JavaMail - SMTP - Exchange Server Authentication

Rico

From the JavaMail docs:

public void connect(java.lang.String host,
java.lang.String user,
java.lang.String password)
throws MessagingException

Throws:
AuthenticationFailedException - for authentication failures
MessagingException - for other failures
IllegalStateException - if the service is already connected

I call this method with a known wrong password for that host and username,
there is no exception thrown at all. Have I misread something?

The server is an Exchange Server that ThunderBird and MS Outlook and
Outlook Express have no problem using as SMTP server to send emails out to
wherever.

JavaMail sends the email through to only addresses from the same domain as
the SMTP server (set to allow relaying upon successful authentication),
regardless of authentication.

Am I missing something?

Rico.

Rico

A principle to bear in mind no matter how frustrated one might feel:
when the problem seems to have reached the most complex extremity, it's
time to approach it from the other end of the spectrum.

"And of course don't forget to set the mail.smtp.auth property to true to
enable SMTP authentication!"

Rico.