javascript:__doPostBack error

Nikhil Patel

Hi all,
I have developed a web page with a sortable DataGrid with Select button
column in ASP.Net. It works fine in inernet explorer. The purpose of the web
page is to display it in a third party application. When I try to open my
page in that application, it loads fine. But when I click on any of the link
buttons to sort or select rows, it opens up a new blank internet explorer
window. Its address bar contains the following text:
javascript:__doPostBack('dgProposals$_ctl2$_ctl0','')

At the bottom of the page it displays an icon that says "Done" next to it.
When I click on the icon, it displays the details of the error. The error
is - "object expected".

Please note that if I open the page in internet explorer, I can sort
and select rows. The problem occurs only when I open the page in the third
party application. This is my first web application. So I don't know whether
the problem is in my application or the third party application does not
support the functionality I am trying to use.

Please help...

Thanks...
-Nikhil

Scott M.

Sounds to me like the 3rd party app, does support JavaScript or any html
page processing beyond HTML. When the link to click is encountered it
doesn't know to open the page within itself, so it calls IE to do it. When
IE opens, some of the postback arguments aren't getting passed or
understood.

Nikhil Patel

Thanks Scott.
Is there a solution or work around for this problem? Why would the 3rd
party app try to open a new window when I want to sort or select rows?

-Nikhil

Scott M.

Without knowing more about the 3rd part app, it's very hard to say, but when
you click a link on a DataGrid (which to the application is rendered as just
an HTML hyperlink with JavaScript attached to it) it is like requesting a
web page. So, my guess is that the 3rd party app wasn't designed to follow
hyperlinks displayed within it. Or, the app. is not JavaScript aware.