    http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/3.0/handbook/javascript/ref_a-c.htm#63602

    Are they not being supported by Netscape browsers any more. I program
    for IE only therefore am not aware of it.
    Aamir Ghanchi, Jun 25, 2004

  2. (Aamir Ghanchi) writes:

    > why is it that the documentation for javascript 1.5 does not talk
    > about the HTML elenments and their attributes and properties.

    Because that is now defined by the W3C DOM 2 HTML specification.
    <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/>
    in particular the ECMAScript binding:
    <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/ecma-script-binding.html>

    > For example the "checked" property of radio buttons.

    Search for "HTMLInputElement" in the latter document above.

    > The documentation for older versions mentioned it though.
    > http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/3.0/handbook/javascript/ref_a-c.htm#63602

    Yes, back then then Netscape also defined the DOM for their
    browsers. W3C attempts to standardize that now (and succeedes to a
    large degree in moderne browsers .... which excludes IE).

    > Are they not being supported by Netscape browsers any more. I program
    > for IE only therefore am not aware of it.

    Modern Netscape browsers are based on the Gecko engine from the
    Mozilla project, i.e., the same as the Mozilla browser (and Mozilla
    FireFox, Camino, KMeleon, etc). It is highly standards compliant.

    That means that many of the proprietary features of IE will not work.
    Luckily, IE, by version 6, is supporting some of the Core DOM, so you
    can make code that works in both IE and modern browsers.

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Jun 25, 2004

  3. Lasse Reichstein Nielsen wrote:
    > (Aamir Ghanchi) writes:
    >> why is it that the documentation for javascript 1.5 does not talk
    >> about the HTML elenments and their attributes and properties.

    > Because that is now defined by the W3C DOM 2 HTML specification.

    Yes and no. The reason is that what was part of the JavaScript core
    language until version 1.3 but referred to client-side host objects
    of Netscape Navigator (formally but not explicitely specified in
    ECMAScript Edition 3), also called DOM Level 0 (as supported from
    NN/IE 3 on), is now (v1.4+) part of the Gecko DOM which implements
    parts of the W3C DOM (Level 1+) but also contains proprietary extensions.

    <http://devedge.netscape.com/library/manuals/>
    <http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/>
    <http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/>

    Other DOMs, like the IE (5+) DOM or Opera's DOM, implement parts of
    the W3C DOM, too.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jul 5, 2004