javamail only for development?

Wendy S

I'm using Axis for web services, and the HappyAxis page is complaining that
mail.jar is missing. It's optional, but I figured I'd rather have all the
parts in case I need them later. But when I went to get JavaMail, this is
in the agreement:

1. Software Internal Use and Development License Grant. Subject to the
terms and conditions of this Agreement, including, but not limited to
Section 3 (Java(TM) Technology Restrictions) of these Supplemental Terms,
Sun grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to
reproduce internally and use internally the binary form of the Software,
complete and unmodified, for the sole purpose of designing, developing and
testing your Java applets and applications ("Programs").

What does this mean to me as a developer? Apparently it's okay for me to
design, develop and test using JavaMail... but I can't deploy anything for
actual use? Are there going to be commercial or open source implementations
then?

Thomas G. Marshall

[...]

Wendy, now you've litterally scared the living @#$% out of me.

I'm fairly sure that the term "develop" /must/ include deployment/sale. At
least that's the only sane reading I've ever had of it. They just don't
want you taking the class hierarchy itself and reselling it as such, even
though using it sends it along anyway.

IMO Sun would be swallowing an enormous cup of Drano should they be trying
to license out such a facility.

I'm sorry if I just don't know any more than that. I'm greatly interested
in other's more knowledgeable take on this.

Wendy S

I'm fairly sure that the term "develop" /must/ include deployment/sale.

If that's true, then why wouldn't the Apache Group just include mail.jar
with Axis rather than making me go download it separately?

http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/ has this:
The JavaMail API is implemented as a Java platform optional package and is
also available as part of the Java 2 platform, > Enterprise Edition. Sun
provides a royalty-free reference implementation, in binary form, that
developers will be able to use and ship.

That appears to be covered in the paragraph immediately after the one I
first posted:

2. License to Distribute Software. Subject to the terms and conditions of
this Agreement, including, but not limited to Section 3 (Java (TM)
Technology Restrictions) of these Supplemental Terms, Sun grants you a
non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to reproduce and distribute
the Software in binary code form only, provided that (i) you distribute the
Software complete and unmodified and only bundled as part of, and for the
sole purpose of running, your Java applets or applications ("Programs"),
(ii) the Programs add significant and primary functionality to the Software,
(iii) you do not distribute additional software intended to replace any
component(s) of the Software, (iv) you do not remove or alter any
proprietary legends or notices contained in the Software, (v) you only
distribute the Software subject to a license agreement that protects Sun's
interests consistent with the terms contained in this Agreement, and (vi)
you agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from and against any
damages, costs, liabilities, settlement amounts and/or expenses (including
attorneys' fees) incurred in connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by
any third party that arises or results from the use or distribution of any
and all Programs and/or Software.

So as far as I can tell, it's okay to distribute it in binary form, but you
have to jump through the appropriate hoops. There must be something in
there that conflicts with Apache's license, so they don't distribute
mail.jar but instead have you go get it separately and agree to the terms on
your own.

Thomas G. Marshall

Hmmm...

Could be the result of them being wary of licenses and "infection".

I think so too. Remember also that folks like apache have products that are
destined for an audience of engineers. Engineers are already used to
jumping through installation hoops...