javamail only send to people within the same domain

Lin

Hello,
We use java to send email to our website users. It seems that emails
can only reach peopIe who are within the domain but not outside the
domain. I set java mail session debug on, it shows everything is ok. I
would like to know if this is a java program problem or a
network/exchange server problem.

Thanks in advance,

Lin

Tim Slattery

Lin said:
Hello,
We use java to send email to our website users. It seems that emails
can only reach peopIe who are within the domain but not outside the
domain. I set java mail session debug on, it shows everything is ok. I
would like to know if this is a java program problem or a
network/exchange server problem.

Sounds to me like a permissions problem somewhere on your network.

--
Tim Slattery
(e-mail address removed)

Knute Johnson

Lin said:
Hello,
We use java to send email to our website users. It seems that emails
can only reach peopIe who are within the domain but not outside the
domain. I set java mail session debug on, it shows everything is ok. I
would like to know if this is a java program problem or a
network/exchange server problem.

Thanks in advance,

Lin

Java Mail requires an SMTP server to deliver the mail. What server are
you using? If your server won't deliver mail outside the domain then
that could be your problem.

Greg R. Broderick

Hello,
We use java to send email to our website users. It seems that emails
can only reach peopIe who are within the domain but not outside the
domain. I set java mail session debug on, it shows everything is ok. I
would like to know if this is a java program problem or a
network/exchange server problem.

Given the paucity of information you've provided, it is nearly impossible
to provide even a guess. What happens when you try to send an email
outside of your domain? Could you post a copy of the SMTP session debug
output?

Perhaps your mail server has been configured to require authentication
prior to relaying email to a non-local address? If this is the case, try
turning on SMTP authentication in JavaMail and giving it another try.

Cheers
GRB

Lin

Hi All,
Thank you for all your response. I got it working now. The solution is
to use the relay email server instead of the exchange server when
setting mail.smtp.host property.

Thanks.

Lin

Nigel Wade

Lin said:
Hi All,
Thank you for all your response. I got it working now. The solution is
to use the relay email server instead of the exchange server when
setting mail.smtp.host property.

Isn't it curious how many times "the solution" is to use a SMTP server, rather
than Exchange... ;-)