JavaScript and Components on Pages

Alex Maghen

Is there an Event in a page's life-cycle where I would be able to reference
all of the objects that were instantiated on a page, but as soon as possible
after the page loads? If I try to use OnLoad for the Document, objects like
ActiveX controls don't seem to "exist" yet on the page.

Ideas? Thanks.

Alex

Anthony Jones

Alex Maghen said:
Is there an Event in a page's life-cycle where I would be able to reference
all of the objects that were instantiated on a page, but as soon as possible
after the page loads? If I try to use OnLoad for the Document, objects like
ActiveX controls don't seem to "exist" yet on the page.

Which OnLoad event are you talking about exactly? Can you show use some
code? The elements holding the ActiveX controls will exist at the time the
client side window.onload event fires. Whether the contents of the elements
have been initialised and ready for use at the point is another matter.

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Alex,

I would use the AJAX Sys.Application.add_load event for this

---
WBR,

AM> Is there an Event in a page's life-cycle where I would be able to
AM> reference all of the objects that were instantiated on a page, but
AM> as soon as possible after the page loads? If I try to use OnLoad for
AM> the Document, objects like ActiveX controls don't seem to "exist"
AM> yet on the page.
AM>
AM> Ideas? Thanks.
AM>
AM> Alex

bruce barker

there iisn't an event for this. active/x control are loaded async. the onload
event means the html has been parsed, and the dom created, but images, and
active/x controls may not be ready yet (or even downloaded).

all IE hosted objects have a readyState property and an onreadystatechange
event. you can use to talk to the active/x control after its loaded and
initialized:

<object onreadystatechange="onReady(this)" ... />

function onReady(e)
{
if (e.readyState == 4)
{
// control is live
// do something here

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alex,

As other members have said, Activex control are hosted by client side
webbrowser, server side ASP.NET doesn't have much control on it. However,
if you only want to manipulate some setting or attributes in its html
markup, you can considering use page's "PreRender" event. This event is the
last event you can modify control states of controls on Page(will be
persisted into Viewstate) before Render stage.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng

Hi Alex,

Do you have any further question on this thread? If so, welcome to post
here.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 02:46:37 GMT
Subject: RE: JavaScript and Components on Pages