    vbscript?

    Thanks!

    Martin
    Martin, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Martin:

    > What needs to be installed on a server to be able to run javascript and
    > vbscript?

    A Microsoft server.

    --
    Bertilo Wennergren <> <http://www.bertilow.com>
    Bertilo Wennergren, Dec 3, 2003

  3. In article <bql0bu$k59$07$-online.com>, says...
    > Martin:
    >
    > > What needs to be installed on a server to be able to run javascript and
    > > vbscript?

    > A Microsoft server.

    Or Apache with the appropriate modules.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Hywel Jenkins:

    > In article <bql0bu$k59$07$-online.com>, says...

    >>Martin:

    >>>What needs to be installed on a server to be able to run javascript and
    >>>vbscript?

    >>A Microsoft server.

    > Or Apache with the appropriate modules.

    How good is the support for VBScript on Apache (with any appropriate
    modules)?

    --
    Bertilo Wennergren <> <http://www.bertilow.com>
    Bertilo Wennergren, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Martin wrote:

    > What needs to be installed on a server to be able to run javascript and
    > vbscript?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Martin

    If you mean the <script> tags, you _don't need a server at all_ ! They
    are only client side tags.

    Thomas
    Thomas Jollans, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Bertilo Wennergren wrote:

    > How good is the support for VBScript on Apache (with any appropriate
    > modules)?

    With Apache for Windows, I'd imagine it possible.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 3, 2003
  7. Martin

    Louis Somers Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in news:fanzb.2469$Qd6.2126
    @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > What needs to be installed on a server to be able to run javascript and
    > vbscript?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Martin

    Javascript or vbscript do not run on the server. They are embedded in a
    HTML page and are run by the browser on the clients computer.

    If you are talking about JSP (Java Server Pages) or ASP (Active S.P.) then
    you will need server side scripting support for eather or both languages.

    What do you want to do?

    - For processing data on the server with a database (delivering to your
    visiter or storing data they submit) you will need server side scripting.

    - For letting buttons highlight when hovering over them, or letting stars
    fly, ants crawl, fishes swim over your pages you're looking for javascript
    (or vbscript) and don't need any support for it on the server.

    --
    News Updater, No scripts, No Database
    http://www.xmlssoftware.com/NUpdater
    Louis Somers, Dec 3, 2003
  8. Martin

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <Xns9447379E8E540546179nospamstudent@194.109.133.29>,
    says...
    > > What needs to be installed on a server to be able to run javascript and
    > > vbscript?

    > Javascript or vbscript do not run on the server. They are embedded in a
    > HTML page and are run by the browser on the clients computer.

    ASP uses both server side Javascript and VBScript

    > What do you want to do?

    THAT is the real question!

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Dec 4, 2003
  9. Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <Xns9447379E8E540546179nospamstudent@194.109.133.29>,
    > says...
    >> > What needs to be installed on a server to be able to run javascript and
    >> > vbscript?

    >> Javascript or vbscript do not run on the server. They are embedded in a
    >> HTML page and are run by the browser on the clients computer.

    > ASP uses both server side Javascript and VBScript

    It also supports server side Perl, Python, etc.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 4, 2003
  10. Martin

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > In article <Xns9447379E8E540546179nospamstudent@194.109.133.29>,
    > > says...
    > >> Javascript or vbscript do not run on the server. They are embedded in a
    > >> HTML page and are run by the browser on the clients computer.

    > > ASP uses both server side Javascript and VBScript

    > It also supports server side Perl, Python, etc.

    It supports many things, but the questions was specifically about
    paragraph and VB script

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Dec 4, 2003
  11. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Let's See If I Got This Now

    HTML, Javascript and VBScript are programming languages that can be interpretted
    by Internet Explorer. This ability is built into IE and no other special
    software is required.

    Can IE interpret DHTML in the same way?

    What does Javascript and VBScript do that HTML can't do?

