javamail only for development?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Wendy S, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Wendy S

    Wendy S Guest

    I'm using Axis for web services, and the HappyAxis page is complaining that
    mail.jar is missing. It's optional, but I figured I'd rather have all the
    parts in case I need them later. But when I went to get JavaMail, this is
    in the agreement:

    1. Software Internal Use and Development License Grant. Subject to the
    terms and conditions of this Agreement, including, but not limited to
    Section 3 (Java(TM) Technology Restrictions) of these Supplemental Terms,
    Sun grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to
    reproduce internally and use internally the binary form of the Software,
    complete and unmodified, for the sole purpose of designing, developing and
    testing your Java applets and applications ("Programs").

    What does this mean to me as a developer? Apparently it's okay for me to
    design, develop and test using JavaMail... but I can't deploy anything for
    actual use? Are there going to be commercial or open source implementations
    then?

    --
    Wendy in Chandler, AZ
    Wendy S, Jul 17, 2003

  2. On [GMT+1=CET],
    Wendy S <> horrified us with:

    > I'm using Axis for web services, and the HappyAxis page is
    > complaining that mail.jar is missing. It's optional, but I figured
    > I'd rather have all the parts in case I need them later. But when I
    > went to get JavaMail, this is in the agreement:
    >
    > 1. Software Internal Use and Development License Grant. Subject to
    > the terms and conditions of this Agreement, including, but not
    > limited to Section 3 (Java(TM) Technology Restrictions) of these
    > Supplemental Terms, Sun grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable,
    > limited license to reproduce internally and use internally the binary
    > form of the Software, complete and unmodified, for the sole purpose
    > of designing, developing and testing your Java applets and
    > applications ("Programs").
    >
    > What does this mean to me as a developer? Apparently it's okay for
    > me to design, develop and test using JavaMail... but I can't deploy
    > anything for actual use? Are there going to be commercial or open
    > source implementations then?

    Wendy, now you've litterally scared the living @#$% out of me.

    I'm fairly sure that the term "develop" /must/ include deployment/sale. At
    least that's the only sane reading I've ever had of it. They just don't
    want you taking the class hierarchy itself and reselling it as such, even
    though using it sends it along anyway.

    IMO Sun would be swallowing an enormous cup of Drano should they be trying
    to license out such a facility.

    I'm sorry if I just don't know any more than that. I'm greatly interested
    in other's more knowledgeable take on this.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Wendy S

    Wendy S Guest

    Re: javamail only for development? [Apparently not]

    "Thomas G. Marshall" <>
    wrote

    > I'm fairly sure that the term "develop" /must/ include deployment/sale.

    If that's true, then why wouldn't the Apache Group just include mail.jar
    with Axis rather than making me go download it separately?

    http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/ has this:
    The JavaMail API is implemented as a Java platform optional package and is
    also available as part of the Java 2 platform, > Enterprise Edition. Sun
    provides a royalty-free reference implementation, in binary form, that
    developers will be able to use and ship.

    That appears to be covered in the paragraph immediately after the one I
    first posted:

    2. License to Distribute Software. Subject to the terms and conditions of
    this Agreement, including, but not limited to Section 3 (Java (TM)
    Technology Restrictions) of these Supplemental Terms, Sun grants you a
    non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to reproduce and distribute
    the Software in binary code form only, provided that (i) you distribute the
    Software complete and unmodified and only bundled as part of, and for the
    sole purpose of running, your Java applets or applications ("Programs"),
    (ii) the Programs add significant and primary functionality to the Software,
    (iii) you do not distribute additional software intended to replace any
    component(s) of the Software, (iv) you do not remove or alter any
    proprietary legends or notices contained in the Software, (v) you only
    distribute the Software subject to a license agreement that protects Sun's
    interests consistent with the terms contained in this Agreement, and (vi)
    you agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from and against any
    damages, costs, liabilities, settlement amounts and/or expenses (including
    attorneys' fees) incurred in connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by
    any third party that arises or results from the use or distribution of any
    and all Programs and/or Software.

    So as far as I can tell, it's okay to distribute it in binary form, but you
    have to jump through the appropriate hoops. There must be something in
    there that conflicts with Apache's license, so they don't distribute
    mail.jar but instead have you go get it separately and agree to the terms on
    your own.

    --
    Wendy in Chandler, AZ
    Wendy S, Jul 18, 2003
  4. Wendy S

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Wendy S wrote:
    > "Thomas G. Marshall" <>
    > wrote
    >

    >>I'm fairly sure that the term "develop" /must/ include deployment/sale.

    > If that's true, then why wouldn't the Apache Group just include mail.jar
    > with Axis rather than making me go download it separately?

    Hmmm...

    Could be the result of them being wary of licenses and "infection".

    See the bruhaha on the "LGPL is Viral for Java" story over at Slashdot
    http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/07/17/2257224
    Jon A. Cruz, Jul 18, 2003
  5. Re: javamail only for development? [Apparently not]

    On [GMT+1=CET],
    Jon A. Cruz <> horrified us with:

    > Wendy S wrote:
    >> "Thomas G. Marshall"
    >> <> wrote
    >>

    >>> I'm fairly sure that the term "develop" /must/ include
    >>> deployment/sale.

    >> If that's true, then why wouldn't the Apache Group just include
    >> mail.jar with Axis rather than making me go download it separately?
    >>

    > Hmmm...
    >
    > Could be the result of them being wary of licenses and "infection".

    I think so too. Remember also that folks like apache have products that are
    destined for an audience of engineers. Engineers are already used to
    jumping through installation hoops...
    Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 18, 2003