Javascript alert

Peter

I need a popup alert after a post back.

1) user clicks on the submit button
2) Server side code runs and if the result is false I want to display a java
script alert("It did not work")

How to do I display a popup message after a postback ?

Thank You

Peter

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Peter,

You can try this:

RegisterClientScriptBlock("test", "<script
type='text/javascript'>alert('hello world!')</script>");
}

Please let me know if it works.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

--------------------
| From: "Peter" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Javascript alert
| Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 22:09:59 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I need a popup alert after a post back.
|
| 1) user clicks on the submit button
| 2) Server side code runs and if the result is false I want to display a
java
| script alert("It did not work")
|
| How to do I display a popup message after a postback ?
|
| Thank You
|

| Peter

George

Try to use
this.Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript

I recal it works with AJAX.

George.

Peter

Allen Chen said:
Hi Peter,

You can try this:

RegisterClientScriptBlock("test", "<script
type='text/javascript'>alert('hello world!')</script>");
}

Please let me know if it works.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

nature are best handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support
Engineer
rights.
--------------------
| From: "Peter" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Javascript alert
| Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 22:09:59 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I need a popup alert after a post back.
|
| 1) user clicks on the submit button
| 2) Server side code runs and if the result is false I want to display a
java
| script alert("It did not work")
|
| How to do I display a popup message after a postback ?
|
| Thank You
|

| Peter

No that does not work, I get no errors and no PopUp. If I put a break point
at the RegisterClientScriptBlock the process does stop there.

Peter

Mark Rae said:
George's response is correct. Do you have something like this...?

protected void MyButton_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
bool blnResult = <do server-side processing>;

if (!blnResult)
{
ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(), "failure", "alert('It
did not work');", true);

The popup does not work even if you have

if (1==1)
{
ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(), "failure", "alert('It
did not work');", true);
}

if I add 'ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(), "failure",
"alert('It did not work');", true);' in the Page_Load event it pops up only
when the page loads it never displays on PostBack

ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(), "failure", "alert('It did
not work');", true);

Vinay Khaitan

uh....simply create a literal control in the end.
when you want to popup, change its text property to something like this.

LiteralControl1.Text = "<script type='text/javascript'>window.open("it works
finally!")</script>"

There are really so many ways to get javascript work in asp.net!
I could even use Header and added an htmlgenericcontrol with similar text.

--
Vinay Khaitan
[Windows Forms Layout Control]

Peter

Mark Rae said:
See my previous reply..

You've got the code in the wrong place - it needs to go in the button's
OnClick (or OnCommand) event, not the Page_Load event...

It's in OnClick event and it does not work, besides in Page_Load event,
I removed it from Page_Load event and still does not work.

Peter

Mark Rae said:
Hmm - OK, please show the entire contents of the OnClick event...

here's the code:

protected void butReport_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(), "failure", "alert('It
did not work');", true);

Peter

George said:
Is it possible that you doing redirect somewhere there....

George.

The problem is I am using AjaxToolkit, once I remove the UpdatePanels the
message displays. But I want to use Ajax

Vinay Khaitan

The problem is I am using AjaxToolkit, once I remove the UpdatePanels the
message displays. But I want to use Ajax
Could not you tell this simple information earlier ?

Peter

Peter said:
The problem is I am using AjaxToolkit, once I remove the UpdatePanels the
message displays. But I want to use Ajax

I use this button as the trigger

<triggers>

<asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger ControlID="butReport" EventName="Click" />

</triggers>

Vinay Khaitan

Okay, now the solution.
ScriptManager.RegisterStartupScript()
with similar argument syntax as earlier ones. If you are using update panel,
you must be using ScriptManager.

Peter

Peter said:
I use this button as the trigger

<triggers>

<asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger ControlID="butReport" EventName="Click" />

</triggers>

Thank you

That fixed the problem