, but it wants to downloaded a
runtime and allow an incoming connection.

Yes, and? Are you saying that you (or your firewall) are blocking it?

With JavaScript disabled, the
page shows a commented example and a link to the movie trailer:

So you can't run this example? Having JavaScript disabled must limit
your web enjoyment.

Say, rather, that it enhances one's web enjoyment, by prevention of
exploits and malware and other garbage.

Do you include JavaFX in that category?

Irrelevant.

Lew

Lew said:
Qu0ll said:
Lew said:
Qu0ll wrote:

[...]

The site presents a valid certificate, but it wants to downloaded a
runtime and allow an incoming connection.

Yes, and? Are you saying that you (or your firewall) are blocking it?

With JavaScript disabled, the
page shows a commented example and a link to the movie trailer:

So you can't run this example? Having JavaScript disabled must
limit your web enjoyment.

Say, rather, that it enhances one's web enjoyment, by prevention of
exploits and malware and other garbage.

Do you include JavaFX in that category?

Irrelevant.

If I see evidence that a site is trustworthy, I can enable JS for that site.
If I don't see evidence that the JS will make the site better, I can leave it
disabled. The burden is on the site to prove itself worthy.

John B. Matthews

[QUOTE="Lew said:
Qu0ll said:
Qu0ll wrote:

[...]

The site presents a valid certificate, but it wants to downloaded a
runtime and allow an incoming connection.

Yes, and? Are you saying that you (or your firewall) are blocking it?

With JavaScript disabled, the
page shows a commented example and a link to the movie trailer:

So you can't run this example? Having JavaScript disabled must
limit your web enjoyment.

Say, rather, that it enhances one's web enjoyment, by prevention of
exploits and malware and other garbage.

Do you include JavaFX in that category?

Irrelevant.

If I see evidence that a site is trustworthy, I can enable JS for that site.
If I don't see evidence that the JS will make the site better, I can leave it
disabled. The burden is on the site to prove itself worthy.[/QUOTE]

This is prudent. In this particular case, I found the site more useful
with JavaScript turned off: I got a nice syntax-colored example of
typical source code and a link to an entertaining trailer.

By way of comparison, I note that many development tools set off similar
alarms; but it's fairly striaghtforward to validate the certificate,
calculate the installer's checksum, and check the uplink's target. None
of these are foolproof, but they lend depth to one's security
environment.

Qu0ll

Sabine Dinis Blochberger said:
Qu0ll said:
[...]
Providing a link to that example would help overcome my own laziness ;)

You're right Sabine, that would have been helpful.

http://www.javafx.com/samples/SimpleVideoPlayer/index.html
It was reluctant to start playing, but it does work for me. My version is
06_11 though, x64 on Windows XP.

I strongly suspect the problem started with Update 12 as that's when they
started bundling the JavaFX libraries in the JRE.

--

Qu0ll said:
Sabine Dinis Blochberger said:
Qu0ll wrote:

[...]

Providing a link to that example would help overcome my own laziness
;)

You're right Sabine, that would have been helpful.

http://www.javafx.com/samples/SimpleVideoPlayer/index.html

It was reluctant to start playing, but it does work for me. My version
is 06_11 though, x64 on Windows XP.

I strongly suspect the problem started with Update 12 as that's when they
started bundling the JavaFX libraries in the JRE.
I just updated to 6_13 and it still works. It actually started playing
right away now. Maybe a Vista thing/bug...

It's not a Vista thing as I tried it on a Windows Server 2003 machine with
Update 12 and got the same error. I'll try Update 13 and see what happens.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)