    Web pages are created with HTML code which may have Javascript or VBscript
    embeded in the code. The HTML code (and Javascript or VBscript if embedded) do
    not run on the server but are only run by Internet Explorer.

    The code of a webpage may also include ASP. A webpage with ASP requires a
    Windows server with Internet Information Server installed. ASP is run on the
    server.

    Many sites have a form with a submit button. So the form and button are created
    with HTML and the information in the form and the action of the Submit button
    are processed by ASP.

    Any and all further comments are welcome!

    Thanks,

    Martin

    Martin, Dec 4, 2003
  12. Martin

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Re: Let's See If I Got This Now

    "Martin" <> wrote:

    >HTML, Javascript and VBScript are programming languages

    No. HTML is not a programming language. HTML is a markup language. It
    simply describe what data _is_, it has no means of manipulating that
    data (no functions, variables, etc.).

    JavaScript and VBScript are programming languages.

    >that can be interpretted
    >by Internet Explorer. This ability is built into IE and no other special
    >software is required.

    Basically yes. IE (on Windows) is a part of the operating system and
    various components are scattered about throughout the operating
    system. For example the ability of IE to interpret JavaScripr resides
    in one particular .dll.

    Oh, and there are other browsers apart from IE.
    IE is really the only browser that uses VBScript, most web pages that
    use a client side scripting language use JavaScript.

    >Can IE interpret DHTML in the same way?

    DHTML is just a buzzword for manipulating HTML documents with a
    scripting language (usually JavaScript).

    >What does Javascript and VBScript do that HTML can't do?

    HTML describes data. (This is a heading, this is a list, etc).

    JavaScript and VBScript allow you to manipulate that data (perform
    calculations, redraw the contents of the screen without reloading the
    page, etc.) and to extend the functionality of the browser interface
    (open new windows, muck about with the status bar, etc.).

    >Web pages are created with HTML code which may have Javascript or VBscript
    >embeded in the code. The HTML code (and Javascript or VBscript if embedded) do
    >not run on the server but are only run by Internet Explorer.

    Yes. But the user can change their preferences to not allow scripting
    languages to run.

    >The code of a webpage may also include ASP.

    Yes. The ASP is parsed by the server and the results are sent to the
    browser. The results should be just HTML (plus optional scripting
    languages) like any other web page.

    ASP is actually a framework that allows the use of various scripting
    languages within it. So part of the code of an ASP page (still talking
    about the code that's parsed by the server and not sent to the
    brwoser) is written in a scripting language such as JavaScript or
    VBScript. Obviously what you can do with these languages on the server
    as part of an ASP page is somewhat different to what you can do with
    them in a browser. Almost all ASP pages use VBScript as their
    scripting language.

    > A webpage with ASP requires a
    >Windows server with Internet Information Server installed.

    No, but that is by far the commonest set up to run ASP.

    >ASP is run on the server.

    Yes.

    >Many sites have a form with a submit button. So the form and button are created
    >with HTML and the information in the form and the action of the Submit button
    >are processed by ASP.

    The form is part of HTML. When the form is submitted the browser sends
    the inputted data back to the server. A script on the server then
    parses the input and reacts accordingly. That script on the server may
    be written in ASP, but it may be written in Perl, PHP, JSP, Cold
    Fusion or any one of a large number of languages. ASP is by no means
    the only server side programming language.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Dec 4, 2003
  13. Re: Let's See If I Got This Now

    Martin wrote:
    > HTML, Javascript and VBScript are programming languages

    HTML is markup
    Javascript is a scripting language
    vbScript is a scripting language

    > that can be
    > interpretted by Internet Explorer. This ability is built into IE and
    > no other special software is required.
    >
    > Can IE interpret DHTML in the same way?

    Please define DHTML - last time I looked it was merely a buzzword to
    encompass HTML, CSS and client script.

    > What does Javascript and VBScript do that HTML can't do?

    run scripts?

    react to events, alter document content ...

