Java's performance far better that optimized C++

Discussion in 'Java' started by Gaurav, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Gaurav

    Gaurav Guest

    Gaurav, Jun 16, 2004

  2. Gaurav

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 16 Jun 2004 00:47:31 -0700, (Gaurav) wrote or
    quoted :

    >http://www.sys-con.com/story/print.cfm?storyid=45250

    the key is obviously the improved method calls. This is done though
    inlining. The big advantage hotspotting has is knowing what to
    inline. Inlining everything just gobbles up RAM with no payback.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 16, 2004

  3. Roedy Green wrote:

    > On 16 Jun 2004 00:47:31 -0700, (Gaurav) wrote or
    > quoted :
    >
    >>http://www.sys-con.com/story/print.cfm?storyid=45250

    > the key is obviously the improved method calls. This is done though
    > inlining. The big advantage hotspotting has is knowing what to
    > inline. Inlining everything just gobbles up RAM with no payback.

    Although note that gcc was run with -O2, which does not inline at all.
    gcc -O3 would have been a more reasonable comparison.

    A more interesting question: why does anyone pay any attention to
    microbenchmarks?

    David Hopwood <>

    David Hopwood, Jun 16, 2004
  4. Jonas Geiregat, Jun 16, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    Gaurav <> wrote:
    >http://www.sys-con.com/story/print.cfm?storyid=45250
    >
    >Any comments?

    Yeah, yahoos that don't proofread their subject line probably don't
    have a clue. You also misspelled far. I followed up to comp.lang.c++
    so you can get properly flamed for being a troll.

    Keith A. Lewis, Jun 17, 2004
  6. Gaurav

    Dave Monroe Guest

    (Gaurav) wrote in message news:<>...
    > http://www.sys-con.com/story/print.cfm?storyid=45250
    >
    > Any comments?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Gaurav

    Does 'apples and oranges' ring a bell?

    Big cycle suckers can be better - unless you need small and efficient.

    The answer is: it depends.

    Benchmarks are management fodder, and often the source of bad decisions.

    Dave Monroe, Jun 17, 2004
  7. Not sure if GCC is the best optimized compiler. May be these tests
    should be rerun with MS C++ compiler on Windows and Intel C++ 8.0 on
    Linux.

    Sandeep
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Sequence Diagrams (no drawing required)

    EventHelix.com, Jun 17, 2004
  8. Gaurav

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 17 Jun 2004 05:27:40 -0700, (Dave Monroe)
    wrote or quoted :

    >Benchmarks are management fodder, and often the source of bad decisions.

    Focusing on benchmarks is often being penny wise and pound foolish.

    What counts is getting the product out the door on time, bug free on
    budget, and doing that release after release. Whether it runs 5%
    faster nobody will notice.

    In fact for many programs it has to run 100% faster for it to be even
    psychologically noticeable.

    If you have a bottleneck you will get far more return on your time and
    money by profiling and tuning the critical section, especially
    choosing a smarter algorithm, than you ever will by backing off to a
    more manual language that introduces far more problems than it solves.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 17, 2004
  9. Gaurav

    JTK Guest

    JTK, Jun 18, 2004
  10. Gaurav

    Sudsy Guest

    JTK wrote:
    > Gaurav wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.sys-con.com/story/print.cfm?storyid=45250
    >>
    >> Any comments?
    >>

    > Just one:
    >
    > BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    >
    > Jesus von Neumann CHRIST you Javapologists, GIVE IT THE HELL UP ALREADY!

    How about one which has some semblance of intelligence behind it...
    Or perhaps signs of more than a couple of neurons firing...
    Perchance more than it would take to jerk the knee?

    Sudsy, Jun 18, 2004
  11. Gaurav

    Anon Amous Guest

    Consistently Stupid,
    thank you for another meaningless comment.

    Anon Amous, Jun 18, 2004