JavaScript and IE7 Browser Freeze

vunet

Hello,
Please recommend a hint, bring in ideas or anything you can to solve
IE7 freezing issue.
There is a basic website with some barely heavy JavaScript. If this
website is open in IE7 browser for a while (i.e. the whole day or
less) and user navigates away and back to the site or restarts the
browser going back to the site, IE7 freezes until you shut it down
with Task Manager. After the freeze this site works absolutely fine.
I went through memory leak problems and applied a few fixes attaching
and detaching events but the freeze still continues.
What are the possible ways to detect the problem? Any ideas are very
welcome. Sorry I cannot share too much info or show the link but I am
out of ideas what else it may be. JavaScript code seems to be totally
fine. All events are detached on page unload. There is a Google
tracking code and SWFObject but it's been there for a while before the
problem began.
Thanks a lot!

David Mark

vunet said:
Hello,
Please recommend a hint, bring in ideas or anything you can to solve
IE7 freezing issue.

What issue is that?
There is a basic website with some barely heavy JavaScript.
Where?

If this
website is open in IE7 browser for a while (i.e. the whole day or
less) and user navigates away and back to the site or restarts the
browser going back to the site, IE7 freezes until you shut it down
with Task Manager. After the freeze this site works absolutely fine.
I went through memory leak problems and applied a few fixes attaching
and detaching events but the freeze still continues.
What are the possible ways to detect the problem? Any ideas are very
welcome. Sorry I cannot share too much info or show the link but I am
out of ideas what else it may be. JavaScript code seems to be totally
fine. All events are detached on page unload. There is a Google
tracking code and SWFObject but it's been there for a while before the
problem began.

Flash. And why the hell does everyone use that crappy SWFObject? I
can't _find_ a browser that fails to display the Flash movies on my test
page. Last I checked, SWFObject was a browser sniffing piece of refuse.
I don't even think it is current as the author joined forces with some
other rube (as seen on A List Apart) to create a sequel. Whatever.

vunet

Flash.  And why the hell does everyone use that crappy SWFObject?  I
can't _find_ a browser that fails to display the Flash movies on my test
page.  Last I checked, SWFObject was a browser sniffing piece of refuse..
 I don't even think it is current as the author joined forces with some
other rube (as seen on A List Apart) to create a sequel.  Whatever.

Now as I researched more about it I will definitely try it.

Any other ideas in addition to this, perhaps?

Thanks.

vunet

vunet said:
Now as I researched more about it I will definitely try it.

Any other ideas in addition to this, perhaps?

Start by eliminating variables (Flash would top my list).

vunet

Start by eliminating variables (Flash would top my list).

OK I found. It's the IE not being able to load the script dynamically
by appending script element as child into the head element.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

vunet said:
OK I found. It's the IE not being able to load the script dynamically
by appending script element as child into the head element.

Yes, it is able to. You must be doing something wrong.

PointedEars