    > Web pages are created with HTML code

    markup

    > which may have Javascript or
    > VBscript embeded in the code.

    markup

    > The HTML code

    markup

    > (and Javascript or
    > VBscript if embedded) do not run on the server but are only run by
    > Internet Explorer.

    They may do, if that is the authors intention and is allowed by the visitor

    > The code of a webpage may also include ASP.

    Nope - the ASP is all processed server side. The client won't see it. ASP
    is often used to generate markup for the page.

    > A webpage with ASP
    > requires a Windows server with Internet Information Server installed.
    > ASP is run on the server.

    Well, there are others, but practically a Windows server with IIS is needed
    to get the best from the technology.

    > Many sites have a form with a submit button. So the form and button
    > are created with HTML and the information in the form and the action
    > of the Submit button are processed by ASP.

    The information may be processed by ASP.
    The browser performs the action

    > Any and all further comments are welcome!

    What are you trying to achieve?

    > "Martin" <> wrote in message
    >> What needs to be installed on a server to be able to run javascript
    >> and vbscript?

    Both of these scripting languages will run within ASP.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Dec 4, 2003
  14. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Attn Steve And William

    Thank you for your thorough responses! I'm just trying to get an understanding
    of how these pieces all fit into the puzzle. You have helped tremendously. I
    appreciate the time you spent helping me.

    Martin

    Martin, Dec 4, 2003
  15. Martin

    Whitecrest Guest

    Re: Let's See If I Got This Now

    In article <PYHzb.3553$>,
    says...
    > HTML, Javascript and VBScript are programming languages that can be interpretted
    > by Internet Explorer. This ability is built into IE and no other special
    > software is required.

    Yes, but there is also ASP which uses Javascript and VBscript on the
    server. It will (or won't) come with your Web server

    > Can IE interpret DHTML in the same way?

    yes if they have javacript turned on.

    > What does Javascript and VBScript do that HTML can't do?

    They are a programing language, HTML is not. (at least not in the same
    sense)

    > Web pages are created with HTML code which may have Javascript or VBscript
    > embeded in the code. The HTML code (and Javascript or VBscript if embedded) do
    > not run on the server but are only run by Internet Explorer.

    Yes (and other browsers)

    > The code of a webpage may also include ASP. A webpage with ASP requires a
    > Windows server with Internet Information Server installed. ASP is run on the
    > server.

    For 99% of the cases yes.

    > Many sites have a form with a submit button. So the form and button are created
    > with HTML and the information in the form and the action of the Submit button
    > are processed by ASP.

    Yes (or other languages that do the same thing on the server)

    > Any and all further comments are welcome!

    You have hardly scratched the surface.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Dec 4, 2003
  16. Martin

    Whitecrest Guest

    Re: Let's See If I Got This Now

    In article <bqnjrr$246gbi$-berlin.de>, news27
    @tbdata.com says...
    > > Can IE interpret DHTML in the same way?

    > Please define DHTML - last time I looked it was merely a buzzword to
    > encompass HTML, CSS and client script.

    Or in simple terms, yes.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Dec 4, 2003
  17. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Re: Let's See If I Got This Now

    Thank you for your contribution! I'm sure many readers are benefiting from this
    thread.

    > You have hardly scratched the surface.>

    Could you provide a list of 3 to 5 major topics missing here.

    Thank you!

    Martin, Dec 4, 2003
  18. Martin

    Whitecrest Guest

    Re: Let's See If I Got This Now

    In article <4tLzb.3720$>,
    says...
    > > You have hardly scratched the surface.>

    > Could you provide a list of 3 to 5 major topics missing here.

    Validation/accesability, the use of client scripting, PHP, ISAPI, dot
    net, database connectivity, Design, FLASH, Multimedia. The list can go
    one and on for a very long time. The thread revelations hardly
    scratched the surface..

    > Thank you!

    No problem

    --