    How to do I display a popup message after a postback ?

    Thank You

    Peter
    Peter, Nov 7, 2008

  2. Hi Peter,

    You can try this:

    RegisterClientScriptBlock("test", "<script
    type='text/javascript'>alert('hello world!')</script>");
    }

    Please let me know if it works.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .

    --------------------

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Nov 7, 2008

  3. Peter

    George Guest

    Try to use
    this.Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript

    I recal it works with AJAX.

    George.

    George, Nov 7, 2008
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message
    > Try to use
    > this.Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript
    >
    > I recal it works with AJAX.
    >
    > George.
    >
    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>I need a popup alert after a post back.
    >>
    >> 1) user clicks on the submit button
    >> 2) Server side code runs and if the result is false I want to display a
    >> java script alert("It did not work")
    >>
    >> How to do I display a popup message after a postback ?
    >>
    >> Thank You
    >>

    >> Peter

    I've tried that already, nothing happens.
    Peter, Nov 7, 2008
  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Allen Chen [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > You can try this:
    >
    > protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    > {
    > RegisterClientScriptBlock("test", "<script
    > type='text/javascript'>alert('hello world!')</script>");
    > }
    >
    > Please let me know if it works.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Allen Chen
    > Microsoft Online Support

    > .

    > Note: MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
    > Engineer within 2 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
    > that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions. Issues of this
    > nature are best handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support
    > Engineer
    > by contacting Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
    > rights.
    > --------------------
    > | From: "Peter" <>
    > | Subject: Javascript alert
    > | Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 22:09:59 -0600
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    > |
    > | I need a popup alert after a post back.
    > |
    > | 1) user clicks on the submit button
    > | 2) Server side code runs and if the result is false I want to display a
    > java
    > | script alert("It did not work")
    > |
    > | How to do I display a popup message after a postback ?
    > |
    > | Thank You
    > |

    > | Peter

    No that does not work, I get no errors and no PopUp. If I put a break point
    at the RegisterClientScriptBlock the process does stop there.
    Peter, Nov 7, 2008
  6. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter" <> wrote in message

    >>> Try to use this.Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript

    >> I've tried that already, nothing happens.

    > George's response is correct. Do you have something like this...?
    >
    > protected void MyButton_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    > {
    > bool blnResult = <do server-side processing>;
    >
    > if (!blnResult)
    > {
    > ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(), "failure", "alert('It
    > did not work');", true);

    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVP
    > http://www.markrae.net

    The popup does not work even if you have

    if (1==1)
    {
    ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(), "failure", "alert('It
    did not work');", true);
    }

    if I add 'ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(), "failure",
    "alert('It did not work');", true);' in the Page_Load event it pops up only
    when the page loads it never displays on PostBack

    Peter, Nov 7, 2008
  7. uh....simply create a literal control in the end.
    when you want to popup, change its text property to something like this.

    LiteralControl1.Text = "<script type='text/javascript'>window.open("it works
    finally!")</script>"

    There are really so many ways to get javascript work in asp.net!
    I could even use Header and added an htmlgenericcontrol with similar text.

    --
    Vinay Khaitan
    [Windows Forms Layout Control]

    Vinay Khaitan, Nov 7, 2008
  8. Peter

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> if I add 'ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(), "failure",
    >> "alert('It did not work');", true);' in the Page_Load event it pops up
    >> only when the page loads it never displays on PostBack

    > See my previous reply..
    >
    > You've got the code in the wrong place - it needs to go in the button's
    > OnClick (or OnCommand) event, not the Page_Load event...
    >

    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVP
    > http://www.markrae.net

    It's in OnClick event and it does not work, besides in Page_Load event,
    I removed it from Page_Load event and still does not work.
    Peter, Nov 7, 2008
  9. Peter

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> It's in OnClick event and it does not work, besides in Page_Load event,
    >> I removed it from Page_Load event and still does not work.

    > Hmm - OK, please show the entire contents of the OnClick event...
    >

    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVP
    > http://www.markrae.net

    here's the code:

    protected void butReport_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {

    Peter, Nov 7, 2008
  10. Peter

    --

    Yes, the execution does stop on the line
    Peter, Nov 7, 2008
  11. Peter

    George Guest

    Is it possible that you doing redirect somewhere there....

    George.

    George, Nov 7, 2008
  12. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible that you doing redirect somewhere there....
    >
    > George.
    >

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Peter" <> wrote in message

    >>> Are you sure that it's actually being called? If you put a breakpoint on
    >>> it and click the button, does execution stop on the above line...?
    >>>

    >> --
    >>

    >> Yes, the execution does stop on the line
    >>> Mark Rae
    >>> ASP.NET MVP
    >>> http://www.markrae.net

    The problem is I am using AjaxToolkit, once I remove the UpdatePanels the
    message displays. But I want to use Ajax
    Peter, Nov 7, 2008
  13. > The problem is I am using AjaxToolkit, once I remove the UpdatePanels the
    > message displays. But I want to use Ajax

    Could not you tell this simple information earlier ?

    Vinay Khaitan, Nov 7, 2008
  14. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message

    > "George" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible that you doing redirect somewhere there....
    >>
    >> George.
    >>

    >> "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote in message

    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> Yes, the execution does stop on the line
    >>>

    > The problem is I am using AjaxToolkit, once I remove the UpdatePanels the
    > message displays. But I want to use Ajax

    I use this button as the trigger

    <triggers>

    <asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger ControlID="butReport" EventName="Click" />

    </triggers>
    Peter, Nov 7, 2008
  15. Okay, now the solution.
    ScriptManager.RegisterStartupScript()
    with similar argument syntax as earlier ones. If you are using update panel,
    you must be using ScriptManager.

    Vinay Khaitan, Nov 7, 2008
  16. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Vinay Khaitan" <> wrote in message
    > Okay, now the solution.
    > ScriptManager.RegisterStartupScript()
    > with similar argument syntax as earlier ones. If you are using update
    > panel, you must be using ScriptManager.
    >
    > --
    > Vinay Khaitan
    > [Windows Forms Layout Control]
    > http://www.smart-components.com/
    >

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "George" <> wrote in message

    >>> The problem is I am using AjaxToolkit, once I remove the UpdatePanels
    >>> the message displays. But I want to use Ajax
    >>>

    >> I use this button as the trigger
    >>
    >> <triggers>
    >>
    >> <asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger ControlID="butReport" EventName="Click" />
    >>
    >> </triggers>

    Thank you

    That fixed the problem
    Peter, Nov 7, 2008